Twin Turbo 306 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Twin Turbo 306

Hey guys, its been a long time. I have the white explorer with a turbo sohc. If you remember from b4, I was selling all the 4.0l stuff and going with a 5.0l. A few months ago I had the 5.0l rebuilt, its now a 306 with forged aluminum wiseco pro-tru pistons, f-cam, stock E7's with 3-angle valve job, gt-40 intakes, as close as possible to being balanced and blueprinted for the money I paid. I kept the rebuild simple because its really easy to make power with a turbo on a 5.0l.

The turbos are twin t3's from mid - late 80's t-birds. I built the whole setup from scratch, right from the header flange all the way back. The headers are made from 1 5/8 stainless, the collector is 2.5" along with the rest of the exhaust, the wastegates are 38mm, and the mufflers are magnaflow. The coldside from the turbos to the intercooler is 2.5" aluminum, out of the intercooler is 3" to the tb. The planned horsepower is 450 at the wheels. Im not too worried about the block, if it splits then so be it. As for the rest of the driveline, I have a tremec TKO600 5spd trans, custom made chrome moly driveshaft, and the stock 8.8 with the tubes welded. The 8.8 still has the factory 4.10 gears and LS, when I get closer to driving I swap those out. For fuel I have a walbro 255lph pump, 42lb injectors, and professional products fuel rails. Im going to put another in line pump and change the fuel lines once I decide on what to do. I'll be using my megasquirt for engine management and probably dual widebands for tuning.

The whole truck will be different when it rolls out, custom two tone paint, full custom interior, custom body mods, and mayb 22's if everything plays out right. I'm sandblasting the whole frame + underside of truck, then i'll spray it with black epoxy primer, and probably a bed lining of some sort. I shaved every hole in the engine bay that has no purpose, deleted any wires that dont do anthing anymore, and relocated what wires I could into the inner fenders. Well I guess thats enough explaining, enjoy the pics!

Turbo Headers:

Rad + Intercooler:

Hotside almost complete:

More pics to come once I find them. Let me know what you guys think!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That is just AWESOME!

Ryan

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

James - You are top dog, for the v6 explorer. Tell me someone faster than you? Anyone in an explorer....I haven't found one and don't think I will for awhile.

As far as top dog for the explorer no matter what engine....well, like I said in another thread, the sport WILL HAVE an advantage. the weight is so much lighter. If this twin turbo spits out 450 HP and weighs 3700 LBS....well, it's gonna be fast. However, like you said, the tuning is going to make or brake. I think the reason why people can't get past 5 lbs is in the tuning.

Hell, there is a 4.0 SOHC musting running 11.02. Guess what he has? A stock v6 Motor running 13 LBS of boost, and a 50 shot of nitrous. All this with a stock block; I've seen the video and I think the guy is truthful....v6 power.net, guy named buckman.

Okay, back to the twin turbo v8 sport. I'm very curious about this...I wish the best for you.

As far as top dog for the explorer no matter what engine....well, like I said in another thread, the sport WILL HAVE an advantage. the weight is so much lighter. If this twin turbo spits out 450 HP and weighs 3700 LBS....well, it's gonna be fast. However, like you said, the tuning is going to make or brake. I think the reason why people can't get past 5 lbs is in the tuning.

We will see... ;)

I see Termies spitting out 450rwhp with a few boltons and weighing around what a Sport does and allot of them are in the high 11 second range. I do not plan to be in the high 11's next year....I will leave it at that.

Regardless of who wears the crown of fastest overall this TT 5.0 Sport will be quick when done.

I doubt it will be slow by any means, but I still have my money on Rob as top dog! Maybe I can slid in behind these two guys. What do you call it? 3rd! But still don't count me out.-j

I have seen turbo 3.8 V6 and I4 Mustangs pushing high 8 and low 9 second 1/4 mile times. Obviously not on the stock bottom end but it shows that non-V8 vehicles can whoop some ass on the track. I think one fella was pushing 40 psi boost while the other was pushing 30. Yeah, that is 1.27 and .95 crapton boost respectively. ;)

Rocket - I know what you're capable of, and I know what you're goal is. I think I do? It's going to be VERY hard to put down a faster time than you.

Heck, I really don't have any room to talk over here. I'm just trying to get into what you can do in reverse. ;)

I don't like giving props to other tuners but Justin@VMP is making 395hp/375rwtq @ 15# boost on a 05 Mustang with a supercharger and nowhere near the bolt on mods as I have. My truck has edged over 400 to the wheels to date at only 10# boost. It is all about the tuning and efficiency of the combination. Will the SOHC be reliable past 450hp? I don't know but I guarentee you I will be one of the first to find out. Not only that my drag strip performances support the information I have stated. I always questioned why the other combination you had was down on power. 450 with a 5.0L is very conservative, that is if you have a good tuner. He will make or break you. About the tranny, I am currently running a 5R55S, previously the 5R55E didn't like 12# of boost then once it started slipping at 10# I backed it down to 9#boost. Thus encouraging me to look at capabilities the E couldn't provide. Hence, the 5R55S swap. I don't believe I will have any trans problems in the near future as the S has proved to be a very dependable and tough unit.-j

I doubt it will be slow by any means, but I still have my money on Rob as top dog! Maybe I can slid in behind these two guys. What do you call it? 3rd! But still don't count me out.-j

When I put down the 260whp @ 4.5psi, it was dyno tuned @ Dasilva Racing in Toronto Canada. They told me that it was the best they could do. Meanwhile the truck would idle like ****, it didnt feel powerfull all the time. Sometimes it would surprise the **** out of me and other times it was a slug. When I made the move to the Megasquirt it was a night and day difference with the same 4.5psi. I should have had it dyno'd with my tune, with out a doubt it was more powerful. After I tuned it, it idled really nice, the power was strong and always there. I will be tuning the 5.0l myself and I have more than enough confidence in myself to get it done right.

You are the v6 man and I wish you luck with your truck and future plans. Theres no doubt in my mind either that you will be one of the first to see what the SOHC is made of. Regardless of who is the fastest, the three of us have acomplished alot, we've stepped in places where very few ever will.

One day, I'll step into the ring with you guys.

When I put down the 260whp @ 4.5psi, it was dyno tuned @ Dasilva Racing in Toronto Canada. They told me that it was the best they could do. Meanwhile the truck would idle like ****, it didnt feel powerfull all the time. Sometimes it would surprise the **** out of me and other times it was a slug. When I made the move to the Megasquirt it was a night and day difference with the same 4.5psi. I should have had it dyno'd with my tune, with out a doubt it was more powerful. After I tuned it, it idled really nice, the power was strong and always there. I will be tuning the 5.0l myself and I have more than enough confidence in myself to get it done right.

You are the v6 man and I wish you luck with your truck and future plans. Theres no doubt in my mind either that you will be one of the first to see what the SOHC is made of. Regardless of who is the fastest, the three of us have acomplished alot, we've stepped in places where very few ever will.

If your tuner made your X operate like how you described then he must have not known much about tuning.

Just curious but why were you only running 4.5 psi of boost?

The spring in the wastegate was 5.83PSI, on my boost gauge it read just over 4.5PSI. Back then when I was doing my research, looking at other setups (mostly supercharged), people were saying to be carefull around 300whp. The cause for concern were the timing chain tensioners. I heard they would snap around that power level. I guess myself not knowing much about the engine, also the truck being my DD at the time. I really didnt want to chance it, but as it looks now all that talk was BS.

The guys at Dasilva are really good at tuning supercharged and n/a mustangs. They have been doing it for a long time, I guess a turbo'd xplorer really stumped them. They also tried blaming my power level on back pressure. They said my exhaust was too free flowing and I needed to restrict it alot. I argued the fact but I was still wrong because I didnt own an expensive race car or shop like theres :rolleyes:

Hehehe, Alex I guess you don't count... I thought everybody did 304 big bore modulars, heads, cams and an Eaton M90 supercharger in their X. Shoot I saw a few grannies around here driving some of those. ;)

Hehehe, Alex I guess you don't count... I thought everybody did 304 big bore modulars, heads, cams and an Eaton M90 supercharger in their X. Shoot I saw a few grannies around here driving some of those. ;)

LOL :thumbsup: ;)

I think we forgot about AWDROCKS.

I think we forgot about AWDROCKS.

Dont count me out either :) I dont know if James is going to let me be faster than him though ;)

I like the install, but I like having my AC...

Sorry Justin and awdrocks, I've been away from the boards for so long that I forgot about you guys. My apologies

97X = awesome work ! Did you use TIG or MIG for the welding ?
That thing will be a hoot to drive.

Any reason u used E7 heads ? Aren't they some of the most restrictive ? i know putting some PSI behind them will reduce their impact but surely even a set of 95/96 GT40 heads from an Expo would flow better and let you make more HP for less boost ?
Just curious - I am sure you'll hit your goal easily either way.

Good Luck !

So what do you guys think about an Explorer PINKS challenge ?

So what do you guys think about an Explorer PINKS challenge ?
I wouldn't care if I knew I had the fastest X I don't gamble my truck. Too many blood sweat and tears. If I lost it to something stupid then it would be a lot of tears.

97X I am impressed with your willingness to keep uphold the Explorer rep and performance. You have really brought some incredible thoughts to the table. I am not beating up on you at all. I know my "tone" at times seems like it but I am always impressed with what you do. I was really just stressing that the tuning really had your truck limited. I have 55# injectors and my truck idles and runs like a stocker till you hit the loud pedal. Then all hell breaks loose. I would never have seen a reason for converting to a standalone fuel injection, my opinion the stocker would've been more than perfect even for what you are doing now. The stock ecm and a good tune via SCT and your truck would be completely liveable. My mom even drives my truck at times. She has 2 Lexus and a 2003 Sport trac. So believe me she will let me know if it is running like crap.

Dont count me out either :) I dont know if James is going to let me be faster than him though ;)
I like the install, but I like having my AC...
Justin I wouldn't do that!:rolleyes: I tune all my customers to the fullest. As long as they are fast and the tuning has my name on it then it really doesn't matter. I like my A/C too.

Back