• Register Today It's free!

Wipers Icing up

cooter4x

Reaction score
City, State
Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 XLT 4x4 4.0 V6
So here in Central Ohio we got our first "real" snow of the winter. I had one heck of a time keeping my wipers from icing up on me. Has anyone else noticed this problem or was it because it was so cold here (6 degrees) nothing would have helped? I'm also not too impressed with the Michelin tires in the snow either... other than that I love the vehicle! :D

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I am in Northeast Ohio and it has been as cold as -4 degrees. It sounds to me like you need to get a set of winter wiper blades. You could get a set of Ancos for about $8 each. As soon as I bought my explorer I went and got a pair - they are a must have in our climate. Then when summer comes, just switch them back to the regular wipers - you don't even ned any tools, it's very simple.
As far as the tires go, I don't know because I have Goodyear Forteras which I love. With all of the snow we have had here and being so close to Lake Erie I haven't experience one slip or slide in my Explorer. I am very impressed and I haven't even had to take it out of 4X4 auto yet!

Definitely get the Anco winter blades. The blades are completely encased in a loose rubber sheath, so ice doesn't stick to them.

Yikes, just remembered. Its going to snow tonight with sleet and freezing rain tomorrow. I better change mine over!

The Michelin XLT M/S are actually better in snow than the Cross Terrains or the XLT A/T. A lot of Explorer owners really like the Bridgestone Dueler A/T Revos. Other prefer BFG.

Bob

Rain X Washer Fluid

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI so we got a lot of snow here, and it is cold. I just started using(2 weeks) Rain X De-icer Windshield washer fluid(it is orange) and will never use any other kind of fluid during the winter again. It is awesome and works great. Ice wont build up and it helps melt stuff already on the windshield. It also makes all the water and snow bead up so it can just roll of or easily come off from the the blades wiping it. It has a Rain X treatment/fluid of some sort in it and it works awesome. I highly recommend this for winter washer fluid. as for blades i got new ones earlier this year, and i think they were Anco of some sort, like Platinum or premier, nice ones, and they work great. Bosch's are also good wipers.

I'm in Grand Rapids, MI so we got a lot of snow here, and it is cold. I just started using(2 weeks) Rain X De-icer Windshield washer fluid(it is orange) and will never use any other kind of fluid during the winter again. It is awesome and works great. Ice wont build up and it helps melt stuff already on the windshield. It also makes all the water and snow bead up so it can just roll of or easily come off from the the blades wiping it. It has a Rain X treatment/fluid of some sort in it and it works awesome. I highly recommend this for winter washer fluid. as for blades i got new ones earlier this year, and i think they were Anco of some sort, like Platinum or premier, nice ones, and they work great. Bosch's are also good wipers.

The only thing I do not like about the Rain X De-icer is that if it gets on your hood, which it normally does, it screws with the wax. Just beads more in the areas where it hit the hood and beads weird.

I've got the 16" wheels with stock Michelin's. I think they are All Season (cross-terrain?). I thought I would regret not finding a vehicle with the 17" "all-terrain" tires, but these have been great so far!

I have spent the last week driving on unplowed roads with snow, slush and ice! Several 40 mile commutes and no loss of control at any speed whatsoever. Walked easily through 1 foot snow drifts. These tires feel just as good as the Michelin AT's I had on my 98. Surprised me! Of course, I am not talking about going off road here.

I may have to eat my words... lol... This was my first experience with the new Exp in snow and perhaps I wasn't used to how it felt in 4x4. This past 2 days we had about 8" with a 1/2" coating of ice on everything and I must say that this thing pushed through rather impressively. The previous vehicle I had was a Jeep Liberty which rides totally different. Plus I'm used to my old (78) Ford F250 4x4 with 35" mud terrain tires... fun!!! I will take the advice from above and get some winter wiper blades though. Thanks...

What Anco blades are you guys talking about? Every set of Anco blades I've ever had were total junk in any kind of weather/temperature.

What Anco blades are you guys talking about? Every set of Anco blades I've ever had were total junk in any kind of weather/temperature.

They are called Winter Blades, and they are encased in rubber. I don't have experience with too many other brands, other that what you can get at Wal-Mart or K-Mart. Maybe there is something better. What do you recommend?

The trick with wiper blades is to replace the whole blade, not just the rubber refill.

Here in NJ, we get wet snow, sleet and freezing rain, so the exposed metal parts of the blade can ice up quickly. Maybe someone makes a plastic or graphite composite blade that won't ice up.

Happy motoring!

Bob

Yeah I usually get the whole blade not just the rubber refill. Because of one reason or another I usually end up with the regular Anco blades as much as i hate them. That's what's usually availble, so I can't recommend anything else at this point. Although I was going to definitely get something else next time.

Another vote for Anco winter blades.

Over the years I've tried aftermarket "refills" (the worst). Triple edge, triple edge silicon, Anco, Trico and OEM refills. My first preference is OEM refills, followed by Anco. The OEM refills seem to last the longest and do the best job. Maybe it is the OEM blade that makes the difference. Never used the winter blades though.

Oops... i lied. Mine are Trico Innovision. Not sure why i thought they were Anco. sound the same? anyways, they work very well even though they look flimsy. They are not winter blades but they work. Haven't noticed the De-icer fluid messing up the wax but i haven't looked. I still highly recommend it. Im gonna check though. Windshield wipers are such a minor yet such important part of your car so don't base your purchase on price, they are not much anyways. And they can make a big difference.

I've got the 16" wheels with stock Michelin's. I think they are All Season (cross-terrain?). I thought I would regret not finding a vehicle with the 17" "all-terrain" tires, but these have been great so far!

I have spent the last week driving on unplowed roads with snow, slush and ice! Several 40 mile commutes and no loss of control at any speed whatsoever. Walked easily through 1 foot snow drifts. These tires feel just as good as the Michelin AT's I had on my 98. Surprised me! Of course, I am not talking about going off road here.

The Cross Terrains and LTX M/S have lots of sipes, those little slits in the treads. They help the tire to bite into the slippery stuff. All terrain tires typically have big lugs, but few sipes, which makes them better in mud but not as good on ice and slush.

Also, the tires should be aired up for winter driving, not aired down. For sand and mud you want to air down to float on top of the stuff, but for snow you want to air up to bite into it, unless you're riding on a crust of ice and are trying to avoid breaking through.

Bob

Bob,

That completely conforms to my observations of my tires performance. Also, since it has been so cold, I have been putting air in my tires regularly. I have been running at appx. 38 psi (35 recommended). That seems to be working good and probably helping the mpg a little too! Thanks for your input.

Back