Twin Turbo 306 | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin Turbo 306

Hey guys, its been a long time. I have the white explorer with a turbo sohc. If you remember from b4, I was selling all the 4.0l stuff and going with a 5.0l. A few months ago I had the 5.0l rebuilt, its now a 306 with forged aluminum wiseco pro-tru pistons, f-cam, stock E7's with 3-angle valve job, gt-40 intakes, as close as possible to being balanced and blueprinted for the money I paid. I kept the rebuild simple because its really easy to make power with a turbo on a 5.0l.

The turbos are twin t3's from mid - late 80's t-birds. I built the whole setup from scratch, right from the header flange all the way back. The headers are made from 1 5/8 stainless, the collector is 2.5" along with the rest of the exhaust, the wastegates are 38mm, and the mufflers are magnaflow. The coldside from the turbos to the intercooler is 2.5" aluminum, out of the intercooler is 3" to the tb. The planned horsepower is 450 at the wheels. Im not too worried about the block, if it splits then so be it. As for the rest of the driveline, I have a tremec TKO600 5spd trans, custom made chrome moly driveshaft, and the stock 8.8 with the tubes welded. The 8.8 still has the factory 4.10 gears and LS, when I get closer to driving I swap those out. For fuel I have a walbro 255lph pump, 42lb injectors, and professional products fuel rails. Im going to put another in line pump and change the fuel lines once I decide on what to do. I'll be using my megasquirt for engine management and probably dual widebands for tuning.

The whole truck will be different when it rolls out, custom two tone paint, full custom interior, custom body mods, and mayb 22's if everything plays out right. I'm sandblasting the whole frame + underside of truck, then i'll spray it with black epoxy primer, and probably a bed lining of some sort. I shaved every hole in the engine bay that has no purpose, deleted any wires that dont do anthing anymore, and relocated what wires I could into the inner fenders. Well I guess thats enough explaining, enjoy the pics!

Turbo Headers:

Rad + Intercooler:

Hotside almost complete:

More pics to come once I find them. Let me know what you guys think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Rocket just curious but what is your 0-60?

I would have no idea on that. I usually go much faster than 60mph... ;) To be honest, I would be scared as all hell to look down while accelerating. I could log it on the Xcal but I don't really care enough about my 0-60 times to do that.

Like what was said before, I care more about my 60' time.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Rob - No offence taken at all. :D

Xan - I use the circle method, seems to be pretty easy. Tig isnt hard to make a decent looking, strong weld. Its making them look pretty that takes experience.

scruff - Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy tig welding. If they were MIG I'd also be really impressed with myself. What kind of machine do you have? I bought a United CT518d off ebay. Its a 180amp arc, 160amp DC tig, 50amp plasma. Its the best thing ive ever bought, it will clean cut 1/2" plate no problem. I got mine for $900 CAN.

tmsoko - The header flange is mildsteel, the primaries + collectors are stainless. All straight pipes, v-bands, mufflers, cats, 3-bolt flanges, and flex pipes are stainless. The bends are aluminized mild steel. Ive been thinking about the jet hot for some time now. My buddy said I should just get them powered coated instead of sending them away to get the jet hot. How well do you think the powdercoating will hold up the heat?

Ah cool, the circle method is easier, but the C method makes a nicer weld cause you don't go over what you just did. You might wanna try it out, get some practise in first its a little different.

I've recent'y bought a bit of an oddball rig.
It's an older Miller Thunderbolt AC/DC power source (basically a stick welder) and it's hooked to a Miller HF250-1 HIgh Freq unit.
It can be used to very good effect as is, but because of the power source there is no amperage control on the fly, you have to know your setting and get it dead bang.
In order to improve this I modding it with an SCR circuit that bassically uses a guitar volume foot pedal and circuitry to control the input voltage to the powersource, in tune adjusting the output amps - it's sort of a backwards way to do it but there are a lot of guys out there doing it.

I also get to use the Syncrowave 251 at work for anything small enough to take in.. :D

Xan - I use the circle method, seems to be pretty easy. Tig isnt hard to make a decent looking, strong weld. Its making them look pretty that takes experience.

scruff - Thanks for the compliment. I enjoy tig welding. If they were MIG I'd also be really impressed with myself. What kind of machine do you have? I bought a United CT518d off ebay. Its a 180amp arc, 160amp DC tig, 50amp plasma. Its the best thing ive ever bought, it will clean cut 1/2" plate no problem. I got mine for $900 CAN.

tmsoko - The header flange is mildsteel, the primaries + collectors are stainless. All straight pipes, v-bands, mufflers, cats, 3-bolt flanges, and flex pipes are stainless. The bends are aluminized mild steel. Ive been thinking about the jet hot for some time now. My buddy said I should just get them powered coated instead of sending them away to get the jet hot. How well do you think the powdercoating will hold up the heat?

I can tell you now-
powdercoat will not hold up to "hot side" components-you will need jet hot.

BTW
I have a source for the jet hot coating-but it isn't cheap. The coating alone is $10 per oz, it usually takes 4-6 oz for a set of headers. It comes in 4 oz cans.

I just got a quote from Jet Hot. They want $335 to do the headers, and $110 for 5 1/2 ft of down pipe. This was for the jet hot 2000 in flat black. I'll buy it off you if its something I can do myself?

I hear you on the no amperage control on the fly. I dont have a foot pedal either. Its a pain when you have to go to the machine to ajust the amperage.
I'll be getting one soon though :D

by the way, I'll take on anyone of you guys on pinks...bring it on!!

Rob - I'll need atleast 20 lengths, what do you say?

AWRocks - I'll need 18 lengths...

James - I'll need 18 lengths too.

Justin - 18 lengths?

Jtsmith - 18 lengths?

Troll - Heads up...bring it on!

;)

just because ive been quiet on the site doesn't mean you can forget me...

I would pony up the cash for the Jethot coating. They do a great job and it will extend the life of your hard work almost indefinitely. Specify that you need full coating inside and out on the tubes. That would be something difficult to do on your own.

As for your application, a ceramic coating is the only thing that would hold the heat in your primaries / hot end. You would even burn off the low end original Jet Hot coating.

Now speaking of machines, I use a Lincoln Precision Tig 275. All I can say is it is a BEAST. I moved up to this when I started doing Aluminum TIG welding and nearly melted the air cooled torch of my old Lincoln SW175 - and my hand that was holding it! I found this new machine on eBay about 4 hours from home. It had no bids, so I threw down a low ball min bid, not expecting to get it - well, I did get it as only bidder! Less than 1/2 price of new and came complete with undercarriage cooler, pedal, pulser, etc.. Only about 10 hours on machine looks like brand new.

97x I just looked upi your rig.
Those Chinese welders are a bargain, if I had seen those before I got my miller stuff I would have bought it just to have the plasma cutter as well, and they're CHEAP !

The fact that you don't have the foot pedal yet just makes yor welds look even better in my eye. I think the foot pedal is only about $100 for those.

Also, I am aiming for about the same amount of HP as you for my rod, for similar reasons - the block breakage possibility, and nobody really knows what an AWD transfer case in these can take.

The jet hot I can get is the real-deal good stuff-all ceramic based. black, grey or silver (shiney after buffing slightly)

No, you cannot do this yourself-in fact there are some EPA thingy's to address.

Applying it inside the tubes isn't as difficult as it would sound-, however you will need an oven large enough to "pre-cure" the coating at 600 degrees. They will then need to be heated to 950 by your idling engine-and allowed to cool.

I can tell you now-
powdercoat will not hold up to "hot side" components-you will need jet hot.

BTW
I have a source for the jet hot coating-but it isn't cheap. The coating alone is $10 per oz, it usually takes 4-6 oz for a set of headers. It comes in 4 oz cans.
Yeah, Jon is going to hook my hot side up this winter. I love new sh**! Especially when it is looking good and making me go faster. I really like the idea of buying milk and getting it home quickly so it doesn't ruin!!!! :burnout:

Thanks for the Jet hot info. Im going to have to put some money aside and get the 2000 coating. Ive already spent alot of of money so whats alittle bit more:p:

tmsoko: That sounds like a nice machine that you have there. I wish mine had ac, it would be nice to do aluminum. I know its possible with dc still but you need to use helium with the argon. That means another bottle, regulator, contract, etc.

scruff: Its a very nice machine for the money, Its more than powerful enough for what I need it for. Your right about the foot pedal, they are around $100, Im going to be getting one very soon!

jah81592: :thumbsup: with the milk, thats funny :D

I don't like giving props to other tuners but Justin@VMP is making 395hp/375rwtq @ 15# boost on a 05 Mustang with a supercharger and nowhere near the bolt on mods as I have.

James - I like that you give credit where credit is due. I do think that was a very good job by Justin, but I also have to mention that it is a manual transmission. The percentage of wasted power is not as high as us automatic guys.

WOW is all I have to say about this! Haven't been on the site in a while. Very impressed with the progress so far. That thing is really going to haul ass! You are giving me ideas. hehe

It is going to look so clean under the hood also when done. Most of the useless junk has been removed. You might as well weld up any little tiny holes in the sheet metal under there that aren't used for an even cleaner look.

Any chance you could provide us with details on the megasquirt system and setup you are using? Is it Megasquirt II?

I demand an update! ;)

Me Too!

Well all the turbo setup is complete, I'll be shipping out most of the hot side to be ceramic coated very soon.

I was thinking how im going to get some traction one day then b4 I knew it, I installed a triangulated 4-link from Brian at Illusive Designs with a rear coil-over setup from QA1. I also got rid of the torsion bars and did a custom coil-over setup in the front. I had to get rid of 3 crossmembers in the back half to make way for new ones, well I was done there i sandblasted the frame and coated it with por15 3 times. The factory gas tank is gone and a summit racing fuel cell is installed behind the roll pan. Right now the truck is at my buddies paint shop, we gonna do a really nice 2 tone paint job. We just did custom metal fender flares to suit the body perfect, (I hate the bubbly look of the factory plastic ones). I got some 22's also, 22x8.5 265/35/22 in the front and 22x9.5 295/30/22 in the back. I do have a ton of pics but no time as of yet to post them. I'll try my best and get on it!

Well, sounds like you've got a lot done. Take your time and post when ever you can.

nothing like rocketing down the road in a 2 door suv that sounds like a jet:thumbsup:

Back