you know your hardcore when....... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

you know your hardcore when.......

You know your hardcore when....

....when you jump your truck at a spur of the moment jump contest at the dunes, manage to show up trucks that have three times the suspension, caged and bigger balls, jump after jump, and manage to drive home, hit a small rut and then somehow dislocate and spread the leaf springs causing one of the leaf springs to go sideways and puncture a hole in your gas tank... "ow"

i managed to get the leaf pack to normal and patch up the whole with some duct tape and trailer it home.

holly.jpg
babyonbed.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how come im starting to see all these Xs without gas tank skid plates? i thought all had them?

anyway that sucks..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

clarkkent said:
oh, and could i upgrade to a broncoII gas tank and have it where my spare tire is?

I resently have had a new idea for this and plan to try it,but I'll sare it with you and everyone else if you want. Then you can all try it ...as long as I get credit for it when it works! :D

Stic-o said:
I resently have had a new idea for this and plan to try it,but I'll sare it with you and everyone else if you want. Then you can all try it ...as long as I get credit for it when it works! :D

hehe too late man, chad mcneil from mcneil offroad has already done it to linked explorers and alot of ranger guys have done it too..

96limitedX said:
how come im starting to see all these Xs without gas tank skid plates? i thought all had them?

anyway that sucks..

a lot of them dont have them.... long ago, i thought they all had them too.... my 94 did and so does my moms 96...... but i learned that they are an option... some had them, some didnt... and there was no special package that they came standard on or anyhting.....

Mine didn't have one when it was 2wd. Ford doesn't think a 2WD Mounty needs a skid plate I guess.. :D

Becuz 2wd explorers/mountaineers are lame!!!

clarkkent said:
hehe too late man, chad mcneil from mcneil offroad has already done it to linked explorers and alot of ranger guys have done it too..

Not to many people do it to the Explorers, because the B2 tank hangs down to far.

96limitedX said:
Somewhere around 98-99 I believe they quit putting them on. Mine didnt come with one and I know many other 2000s didn't either.

The BII tank only hangs down low if you dont mount it right, it requires some real modifications to your truck, and for you late model OBD-II guys you would also have to modify the tank for sensors, I am about to do this to my BII tank ( to accept the new OBD-II sensors) so watch my conversion thread on that, plan to do this weekend.

Jumping your truck does not make you hardcore, besides I bet those other guys drove home with no holes.

I personally would not trust a patch job given the position of the hole, the nature of yor driving, and the pressurized tank. Also explorer tanks are el cheapo at the junk yards.

Wouldnt some nice leaf clamps fix that issue for now?
My overloads used to walk around a bit, until I tightened the U bolts a bunch more, now they dont move.

BII tank into Explorer =
modifications to shock moutns
spare tire mount and X member
mods to floor possibly, custom straps and skid plate
89-90 BII fuel tank assembly (drop in pump and sender)
OBD-II sensor modifications
Body lift is helpful

the modding it to fit isnt a problem since im gonna have someone cut and make towers through my bed.

and my leafs did have those clamps, but when i landed, i sorta landed sideways, made the rear end dance a little bit, shifted the rear axle to the side a bit, bent the panhard bars which also broke the clamps.. argh!

go big or go home.. i went big, and i went home... on a trailer.. lol

410Fortune said:
The BII tank only hangs down low if you dont mount it right, it requires some real modifications to your truck, and for you late model OBD-II guys you would also have to modify the tank for sensors, I am about to do this to my BII tank ( to accept the new OBD-II sensors) so watch my conversion thread on that, plan to do this weekend.

Jumping your truck does not make you hardcore, besides I bet those other guys drove home with no holes.

I personally would not trust a patch job given the position of the hole, the nature of yor driving, and the pressurized tank. Also explorer tanks are el cheapo at the junk yards.

Wouldnt some nice leaf clamps fix that issue for now?
My overloads used to walk around a bit, until I tightened the U bolts a bunch more, now they dont move.

BII tank into Explorer =
modifications to shock moutns
spare tire mount and X member
mods to floor possibly, custom straps and skid plate
89-90 BII fuel tank assembly (drop in pump and sender)
OBD-II sensor modifications
Body lift is helpful

Jaime,

My idea is to use another tank rather then the B2 tank. My Plan is to use a S-10 Blazer (2-door)tank. The tank is only 10 1/2 deep, and hold around 20gal. The fill is on the same side, and it looks to fit with less modifcations. Plus the skidplate for them is really thick! But it's only a idea at this point.

GM18B.jpg

the bonus of the BII tank is the skid plate, the filler neck, and also the fuel pump drop in unit is the same as explorer.....

If you want to go that route, just get a fuel cell and mount it :)

410Fortune said:
the bonus of the BII tank is the skid plate, the filler neck, and also the fuel pump drop in unit is the same as explorer.....

If you want to go that route, just get a fuel cell and mount it :)

Fuel Cell's are not leagal for the street in California :(

If I can fins a Blazer tank cheap, it's worth a try. ;)

i just got a explorer tank. cost me 65 bucks. its a little beat up, but it doesnt have any holes. its from a rolled explorer. : (

fuel cells are not legal?

Holey moley when installed and plumbed properly they are far safer then a stock tank........

Only in CA :) I say hide it in the trunk. You know how many guys in CA run around in their muscle cars/hot rods/prerunners and 4x4's with fuel cells?
give me a break. :)

410Fortune said:
fuel cells are not legal?

Holey moley when installed and plumbed properly they are far safer then a stock tank........

Only in CA :) I say hide it in the trunk. You know how many guys in CA run around in their muscle cars/hot rods/prerunners and 4x4's with fuel cells?
give me a break. :)

I second this! I'm really surprised they're illegal.. I was, in fact, contemplating setting up a fuel cell in my X, for the sake of some possible suspension mods/4link rear..

Where'd you read that they are illegal?

Back