94 Ranger 2.3L with over 417k miles | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

94 Ranger 2.3L with over 417k miles

stewartmd

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 ford ranger
Hi all, :salute: I have owned Fords since I was 16, I am now 53 and the 2nd Ford I ever bought was brand new off the show room floor, a 94 Ranger 2.3L in 94'. I still have it and for the last 5 years or so I have had a problem that no mechanic seems to be able to figure out. Here It is, with over 417k miles it generally runs great but after sitting all day in the hot weather of North Carolina, (80 to 100+ degrees) when I get in after work and turn the key it cranks like crazy but won't catch, if I let it sit for a few minutes after attempting the crank it, it will start up just fine, but may cut off once or twice on my 20 minute ride home. When it first started, I took it to one reputable shop and the mechanic told me I needed a new fuel pump, he replaced it. That only worked for about a month. I took it to another reputable shop and they replaced fuel pump relay, that took care of the problem until the end of summer. Of course the next summer, the problem was back. I spent upwards of about $1000.00 between to two shops, I had other work done as a preventive maintenance type thing also, that is why the bill was around a grand. I don't want to guess and waste money on "not" fixing the problem. I don't know where to turn. Can anyone help?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ever get a check engine light? Cold or Hot restart issues tend to come from coolant temp sensors out of range.

yes. coolant temp sensors out of range? How do I get them in range?

It would be either a temp sensor replacement (quickest and easiest, if it fixes it), or tracing out the wiring to look for breaks or bad grounds. Good luck with it, and it's nice to see another 94 with 400k! Mines an explorer, but still good to see!

MayJan thanks for the response. Hope the senor does the trick and yes I have really enjoyed my ranger. trying to reach 500k with the original engine.

Back