M90 rebuild (rudy) | Page 22 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

M90 rebuild (rudy)

well figured i would start a new thread.just a quick background.did the whole build on my explorer but built it using stock head gaskets and head bolts.did it really as a safety net and i just couldnt afford head studs at the time.well to say the least i blew the head gaskets off from it wile i was in the mountains on a forum trip about two years later.

i picked up a 1994 ranger,its got the 4.0 OHV and is a 5 speed 2wd.the plan is to pull the motor out of the explorer and rebuild it.

this thread will basically cover the rebuild and build up of the new ranger.it will basically end up as a street race truck.ive named it Rudy:D:D so let the fun begin.
:burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout::burnout:

UPDATE
new motor specs
BORE: 4" JE asymmetrical pistons (custom over bore)

20141031_163839_zpso5ifzafx.jpg

RODS: 6.058 Manley (longer rod)
20140226_134243_zpsdapxouhk.jpg

VALVES: IN-1.8 EX-1.5 Manley heavy duty (.150 over)
20160527_114556_zpsiohyyelp.jpg

20140515_162402_zpsftg0qlcd.jpg

20160313_161946_zpswgleqayt.jpg

20160318_160734_zpsxxxpuld8.jpg

Transmission:T5 hybrid from a 2006 Mustang and 93 Fox
HEADS: 93TM HEAVILY ported with custom brass guides and copper gaskets/O-ringed with ARP studs
CAM: 422 Comp cams with 988 springs and Toms custom lifters,push rods and 1.7 roller rockers
Complete blueprint and balanced internals
GM M90 supercharged with one 1" intercooler plates with ASP 8 rib belt conversion. .
pushing 16 lbs of boost with small shot of NOS
Running on E50
Dyno tuned by Dyno Tune Performance outa Virginia using SCT

old thread and pic
3800 M90 Build
ported and polished gm 3800 gen 2 m90
Water to air intercooled
port matched 76mm inlet and intake tube
mustang 75mm race tb
90mm maf
36lb injectors
255 fuel pump
sct 5bank dyno tuned
2.7" pulley 10lbs of boost!!;)
2012-06-09201057.jpg

2012-06-09201139-1.jpg

2012-06-09201207.jpg

and the new 1994 ranger 4.0 OHV 5 speed 2WD with 115,000 miles on it.o and i only paid $1,000 for it:shifty_ey
RUDY
IMG952013032295172932_zps77585c66.jpg

FB_IMG_1545061235211.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Little update and not a good one..got some legal issues going on with the ex so having to sell the red ranger to pay my lawyer. .also im having back surgery in 2 weeks..

Game plan is to now take the built motor outa the explorer because that trans is shot and stick it in the green truck..this time i will be adding my ported lower intake,36lbs injectors and 90mm maf.im having the tune rewritten to the 94 ecm but same tune i was running..so basically its gonna be same motor and charger just as what was in the explorer, just in the ranger..i also picked up another M5 trans,lets see how long this one last..this motor combo should run pretty good for the time being. .just SUCKS the new motor has got pushed back again and WOMEN are soooo CRAZY!!!

Motor swap starts friday...plan to have it running by next weekend and on the dyno before my back surgery. .any guesses for HP??? Me i say 280-300 HP ......this will be the test on how much hp 4x4 auto trans and big tires really eat up..this is same motor just ""little"" higher compression

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Im working on a solid mount solution right now and it needs to be slightly higher to clear the sohc pan..im honestly thinking of taking a piece of 3×1/4 strap metal and bending it into a ""L"" and sitting it ontop of the stock mounts where the ends touch the frame..then weld the ends to the frame..basically boxing the stock mount making it solid..this will also give me 1/4" raise on the motor that i need to clear the pan...ill post picks to better explain

mounts

Sounds like it will work, but may vibrate a little. At least it will stop the mount from breaking.
Stay away from those "crazy" women, at least until you finish your engine with the custom pistons etc.

Agree. ...but too late:banghead::banghead::hammer::hammer:

Oh man, not to make this a complaint thread, or a political one, but you weren't really with her that long. Funny how quickly things get complicated. Hang in there. Sorry for what you both are going thru.

Oh man, not to make this a complaint thread, or a political one, but you weren't really with her that long. Funny how quickly things get complicated. Hang in there. Sorry for what you both are going thru.

Thats the mest up part..ive known her my whole life...we was best friends. ..this is totally unexpected...she stuck a knife in my back before the surgeon could...saddest part is i lost my best friend. ..its REAL REAL tough. ..o and my truck isnt get done:mad:

Well that took wayyyy longer than it should have..got the motor out without any real issues but thats where my luck stopped...

The notor mounts turned into a whole day project pretty much..i ended up taking a stock mount and heated it up removing the rubber and bottom part of the mount..then took and cut out the top engine side bolt and welded a longer bolt in..then took a 3/8 plate and welded a bolt and stud into it and welded it to the stock metal top part of the mount..added a piece of rubber (piece of tire tread) for ***** and giggles...

I also lost my help so i had to drop the motor and trans in myself..NOT EASY!! Its all in and just need fluids..im DONE for tonight!!

Rubber removed from stock mount
20150711_192603_zps7tpdlv3a.jpg

New plated on the left..you also can see how bad my mounts were
20150713_141236_zpsqjrxdmj5.jpg

20150713_142014_zpsy0wifwr0.jpg

O also found out explorers and rangers use different driverside motor mounts..also the new M5 i picked up was from a 98 sport..i had to change the tail section because my ranger is gear driven speedo..also had to change the top shifter plate..mine had 2 solenoids and the 98 had one..

Ps i won my first court case against my ex..surgery is this Thursday also:eek:

Mount

Looks like a very strong mount now.
Are you concerned about picking up any vibrations?
When do you think it will be up and running?

Looks like a very strong mount now.
Are you concerned about picking up any vibrations?
When do you think it will be up and running?

You definitely can tell its solid but its not unbearable..i dont mind a rumble. .makes a huge difference in launches. .i cant keep rubber mounts in it and not paying big money for those poly ones..this costed me some time and its solid..i did put a piece of tire tread on it also..raised me about 3/8 to clear the sohc pan..it ""might"" help some with vibration. .

It should be running tomorrow. .cant wait to hear the exhaust with this motor

Well she is up and running after a couple mishaps...the metal shield was rubbing on my flywheel and the slave that came with the trans was bad..i pulled it, replaced the slave and bent the shield back..with some help from a boomnexplorer we threw it back in..bleed perfect and fired right up..the exhaust doesnt really sound good compared to when it was in the explorer. .i think true duals and size is too large for a ""stockish"" ohv..it has a flutter sound at idle..hopefully after the new motor plus blower will change the sound some..

But what a headache. .im spose to be on bed rest for the 3 days before my surgery. .its tomorrow at 12:30 :-(

Any rate..little video of the 295s screaming! !

https://youtu.be/8xcnmNK7AAE

Ranger

It's alive!

Great vid sorry to hear bout everything else and also wish u a speedy recovery as well!!! Take care JD!

Jusg got outa surgery. .pretty scarry. .can't feel my legs or sit up..just dosed me up again and making me stay the night..said it went pretty good,bulge was alot bigger and more particle matter was in there than thought..getn lopy again but thanks for all the support. .this forum is like my family and many i have meet are like family to me..

Jd

Get well soon! Enjoy the pain meds too!
We will be looking forward to more posts about that awesome Ranger!

Back