General Tire Pressure Question Thread | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

General Tire Pressure Question Thread

The needed page is missing from my '97 Mountaineer owner's manual, but Fuse 17 - cigar lighter, data link connector - is shown as 20 amp in the '01 Sport Trac manual. I tapped into the cigar lighter wiring to power the power seats I swapped into my '02 Sport Trac. I figure since I don't smoke, rarely charge my phone in the truck, and rarely adjust the seat, I'll probably never adjust the seat while charging the phone and should be okay.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That doesn't seem right to me. No primary lighter outlet I've seen had a fused circuit lower than 15A. Plug in devices like air compressors also tend to assume at least a 15A capacity due to this.

I thought it was odd too, but since there is a high powered outlet on the console, I figured they did that on purpose.

I often wonder how to say things in a helpful way, trying to provide information without offending anyone because I have massive respect for those who contribute so much.

CDW, your only problem is that the wrong fuse is in the fuse box, it is not a (so low) 7.5A circuit. There's no "on purpose", you just have the wrong fuse in it.

That would be good for me, it's been so long I accepted that it's a low powered circuit. I'll look at my manual to see what it says, I'd be glad to have it take 25 amps(an air pump for one thing).

So I had a general question on If I should air down my tires a few psi over the recommended tire pressure when driving on hot days and or long trips when your psi rises some.

While trying to look threw some old threads I found this post.

Now I am still curious If I should air down my tires when they go up a few psi but I was running my 44 max psi tires at 26. The recommend psi on the door panel. I thought I was doing everything right but what should I be running my tires at? 30-35 with the front higher then the rear for traction? I mean it makes sense?

I am looking for a general discussion here and what are you/should you be using?
Your door panel should NOT say 26. The trucks were recalled long ago and new stickers affixed. I wouldn't be surprised you have an open recall.

Yeah mine say 26. Guess I do :dunno:

30-33 is a good PSI for our trucks. How much will that extra PSI raise height?? Maybe 1/32"? Won't raise the risk of rollover more than a heavy 6'3" driver. What about all the guys lifting their trucks? The 26PSI decision was more for comfort than safety. These trucks were mainstream marketed to soccer moms and people who want cars. So a softer(low PSI) tire takes away some of the harsh ride of the older TTB or Torsion bar suspension. Very few explorers ended up offroad, and that is a niche market that would have never sold the volume of these trucks. Ford also knew those guys heavily modify the truck anyway. That is why you have the Taurus based Explorer in 2017.

Problem with 26PSI is people let the tires drop into the teens, combine that with a defective tire and high speed (over 70Mph) driving on hot southern roads you have a recipe for disaster. The defective tires would lose their tread and lock a rear wheel, it is not a simple blowout. There wasn't a question that the tires were defective, but rather if those same tires failed on another SUV would it roll. Then if you look at statistics there is a very big difference even between Explorer configurations. A 4wd 4dr had rollover rates comparable to some cars, while a 2wd sport has one of the highest rollover rates of anything. So bad tires, weaker rear springs, shorter wheelbase, less the x-fer case weight, even things like a missing rear shock could contribute. Similar to a Bronco II, which is notorious for that. This info is available online.

It was proven though that a blowout on an Explorer can be recovered, and there is video of it. There was absolutely no awareness of tire issues back then, and few people bothered to check.

The CEO of Ford at the time claimed the 2002 Explorer redesign had nothing to do with safety, but more to add a third row seat. You can take that with a grain of salt.

Back