• Register Today It's free!

your engine bay?

willys5555

Reaction score
City, State
Spring TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
ok I admit it. I like shiny parts. :) But when I open my hood, it is all nasty and greasy. What can I and what can I not do to it to clean it? I dont really want to take the whole thing apart but being that i have a V8 5.0L in a 1997 Ford Explorer, it is kinda tight in the engine bay so it proves hard to get to. I dont want to ruin anything by putting water on it so is that possible? i know that it isnt water proof under there so i know a little water wont hurt but i wanted to make sure.

also what sort of "dress up" kits do they sell? and what ones are the best? Are they difficult to install? Does anyone have pictures of them? if so, could you post pictures or a link? Thanks a lot for your help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you just want to clean it, take a little simple green, and scrub a little bit. It will help a lot. Not sure if they have dress up kits for it, but just a good cleaning will do wonders.

yeah i need to clean out my engine bay as well i bought some simple green but i havent used it yet

Im gonna hit my sho when i get it out to do the tranny.

ok I admit it. I like shiny parts. :) But when I open my hood, it is all nasty and greasy. What can I and what can I not do to it to clean it? I dont really want to take the whole thing apart but being that i have a V8 5.0L in a 1997 Ford Explorer, it is kinda tight in the engine bay so it proves hard to get to. I dont want to ruin anything by putting water on it so is that possible? i know that it isnt water proof under there so i know a little water wont hurt but i wanted to make sure.

also what sort of "dress up" kits do they sell? and what ones are the best? Are they difficult to install? Does anyone have pictures of them? if so, could you post pictures or a link? Thanks a lot for your help.
hit it with a high presure washer and a bit of degreaser it wont do no damage

I don't recommend a high pressure washer, just a garden hose with a gentle spray. Use some simple green and some elbow grease with a scrub brush, then hose it off well. I'll occasionally use Prestone Steam (black can usually with the engine degreasers). Spray it on, let it stand, then rinse it off. It leaves the under-hood hoses, wiring, etc with an armor-all-like sheen to it, and gets the rest of the gunk off. Does a pretty good job by itself too.

-Joe

Myself, I always pass on using the high pressure washer. If I've ever used water, I've only hit it with the spray can degreaser, brush the heavy areas, and spray it with a garden hose on the light-medium mist. Then get the air compressor out and blow off the water, but don't get too close, you don't want too much pressure or you'll force water into places that shouldn't have water in them, mainly electrical connectors and sensors. Make sure you cover your electrical stuff with plastic, and clean those by hand. Then start the truck and let the heat dissipate the rest of the water. Only thing I remember is that some of the degreasers will turn your rubber hoses spotty white if you let them sit too long (like your rad hoses)

After that one episode, maintain it with a rag and simple green.

I've done this with my SHO's that were absolutely trashed, and my trucks. Been ok so far, but I know a lot of people that develop mysterious stutters and issues after washing engines, and the older the engine/electrical connectors, the more issues they have afterwards. Those posts usually start with "well I was washing my car at the quarter wash and decided to wash my engine..."

Those posts usually start with "well I was washing my car at the quarter wash and decided to wash my engine..."

Now who would do such a thing?;)

My Opinion on dress up kits, chrome actualy makes metal hold more heat in ;) painting and powder coating (you can buy kits that are coated) with the right colors actualy helps get rid of heat.

attachment.php

Here's an easy way to clean your engine bay...First use a degreaser as mentioned above to get rid of all the heavy grime. Then, get the engine slightly warm and then spray everything down with tire cleaner. Shut the hood and let it "cook" for about 30 minutes. Pop the hood and wipe off excess crud. You will be amazed at how well this works.

I've always wondered... where did you get all those blue parts from anyways? The covers to the fluids, the distribution box...what kinda tubes/hoses are those? and what's that part near the belt?

Paint.
Shhhhhhhhhh it is Chrysler blue engine paint.

The hose covers I got from Pep Boys ( auto parts store )
The part near the belts is some kind of bracket that un bolted easy so I painted that too.

It was my intention to as closely as possible match the blue on the MAC intake.

not to be an a$$ here or anythin but at the shop i work at
i do atleast 1 jasper motor job aweek(remove and reinstall)
sometimes a junkyard unit
we have a steamer that we use to clean the engine bays
and thats just a glorified xtremly hot water pressure washer that gets all the crap off
and ive been doin this for about 2 1/2 years and never ran into a problem
just my 2 sense

Looks like a perfect match Monmix, nice work.

I've thought about getting some wire/hose covers and putting them on some of the stuff under the hood.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

thanks guys. that blue paint doesnt harm the rubber in the hoses? but man it looks great. i cant wait until i get my engine cleaned up and get my intake. i ordered my new tires and rims today so little by little i am getting everything done.

Back