Help! 94 2.3L wont start | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Help! 94 2.3L wont start

cmccul002

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ranger 94
Its me again, lol.

I have a 1994 2.3L. Broke down 2 weeks ago, come to find out the timing belt broke. i replaced it, and got it all back together and it started.

For the two weeks after that, it was rough getting it started sometimes. You would have to pump the gas and sometimes hold it down. Cranked for 10-15 seconds but it would eventually start. Sometimes it wouldn't, but if you let it sit for a few minutes it would eventually. I thought it was getting flooded.

Today, came out of work, and wouldnt start. Waited awile, it sounded like it wanted to, it was kicking over a little bit, but nothing. Now it wont even do that, just cranks.

I sprayed some starting fluid in, but nothing.

It is getting spark, I pulled a spark plug ( it has 2 per cylinder) and plugs looked clean. I had someone crank it without the plug to see if it was sparking and it was. AND, when it cranked some combustion came out the plug hole since there was one on the other side.

So it seems like that cylinder is firing anyway. Im stumped.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update:

Ok, Update.

The wife got a ride to work early and tried the truck. It started, and she said it seemed to idle fine. She got it home, but she said the whole way it seemed like it was sputtering and had very little power. It didn't stall at all.

Any ideas? I going to read the codes when I get home.

what do your spark plugs look like? check them first. i had that same problem in my 92. cylinder2 both plugs were just ahnialated. don;'tover look the obvious first. verify that the spark plug wires are not arcing anywhere as well.

what do your spark plugs look like? check them first. i had that same problem in my 92. cylinder2 both plugs were just ahnialated. don;'tover look the obvious first. verify that the spark plug wires are not arcing anywhere as well.

Thanks,

I am going to check them tommorrow.

I'm going to double check tomorrow, but Im hoping thats all it is.

If it was a tooth or 2 off, would it still run?

It depends, it could seem to run fine at idle but have absolutely no power whatsoever, or barely run at all.

sound like ur timeing is off.......make sure ur crank and cam are lined up there should be a dot or arrow on them line them and ur time will be right on

I dont get any KOEO codes ,but stored codes I get 157 - MAF sensor below min voltage, and 332 Insuffiesient EGR flow detected.\

I tried KOER, I had truck running for 10 mins to warm it up, turned it off and now it wont start. Just cranks.

Update

Found out that the timing was off by a notch. I dont get any KOEO or Memory codes, I do get code 332 (EGR) on KOER test.

Worse problems though, I did a compression test on the engine (2.3L 4 cylinder SOHC) and the results arent good.

Cylinder 1 was 90psi, cylinder 2 and 3 were 70psi and cylinder 4 was 140. I did the wet test, but the results didnt change. So from what Ive read its a problem with the valves/head?

91 Ranger Supercab 4x4 2.9L engine cranks-will not start

2.9L engine cranks-will not start. I was driving home at 40mph when "check engine" light came on and engine stopped. It's had other electrical problems that may be related somehow--1. AM radio listening is bad--static matches RPM and is super amplified. 2. Brake lights--pressing the brake pedal causes the brake lights AND the forward running lights to come on!!! 3. Turn signals do not work.

I've double checked all light bulbs and flashers all correct and functioning.
Now the truck is 15 miles away-dead in a motel parking lot. . .

Found out that the timing was off by a notch. I dont get any KOEO or Memory codes, I do get code 332 (EGR) on KOER test.

Worse problems though, I did a compression test on the engine (2.3L 4 cylinder SOHC) and the results arent good.

Cylinder 1 was 90psi, cylinder 2 and 3 were 70psi and cylinder 4 was 140. I did the wet test, but the results didnt change. So from what Ive read its a problem with the valves/head?

Sounds like it. Pull the head off and have a look. I thought that motor was a "non interferance" type and you should not have had any piston-valve contact but I may be wrong. You could have bent valves... Did it run strong before the belt broke?

Back