any one know of a possible twin turbo for and 03 explorer xlt 4.0 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

any one know of a possible twin turbo for and 03 explorer xlt 4.0

Dreidan

Reaction score
City, State
new york
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 ford explorer Xlt
so i want to get some power, turbos would be more my style. i love my truck. just bought it with 85,000 mi. need some ideas or maybe steps on what ill need and will fit and work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are no kits. There is a company that offers a supercharger kit, moddbox I believe.

yeah i even have a hard time finding superchargers. but i dont like the fact of a supercharger.. lol, no kits i know but i was thinking what about the turbos of the newer explorer or the twin turbo taurus. i guess im askin is there and turbo headers that would fit my truck from any of these newer fords?

Anything is possible with deep pockets. I think you need to take a step back and check your budget and your goals. Then figure out if an explorer is a good starting point as a base for your project.

dont need deep pockets. just a know how im just curious thats all. I love my Explorer. i just hate that there is barely anything for 3rd gen. kinda annoying.

dont need deep pockets. just a know how im just curious thats all. I love my Explorer. i just hate that there is barely anything for 3rd gen. kinda annoying.

different engine, and different generation, but since you're just curious about what goes into a turbo setup, read and enjoy:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=323837&highlight=ford+fluid+motorunion

All that engineering and research (not to mention the fabrication) with a likely low return on the investment is why you don't normally see turbo kits for these trucks.

plus the transmission on the 3rd gen will get torn up like fresh sod after a rainstorm

My 06 EX is sitting with the tranny out, (and it's a 6R60), and my 03 EX tranny(5R55) is on its way to another rebuild(#2), and tranny #3 . Put some wide tires on it, some loud exhaust, and find another vehicle to get turbo crazy with. Im thinking about doing something with a expedition, you never see anything done to those, and they have real drivetrain.

you dont necessary need to have the turbos hanging off the headers. there are a few guys that go with remote turbos. there are pro's and cons doing it that way, but that is the same for everything.

Back