You can remove your seat belt while driving and no "belt minder" will turn on | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

You can remove your seat belt while driving and no "belt minder" will turn on

new to ford

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester Hills, MI
Year, Model & Trim Level
11XLT202A 17Sport401A
Hi,

Yesterday, as I was approaching home, I took off the seat belt a block away from home and I noticed no "belt minder" was activated.. All recent vehicles I have owned always trigger the "belt minder" if disengaged. Not that I encourage driving without a seat belt, but maybe they are trusting the owners will do the "right thing" and not un-latch the seat belts after the car has started? Or does my vehicle have a flaw?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Whatever you do don't get it updated....or tell the dealership....but in reality I wouldn't have posted it on here. Big Brothers are reading and you have now screwed yourself, your next service it will magicaclly appear.

You had better turn yourself in. By now the cyber police have read this and are actively searching for you; it's only a matter of time before you are caught anyway.

Whatever you do don't get it updated....or tell the dealership....but in reality I wouldn't have posted it on here. Big Brothers are reading and you have now screwed yourself, your next service it will magicaclly appear.

Wha?

or buy a chevy

you know back in the day they didn't have all this newfangled gadgetry to help you keep up with your vehicle

A responsible parent would like to know when a child in the vehicle unfastens the belt while the vehicle is moving. I suggest complaining to your dealer.

If the child was sitting in the front passenger seat (which they probably shouldn't be) then the driver would likely notice. There's no warning for the 2nd and 3rd row seats anyway.

Hi,

Yesterday, as I was approaching home, I took off the seat belt a block away from home and I noticed no "belt minder" was activated.. All recent vehicles I have owned always trigger the "belt minder" if disengaged. Not that I encourage driving without a seat belt, but maybe they are trusting the owners will do the "right thing" and not un-latch the seat belts after the car has started? Or does my vehicle have a flaw?

It takes more than a block to turn the "belt minder" on.

It takes more than a block to turn the "belt minder" on.
Bill is correct. I tested it on a long road on private property. I dove a short way with the belt on and then stopped. With the engine still running, I stepped out and and got back in. No light or chimes came on to tell me to fasten the belt. Started driving and after probably 2 minutes or so the dash light came on. This was followed shortly thereafter by the chimes. The chimes stopped after 6 seconds and then began again 30 seconds later. According to the manual, this senario will repeat for 5 minutes or until the belt is latched.

The manual tells you how to turn OFF the belt minder. It is a long drawn out process that must be followed EXACTLY. There is a process to turn off the drivers side, and a DIFFERENT (but similar) process for the passenger side. It only turns off the front seats. It only turns off the chime, the light still comes on.

I did this on my car. I spend a lot of time getting in and out while leaving the car running (working in the fields on the farm). I really like it.

Uh, in and out while the car is running (i.e. not parked)? Seems asking for trouble to me ... :crazy: :D

Back