4R/5R55E Shift Correction Package- JOKE??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4R/5R55E Shift Correction Package- JOKE???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hard to say if it's going to fix the problems that it says it will. Try to see if he has had other people buy the kits and see if it has done anything for them? I guess for 40 bucks you could try it...but a transmission is a costly thing to mess around with.

-Drew

Mine shifts a lot better (firm, but not harsh) after I got my SCT flasher from Bamma chips. I think thats one of the big benefits of it. I don't have a clue about the E-bay thing (not betting its the answer though). In older transmissions we used to put shift kits in them to firm them up. You could also adjust the pressure regulator too high and snap u-joints with a big V8. LOL

Superior makes quality kits. The basic idea behind a shift kit is to either correct a design flaw "as they see it" or provide a more durable or better designed part. Often these kits involve replacement of srpings, spools or other parts with redesigned ones. Transgo is another good one. That price is a reasonable one for the superior kit. Caution though, some kits have parts for other aspects of the transmission that could only be added during a teardown (clutch springs etc). No, it is not a joke. A kit won't make an aging trannie new again, but they can positively affect performance.

I have the Superior kit in my 5R55E, or at least some of it. As Glacier says, some of the springs cannot be installed short of a teardown. The kit includes several sets of springs and (steel) valve replacements, a thermostat blockoff, and a double lip seal for the low/reverse servo. The valves are machined to fit the bores very well. It's a good kit and fairly priced.

I was experiencing a 2-3 shift flare; that's why I originally bought the kit. I installed the kit along with a revised (Ford) separator plate and blow-off valve, and new EPC solenoid. All of this cured the shift flare, but I can't say for sure which parts did it....

The shifts are slightly firmer than before, well spaced and at normal rpms, so I'm happy with the kit. The kit seal also cured a lazy reverse shift that it had.

My tranny is slipping in 4th gear. I thought maybe this could fix it until i can trade it in. Its time to trade in my worn out explorer for a new one!

4th gear slip might be improved by readjusting the OD band and also cleaning the 3/4 shift solenoid.

The EPC solenoid is evidently the most likely solenoid to cause problems. Most builders suggest replacing it with a new one. They are over $100 at Ford. I installed the EPC solenoid, and a TransGo kit, in my 99 5R55E.
With the Superior kit, you still should install the Ford recommended plate and valve body kit. The TransGo kit is supposed to correct inherent problems, and not require either of the Ford upgrade parts.

Both the TransGo and Superior kits can be found at most trans parts stores. Find out where your trans shops buy their parts from locally. They should be in the 30-40$ range. Good luck,
Don

Can you install both the TransGo and Superior Kits? Do they perform different functions?

There is crossover. What each kit does is pretty well covered in the 5R55E Rebuild Diary in the sticky threads at the top of this forum.

hello all,
it has been sometime since my last post, but i had to post this. after hearing all the problems with the 5r55e tranny i just had to do it. i had the 2/3 shift problem, and took it back to the dealer since it was under warranty, and also lazy reverse.....oops! it is a 2004 ranger 4.0 fx4 not level 11. to this day it has 21000 miles, it started to happen at 15000!! it really makes me mad that a truck that has been around for so many years should have these type of problems. but anyway here is the list parts that they said they replaced.......yea-right!!
1 XC3Z*7B155*E FILTER ASY-OIL
1 XL2Z*7A098*DA SCREEN ASY
1 4L5Z*7D034*AA BAND ASY
1 F77Z*7D021*ZA PISTON AND ROD- OVERDRIVE SER
2 XW4Z*71000*AA NUT-SEALING
1 1L5Z*7Z490*CA PLATE-CONTROL VLVE BDY SEPAR
1*E860118*S RETAINER
2*E860129*S RETAINER
1 XL2Z*7G383*AA SOLENOID ASY
1 E9TZ*7086*A GASKET
INLINE TRANS FILTER
it still sinks going into reverse i will probably sell it i will not put $$$$$$ into this since i read these are junk, 550 ft-pounds of torque input give me a break, its under warranty till 09-09-09. unless i can put a shift-kit or something in it. i'll keep my 72 ford 400m
thanks for your time!
John

hello all,
it has been sometime since my last post, but i had to post this. after hearing all the problems with the 5r55e tranny i just had to do it. i had the 2/3 shift problem, and took it back to the dealer since it was under warranty, and also lazy reverse.....oops! it is a 2004 ranger 4.0 fx4 not level 11. to this day it has 21000 miles, it started to happen at 15000!! it really makes me mad that a truck that has been around for so many years should have these type of problems. but anyway here is the list parts that they said they replaced.......yea-right!!
1 XC3Z*7B155*E FILTER ASY-OIL
1 XL2Z*7A098*DA SCREEN ASY
1 4L5Z*7D034*AA BAND ASY
1 F77Z*7D021*ZA PISTON AND ROD- OVERDRIVE SER
2 XW4Z*71000*AA NUT-SEALING
1 1L5Z*7Z490*CA PLATE-CONTROL VLVE BDY SEPAR
1*E860118*S RETAINER
2*E860129*S RETAINER
1 XL2Z*7G383*AA SOLENOID ASY
1 E9TZ*7086*A GASKET
INLINE TRANS FILTER
it still sinks going into reverse i will probably sell it i will not put $$$$$$ into this since i read these are junk, 550 ft-pounds of torque input give me a break, its under warranty till 09-09-09. unless i can put a shift-kit or something in it. i'll keep my 72 ford 400m
thanks for your time!
John

You should go through the other threads here about the valve body kits that do improve the 5R55E transmission. You may have had some of that done just recently, but I doubt it. The things that countless others here have done cost less than about $200 typically, and solve most of the issues. Look harder, Ford does put out transmissions that take fixing by the aftermarket, but we get it figured out.

Runnin'OnEmpty,

Why use the thermostat blockoff? That would just bypass back to the pan and leave the fluid hot correct? I'm prolly not understanding something there...Also doesnt the superiour have a jumper for the epc...why did you still use a new one...

I am wanting to install the superior kit in a 99 ranger for racing puposes...1.5 hrs in the sand and woods racing with lots of whaling on the truck...After the last race i started get 1-2 shift flare so im also assuming the serperator plate gasket finally blew out...I figure while the VB is out shift kit is gonna go in...

I just want to get this stuff right the first time...

If anyone else wants to chime in feel free...P.S. the shift kit has been ordered and i have to do this sooner than later

Thank you

dude, that post was 6 years ago, I'd try PM'ing him if he's even still active to get his attention.

Welcome to the forums!

Dons around (CDW) and hes been more than a huge help to say the least with helping my trans situation. Im sure he'll chime in.

I realized its 6 years old but theres still people on here in the know...I ended up finding the readers digest to what I pretty much need to do.

Besides...why make another thread...Just revive an old one.

Looks like I need a

Epc, shift kit, ford tsb kit, seperator plate, filter, pan gasket, one other part and fluid.

You are almost right with those.

The VB kits for the 5R are all correction kits, to correct flaws in the factory VB's. Each of the kits supposedly does the same thing, so there is no need to buy two. Pick one of the three brands(Ford, Superior, TransGo) and install that.

Sonnax makes a few very good upgrade parts that are wise to get, and not expensive. Find the big online trans parts sources and search through their Sonnax parts.

The EPC should be replaced most often, say every 75k or so, it's a high wear part.

If the trans mileage is getting high, consider also replacing the accumulators in the side of the trans, tough task. Also swap in the "D" seals for the reverse accumulator which is above the VB. Regards,

Back