Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
...For these 4 cylinder engines with 8 plugs, the P0301 can be quite an adventure as it may not be as simple as if this code was on any other motor..:(

..The code description is as follows:

P0301 - Cylinder 1 misfire detected

..Now I have had this code with other codes but this code was more of a secondary condition brought about by another failure which also had a code...

..This is the first time I've had it by itself and over the past few years I have tried to help others get thru this issue and watched as this simple problem turned into a chase..

..Now it is my turn to chase the notorious P0301..Yay..:rolleyes:

..This vehicle is my 95 Ranger 2.3L with ODBII so retrieving the code is done by a scanner..94 and earlier Rangers can use a paperclip to retrieve their codes if you follow the info in this thread..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255962&highlight=paperclip

..So follow along and let's see if we can get this fixed fairly cheaply and let's hope it's not a major issue..:hammer:

..And it begins..

..This code came out of the blue and on a Monday morning and first thing..I started up the Ranger, took off just before it was warmed up and made it about a quarter of a block before the CEL came on and all of a sudden at the same time it began to run rough...

Symptom
..It seemed like someone all of a sudden pulled a plug wire off, the kind of rough I'm using for a description..:D..The Ranger had sat for 1-1/2 days with no issues recently at all...The Ranger had just received new plugs and wires a couple months prior..
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=362784

..Within a few more feet the steady CEL quickly turned into a flashing CEL which means shut her down now or damage will occur..Needless to say the Ranger got to ride on a flatbed to start it's week out..:(

..I quickly pulled out my scanner and sure enough it was a P0301 but sadly all by itself and the review of the freeze frame shared no further useful information..
0718120904.jpg

Common Issues that cause the P0301

..A few of these items are common on all single cylinder misfires and are worth trying first to try and remedy one of these codes..:hammer:

A) Bad wire to cylinder
B) Bad or fouled plug
C) Bad Injector
D) Possible coil pack problem
E) Valve problem
F) Head problem

Testing Resolutions

A) Wires..The first thing I tried was swapping in 2 wires..Yes, 2 wires, as each cylinder has 2 plugs and two wires...No change

B) Plugs..I ran out and bought 2 new APP104 plugs and swapped them in while verifying plug gaps and inspect the plugs for cylinder 1..Plug gaps were right on and this is the #1 combustion plug..(Exhaust plug looked the same)..NoChange
0718120859a.jpg

C) Testing the injector for #1..I know there is a technical way to test the pulse of an individual injector but I am not savvy enough to know how to do that..The test I performed were to see if the injector was operating..

..First, I went over to Harbor Freight and picked up a Mechanics stethoscope on sale for $3.99..:biggthump
0718120932.jpg

..I listened in on the injector of number one and heard a faint but steady rhythm..Compared to the #2-#4 injectors it sounded faint but still as steady a rhythm as the others.

..Next I tested the voltage of the injector as it was running..
0718120926.jpg

..This readout told me this was the power going into the injector..
0718120927.jpg

..and then I moved to the other wire which told me this was the return wire to the computer which gave me a proper reading of..
0718120927a.jpg

..So I believe my injector is still operating properly..No Change

D) The Coil Packs Generally when I have had coil pack problems they generally involve 2 cylinders..This will be the first time I chase a single cylinder misfire by checking the coil pack..

..I ran out of time today but will be updating this later this week..

..This is one of my current last hopes for this to be a relatively cheap fix but I do believe this is a possibility as I did have an arcing issue a couple months back which quickly brought on the changing of the wires and the plugs..

..This video does show the arcing I was having briefly at the time and it just so happens to be the rear coil pack but the #1 wire arcing..(I have had no issues since changing the plugs/wires...till now)

..That is all I have for now but if you have any suggestions on this issue, please share them here..Thanks..:salute:

Any luck with the problem you were having?
I seem to be having the exact same problem.

..at one time or another I've had all those issues pertaining to a P0301..

These are all the things to look for and how to test. .:hammer:

Back