Yet another HID questions thread. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Yet another HID questions thread.

I cant find a straight answer really, it seems like this company has great customer service, but everything else is different, then this company seems to have great ballasts, but seem to have terrible bulbs.

I found a set of 10,000k bulbs, and 2 ballasts in my shed and they were H1's (Used them in my 95's projectors, then I won a nice set on X2), so I put them in my fogs. They dont flicker, nor have or have I had any problems with them up until a couple days ago the drivers side bulb didnt wanna ignite, but after a few tries, it was fine. (And still is).

I bought a set of Xentec ultra mini ballasts, (Theyre damn small, and waterproof), and a set of bulbs from Xenon Wholesale (eBay vendor).
Theyre H3, 6000k (Ordered 5k but they sent 6k), and now after under an hour of use, theyre flickering SO bad. I believe its a complete "DC" kit, which they say are unreliable, and flicker. So I have been doing some research on here on where to buy a whole kit from, and ive pretty much narrowed it down to DDM Tuning.

I would like to get a 5000k H3 kit from them, question is, how are theyre kits? How is the customer service? Ive read reviews saying great products, but SLOW shipping, and bulb colors are simaler. (One guy said he ordered a 10,000k kit and a buddy ordered a 6000k kit and they looked the exact same)

I would go for VVME, since I had them on my 92' and LOVED them, but I just cant afford that right now, so thats another reason why im leaning towards DDM, theyre Raptor kits are on sale for 25$ (With about 15$ shipping :()

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anybody?

i tryed installing the DDM ( 10K's ) in my 3rd gen, and blew my headlight fuses...

i tryed reinstalling the hid's without the fuses, the put the fuses in, and still wont work...

i have one last shot @ HIDs, and if i get no luck im just sticking with Silverstar Ultra's

http://www.retro-solutions.com/

I have two trouble free kits from them as have many other members on the Lincoln MKX/Ford edge site. The kits are good and the service is great.
I would recomend them to anyone.

Caldwell, thanks for that info, seemed too good to be true anyways, and they just ended the sales, and jacked shipping up even more.

Bill, I noticed you've suggsted them in a few theads, didn't look much into it at first (All I saw was the 55w Digital kits that were like 140$ or something), and I can't really afford that, but I just clicked on it again and noticed the economy kits, for 45$ but they're only in 6000k and 10000k, id be happy with the 6000k kit, but I prefer a 5000k kit. It just scares me away, seeing "Economy"

I'm on my cellphone right now (At work), but ill look more into them when I get home.

What kit(s) are you running from them?

Brian, You buy cheap, you get cheap. What can I say.......

IMO headlights are one of the things you dont go cheap/inferior with as they are pretty important.
You cant afford to buy a quality product but you can afford to buy a couple of cheapies. Save up. It pays in the long run.

Brian, You buy cheap, you get cheap. What can I say.......

IMO headlights are one of the things you dont go cheap/inferior with as they are pretty important.
You cant afford to buy a quality product but you can afford to buy a couple of cheapies. Save up. It pays in the long run.

Yea, I fully agree with you, I mean its not even really an opinion, its a fact. I learned the hard way (Only because I didnt wanna believe the truth), but I guess ill be saving up some cash and getting the Retro kit.

(The non-economy ;))

Are you running the Digital kits? Have you heard anything about the Night Visions? They seem pretty legit, and the specs are JUST ABOUT the same as the Digital.

I will DEFINITELY be ordering that time-delay relay, ive been wanting one of those ever since I had HIDs on my 92. I wont have to worry about chirping the horn when I lock it, turning the key on when I forget to turn the auto-lamps off, etc.

I have the 35W Digital kits. See the chart on the website for the difference.
As I said their service is good and will answer email questions quickly.
Tell them you are a member of the Ford Edge forum and use EDGE code at checkout and you get some discount.

I've worked with 8 different DDM HID kits and have only had a problem with one....

Yes, shipping is slow as crap, but they also have a lifetime warranty, most places are only 1-2 year.

As far as plug and play kits go, i think DDM is one of the better companies with the better kits out there.... Lifetime warranty, waterproof digital slim ballasts. plug and play HID kits have gone down in price over the years, so if you are buying some bulky ass 200 dollar kit from ebay, you are getting ripped....

However, if you really want a no BS, 100% reliable, can always count on ballast, and are willing to pay, go with the morimoto 3Five from theretrofitsource.com The ignitors are built into the ballast and make it less bulky, fully waterproof, and all the morimoto stuff is made to OEM spec. Its really the best aftermarket stuff you can buy, bulbs included.

I checked out the site you suggested, and if this is the kit your talking about:
http://www.theretrofitsource.com/pr...d=170&osCsid=12a023102971cab3a65d86d0fe8a7056

They dont sell them in H3 :(

You could order the ballasts and harness, then order some H3 bulbs from DDM, and use the PnP adapters from TRS... You could email matt about this, maybe theres a slight chance he has some H3's laying around, or you could ask him and I'm sure he'll tell you to do what I did, use PnP adapters from TRS and use an aftermarket H3 bulb

I have a set of 3000K H3's, but thats to yellow for headlights

Couldnt wait any longer! I just sold an iPad on eBay and the profit covered this order:D

1-24-20114-23-15PM.png

i tryed installing the DDM ( 10K's ) in my 3rd gen, and blew my headlight fuses...

i tryed reinstalling the hid's without the fuses, the put the fuses in, and still wont work...

i have one last shot @ HIDs, and if i get no luck im just sticking with Silverstar Ultra's

most all digital kits will work in 3rd gen without relay. After running my hids in my fogs for about a year non stop the fuse blew, each time i put a new fuse in they would last about a day then blow it out. I uped the amps on the fuse to a 20 and they work with no problems now. That was in my fogs my headlights are on more than the fogs and i never had a problem, i also recently switched some of my setup around so that my 55w are my low beams and i still dont run a relay and they turn on everytime. I now i should get a relay so it doesn damage stock wiring but i will get around to it eventually. Caldwell 35w hit kit from ddm tuning will 100% work try uping the fuse.

I have put 20 amp fuses in for my low beams, but havent had a chance to put them in again, because its just to damn cold out. I dont have any access to an interior work space...

hopefully ill get them to work again...

I hear ya on the one man, it about 10• F here plus wind, I was out today after class taking my intake tube off to get to that small relay box to swap foglamp relays, mine would quit on me when I hit a big bump and turn back on so I haven't really been able to use my fogs lately and with my current cheap kit in my low beam its hard enough to see

Back