Cherrybomb's 99' EB 5.0L 2WD | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Cherrybomb's 99' EB 5.0L 2WD

Update 9-3-2009:
As of today, the X has been parted out and is headed for it's final resting place. You can read something of a little obituary for it here if you're interested.

Welp, I've been elite for a little while, might as well setup my registry.

Here's a picture of the truck currently.
4423541650_1887ed071f_o.jpg

sinisterX by qwikrex, on Flickr

Current mods.

- 18x9 +24mm Offset Saleen (replica) Wheels in Gunmetal
- 265x60x18 Cooper Discoverer HT tires
- Class III Hidden Hitch
- Trac-Lock rebuild with +1 clutch mod
- Taylor Spark Plug Wires
- NGK spark plugs (indexed)
- TrickFlow Diff Cover/Girdle
- Amsoil Bypass Oil Filtration
- Sound System w/ CarPC
- Explorer Express Rear Sway Bar & Endlink bushings for both front and rear
- Bilstein Shocks
- Powerslot Rotors
- Hawk Brake Pads

Planned for the near future (Parts on hand)

Planned for some time in the not too distant future.

- New Torsion Bar adjusters (as needed)
- New Balljoints (as needed)
- New Tie Rod Ends (as needed)
- Amtech "add-a-leaf" style handling improver http://www.amtechsprings.com

Planned for the more distant future

[Exterior/Apperance]
- Carbon Fiber B-Pillars
- EE Front Air Dam
- Custom Front Grill
- Lund WindJammer rear "wing"
- Some type of cowl or scoop hood
- Shorty billet antenna

[Stage 1]
- Bama Chips SCT tuner and tunes
- Torque Monster headers
- MAC cat-back exhaust
- MAC Cold Air Intake
- Baumann Shift Kit
- Powerslot Rotors
- Hawk Brake Pads

[Stage 2]
- Stroker or built/forged 306 (haven't decided yet)
- Ported GT40-P heads (California smog law prevents me from using an aftermarket head)
- Cam (haven't decided on profile, manufacturer etc.)
- Torque Converter
- Main Stud Girdle

[Stage 3]
- Ported Explorer Express Eaton SuperCharger with ~12psi pulley

[Alternate choices]
- Ditch the 5.0L Gas motor for the 4.5L GM Duramax Diesel that is supposed to go into 1/2 ton trucks around 2010
- Custom airbag suspension with parallel 4 link rear, and custom a-arms in the front

I'm sure there will be many, many other things along the road, but that's the current wish list.

The purpose of the vehicle will be a daily driver/family car. It's 2wd, so it's going to go the "Sport Truck" route, but I want it to remain tame enough to be on the road every day, and be dependable.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your truck looks awesome i like how the paint and gunmetal rims look together. You should get some clearcorners or something. Looks good

Nice looking truck. Really like the wheels. I was just reading the thread on them. I would recomend a 255/55 tire next time around like you said.

The 285 has a very good chance on rubbing the upper ball joint so I'd stay away from that. Very good looking though!

IAmTodd said:
Nice looking truck. Really like the wheels. I was just reading the thread on them. I would recomend a 255/55 tire next time around like you said.

The 285 has a very good chance on rubbing the upper ball joint so I'd stay away from that. Very good looking though!

Hey Todd,

Thanks for noticing, and for the info. I couldn't seem to find any info on your truck, but I presume you're running a 255/55?

I gotta get over this whole tire size thing, I feel like I'd lose something going down to a 255, but it's only a centimeter smaller in diameter, and I've already got plenty of traction. ;)

Anywho, your truck looks pretty good too, I'd love to see/read more about it.

Edit: And by diameter, I mean width. Yeesh

Here's my registry. Don't want to clutter your page up ;)

I'm really happy with my 255/55s. These are rather worn though and are probably slightly smaller. Will be upgrading to BFG KDWs is all goes well next Spring as well as getting the wheels powder coated.

I love the look of your truck, the maroon EB is one my favorite paint schemes ford offered, and the gunmetal wheels look really nice. One thing, i would not recommend the MAC cat-back exhaust. I may have been just one in a million with bad experience, but mine was horrible quality. Long story short, all i have left of it now is the muffler with a turn down, and a washer and pin holding the hangers in for dear life. I also noticed little if any performance gain and the sound isn't what i was hoping for. I say get a custom setup at a local shop and you'll be happier.

I love the look of your truck, the maroon EB is one my favorite paint schemes ford offered, and the gunmetal wheels look really nice. One thing, i would not recommend the MAC cat-back exhaust. I may have been just one in a million with bad experience, but mine was horrible quality. Long story short, all i have left of it now is the muffler with a turn down, and a washer and pin holding the hangers in for dear life. I also noticed little if any performance gain and the sound isn't what i was hoping for. I say get a custom setup at a local shop and you'll be happier.

Thanks Mounty. I like the color combo a lot too, very glad I found it. Didn't even know it existed until I looked at this truck. :)

On the cat-back, I'll probably re-consider it before I actually get something installed. When I first looked at it, the price of a muffler, resonator, and tip was more than the assembled cost of the MAC cat-back, so it seemed more appropriate, but if it's just going to fall apart, it's probably not a "deal" eh?

Your mounty looks CLEAN too. Glad that you can appreciate a "street" truck. Lots of guys get very polarized on the street vs. 4x4 thing. I can also appreciate both since I've owned a few "serious" 4x4's in the past including a pretty built 89 Suzuki Samurai riding on 31's, with front and rear lockers, and a low range T-case, among other things.

How do you like that torsen diff? Is that in the front or rear? I want to upgrade my 8.8 rear to a torsen/gear style LSD, but I thought the only option was a detroit tru-track.

Ya i can definitely appreciate the street trucks, i almost went that route before i found this site. I am just really picky when it comes to cosmetic modifications and wheel and tire packages and all that, but you've done everything right for my taste.

How do you like that torsen diff? Is that in the front or rear? I want to upgrade my 8.8 rear to a torsen/gear style LSD, but I thought the only option was a detroit tru-track.

My trucks 2wd, sooo...i guess you can figure it out :) As for how i like it, i don't know yet, its been in my truck less than a week. But i am going on the truckhaven trip you may have heard of this weekend, so i will get back to you when i actually get to use it. As for installation, well thats another story. Mines out of a ranger fx4, and to my surprise i learned that ranger diffs are not directly interchangeable with explorer diffs. Its a pretty long story, but the mechanic had trouble getting the c-clips back in on one side, but finally he shaved one of them down to fit, and now after 4 axle teardowns spanning over almost 2 weeks, everythings back together. Also, CDW has a lowered Mountaineer with the Torsen diff, so you should get some input from him too.

And thanks for the compliments on my truck! Keep up the great work with yours.

Sucks it's gone but damn it was one sharp looking X.

sucks that its goen but that was a nice x u had there

Back