Return from the Mojave Desert - 2013 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Return from the Mojave Desert - 2013

Tbars4

Moderator Emeritus
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
anaheim hills,california
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 ranger 4x4/ 91 X 4x4
..Weather was great so we took a ton of pictures..:biggthump

...I will post some random pics while we wait for Brian1 to drive home and do a proper trip report..;)

..Plus I'm learning my newer camera...:D

P3261443.jpg

P3261428.jpg

P3261413.jpg

P3261407.jpg

P3261402.jpg

P3261369.jpg

P3261394.jpg

P3261349.jpg

P3261339.jpg

P3261332.jpg

P3261327.jpg

P3261252.jpg

P3251233.jpg

P3251228.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

..And a couple more...:popcorn:

P3261475.jpg

P3271592.jpg

P3271589.jpg

P3271571.jpg

P3261550.jpg

P3261525.jpg

P3271599.jpg

P3261481.jpg

Every time you all post up pictures and trip reports, it makes me miss living in AZ. Maybe one day I'll get to take a cross country and come out for an EF run.

Look like you guys had a lot of fun:thumbsup:

Also got my 4Wheel & Offroad issue today, with you guys in it:thumbsup:

Congrats!:salute:

Some real nice pictures, Ted! But that last pic, first group...wow you've changed!

Look like you guys had a lot of fun:thumbsup:

Also got my 4Wheel & Offroad issue today, with you guys in it:thumbsup:

Congrats!:salute:

..:scratch:..It must be a misprint...Unless it's a Ford Edition...:D

..I caught wind of it on trail but haven't seen it yet or know exactly which months edition it is in..

Some real nice pictures, Ted! But that last pic, first group...wow you've changed!

..Yea...I know...I'm not tall nor am I ruggedly handsome...

..That is Jim, Brian1's Dad and he was caught with his hand in the cookie jar..:p:

To whom it may concern:

..I contacted ScottB last night and put in a request that if he is not on the next trip to be sure to please pass along the secret brownie recipe ...:biggthump

..For those who might remember this, the ORR sticker is still on the inside of the mailbox long after the site had gone down..;)

..The EF frog is MIA in the frog section and there are no longer any Gnomes or Army men in the area..:dunno:

To whom it may concern:

..I contacted ScottB last night and put in a request that if he is not on the next trip to be sure to please pass along the secret brownie recipe ...:biggthump

When is the next trip? I do miss the desert...

Great pics, someday i'll make one of these trips. What are you using for a still camera Ted? You have a GoPro too right?

Day 0 - Sunday

After watching the Mint 400 Race on Saturday and camping the night outside of Jean, NV we drove south on I15 to Barstow. Along the way we stopped at Zzyzx to walk around the area.

m_DSC07665_zpsc75277ed.jpg

m_DSC07682_zps216f6e96.jpg

m_DSC07689_zpsf77f17f5.jpg

From Zzyzx we continued to Barstow for a visit to the Mojave River Valley Museum. The main attraction for me was the Bishop Stone which lies on the floor under a table with no note. The stone was broken into a few pieces back in the 70s when it fell off the hillside in Piute canyon and the part with the SA Bishop inscription was airlifted out before any more damage occured. Eventually it was placed in the museum.

m_DSC07697_zps9e2529c5.jpg

Across the street was a tank guarding the gas station or maybe they couldnt afford the diesel to move it any further :dunno:

m_DSC07721_zps1ac6f37c.jpg

There were a few more things to see at the museum like the railroad car we walked through and the jail similar to the one in Kelso.

m_DSC07725_zpsf0ef15a4.jpg

After fueling up we were off to the Afton Canyon campground for the night. A pretty nice place but bring bug spray as it is right by the Mojave River.

m_DSC07729_zps9b58496f.jpg

Day 1 - Monday

We started the Mojave Road at the Afton Campground. The idea of this trip was to loosely follow the Mojave Road but see things that none of us had seen before. This meant driving right by the usual attractions on the Mojave road. The 3 of us- Tbars, Ritsui and myself have all done this trip together 2 times in the past so it made this part easy.

The RR bridge just a few hundred feet from our camp

m_DSC07738_zpse4cebfc0.jpg

The Mojave River crossing to start the trail. This was the lowest I have seen it in person

m_DSC07742_zpse935749a.jpg

The first stop of the trip would be Spooky Canyon, a canyon that gets narrower and narrower until it eventually comes out on top of Afton. It starts just on the other side of a small RR bridge. We hiked up the slot canyon for a little bit and then turned around.

m_DSC07761_zps0b0765bc.jpg

m_DSC07769_zpsab69d2c1.jpg

The next stop would be the buried boxcar. Easy to miss if you dont know it is there! A Mojave mystery as to what is inside...

m_DSC07777_zps3f03bfa2.jpg

Day 1 - Monday Continued: Crucero Sites

Our first departure from the Mojave Road would be to the railroad siding of Crucero. If you think the Mojave Road goes through the middle of nowhere the road out to Crucero goes even further out into the middle of nowhere.

We crossed the tracks just outside of the mouth of Afton Canyon and proceeded to drive several miles paralleling the RR tracks. We made a brief stop at the site of Delores Holland's grave who was just an infant when she died. Another Mojave mystery as to who she was and who keeps her grave site in such nice shape.

m_DSC07779_zps06e297e5.jpg

m_DSC07780_zps334c51d3.jpg

We paralleled the tracks for a few more miles and then turned South and followed the old Tonapah and Tidewater railroad grade through some sandy big whoops. Eventually we passed through a cut in the RR grade and parked at the Desert Megaphone. We hiked to the top for a better view.

m_DSC07793_zpsd8a30815.jpg

m_DSC07808_zps22d2dd53.jpg

Another Mojave mystery as to what it is, what it is for, who put it there and when.

Not too far away are some furnaces that are also a mystery as to what they were for as there are no signs of mining or anything else in the area.

m_DSC07814_zps2df58523.jpg

m_DSC07817_zpsb88a9e26.jpg

We stopped for lunch at Mesquite Springs, another of the Crucero points of interest.

m_DSC07818_zps3f3cf6cf.jpg

The guidebook I had showed an old bath tub in the trees but it was no where to be found. Ritsui came across it a little ways away

m_DSC07819_zps4b667250.jpg

And we also had to look for a little bit to find the petroglyphs but we found them!

m_DSC07823_zps1354b7b3.jpg

m_DSC07825_zps92b5aa8d.jpg

We returned to the tracks and made a right to find the Rock Igloo, yet another mystery as to what it was used for

m_DSC07826_zpsd7841435.jpg

We returned the way we came in and picked up the Mojave Road again. Next stop would be the Travelers Monument on Soda Dry Lake

This is incredible! I can only dream of the day I can afford gas to make a trip down there and drive thru the mojave!

Day 1 - Monday Continued

After navigating through my least favorite part of the Mojave Road we made it to Soda Dry Lake and the Travelers Monument where each traveler throws a rock on the pile and you read the plaque on top of the pile. Only Mojave Road travelers are to know what it says!

Throwing my rock onto the pile

m_DSC07847_zps666b6c7b.jpg

At this point I found that the Crucero whoops had caused a whoops of my own. My 5 gallon water jug had rubbed a tiny hole into the bottom and was leaking all over my cargo area. :( I tied the jug down on its side to minimize the leaking until we camped that night where some JB weld did a great job of sealing up the hole.

Crossing Soda Lake was uneventful. Do not attempt if wet!

m_DSC07857_zps8f623b84.jpg

Signing in at the Mojave Road Mailbox

m_DSC07861_zps12b2a44d.jpg

The Frog Shrine at the Mailbox. The Explorerforum Frog I placed there 2 years ago was missing :mad: :(

m_DSC07864_zpscea67bad.jpg

We departed from the Mojave Road once again and took the power line road towards the tiny town of Cima. We would make camp a few miles to the North near the controversial Mojave Memorial Cross.

m_DSC07897_zpsb6633818.jpg

m_DSC07904_zpsd3b09990.jpg

Our campsite for the night

m_DSC07876_zps47070e87.jpg

When is the next trip? I do miss the desert...

..I believe you will be on the next trip to the Desert in May, destination Ghost Towns of Nevada...

..But we generally do the Mojave Desert in March each year and and it may be scheduled again with the Mint 400 race next year..:D

Great pics, someday i'll make one of these trips. What are you using for a still camera Ted? You have a GoPro too right?

..It's just a point and shoot Olympus (Cheap by today's standards and I'll look up exact model) that has taken over all still and video duties when not using my phone...

..I still have a GoPro but it may be up for sale in the near future if anyone is interested..Otherwise, it will be limited to be attached to race trucks and stuck out on the track where I can't shoot due to safety distances..

This is incredible! I can only dream of the day I can afford gas to make a trip down there and drive thru the mojave!

..If you had your location under your name we would know where you are wanting to travel from..:D

..A few more scenic shots while we are waiting on Brian to finish his fantastic trip report..:biggthump

..Lizard..

P3240849.jpg

P3240952.jpg

P3240956.jpg

..Desert Tortoise's...The ones on the left are 1 yr. old and the one on the right is 20 yrs. old..

P3240861.jpg

P3240840.jpg

P3240836.jpg

P3240832.jpg

P3240843.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

...and some other stuff from early on in the trip..

P3240860.jpg

P3240882.jpg

P3240877.jpg

P3240887.jpg

P3240966.jpg

..And the whole reason why Brian1 heads West..He see's an In-N-Out truck and just follows it to it's next location...:p:

P3240919.jpg

Back