XL-rated tires: Normal driving vs. Towing | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

XL-rated tires: Normal driving vs. Towing

Just got new tires on the Mounty (235/65-18).
Had it narrowed it down to these, within a few dollars of each other with rebates:
a. Pirelli Scorpion Verde All-Season Plus (106H SL)
b. Yokohama YK-HTX (110T XL)

Since I tow a 5200 lbs camper, the salesguy recommended the XL rated Yokohama. I left with the tires at 36psi (as I usually do). First pull with the trailer, things felt a bit loose. Then I noticed the XL tires get their max rating at 50psi. I didn't think it would matter, since my previous BFG LongTrails (SL tires) were very secure at 36psi.

-->
So, what do people do with XL or LT rated tires? Do you keep them at 36 for normal driving, then pump them up when towing (or hauling a load)? Or do you keep them at the higher pressure all the time? When towing, do I take it all the way to 50 psi? That's what you are supposed to do with ST trailer tires. But what about these XL-rated passenger tires?

PS - The door sticker on the Mounty calls for only 32psi. I've always just used 36.

I run floatation tires. Their max weight rating is calculated at 50 psi. I run them at 50 psi all of the time but with all my off road mods, ride isn't a concern.

Back