How to: - Speedometer Gear Color Code Specification Chart With Formulas, And Ford Part Numbers. | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Speedometer Gear Color Code Specification Chart With Formulas, And Ford Part Numbers.

Prefix for threads which are instructional.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was thinking...if changing tire size throws off the speedometer, then it'll affect the odometer too, right? Also throwing off any mpg calculations we might make, huh? Will changing this gear on mine fix both problems? Thanks for the help.

I was looking at the instructions, but I'm still not sure where I should look exactly for the speedometer gear on my 97' XLT manual. A pic would be great, or at least a little bit of direction. Thanks for the help.

Here's a picture from Glacier991's photo gallery of the part on a BW 1354 transfer case where the drive gear is located:
Case.jpg
The speedometer gear is on the end of the VSS, and makes contact with the drive gear. Notice the opening on the lower left hand side of the picture. This is what it looks like when it goes into the housing:
41856450.jpg

Drive gear (6, 7, or 8)

Ok well I found the speedometer drive gear and mine is the pink one with 19 teeth. The guy at Low Price Gears still says he needs to know what my drive gear is. It's supposed to be either 6, 7, or 8, but I'm not sure where to find it since my 97 doesn't have a speedometer cable, just the sensor with the 19 gear attached. I also have a D4 axle with 3.73 gear ratio. Anybody have any idea where I can look to find the drive gear? This is the email I got back from Low Price Gears:

Bill, Your 19 tooth gear that's pink is your speedometer gear. I need to know the tooth count of the gear that's on the other end of the cable, that will be 6, 7 or 8 teeth. Without knowing your tooth count for your drive gear, I can only narrow it down to 3 possibilities:

Manual Transmission:
3.73:1 axle ratio with
31.00 inch diameter tire and
6 tooth drive gear
RECOMMENDATION: Burgundy 16 tooth driven (SPEEDOMETER) gear.

Manual Transmission:
7 tooth drive gear
RECOMMENDATION: White 17 tooth driven (SPEEDOMETER) gear.

Manual Transmission:
8 tooth drive gear
RECOMMENDATION: Pink 19 tooth driven (SPEEDOMETER) gear.

Thanks for any help anyone can come up with for me.

Ok, so if I pull the VSS back out, the gear I'm looking for is what my 19 tooth gear fits into? Is it labeled or do I just count the threads? How do I determine if it has 6, 7, or 8 teeth? Thanks again, Brooklyn.

Hello sorry to hijack the thread, but I am just changing My VSS in 96 Explorer 4X4 with a Manual and my gear doesnt seem to be on that chart, Ford cant find it ceither. Its a 19 tooth RH (Right Hand) and is orange kinda, I got a pic but not sure how to attach it5. Any info would be great as far as a part number for FOrd. Can I send someojne a pic to post or attach...

<----...Yes, I will post it for you...go to my name at hotmail...

Tbar you got mail and thanx bro.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lol I tried to use it as my profile pic, but then everyone would have to check my profile to see the picture of the gear.

Back