tow WAY less with a manual trans? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

tow WAY less with a manual trans?

So the owners manual for my 02 explorer has the towing capacity at roughly:
  • 4.0 4x4 Auto: 5700 lb
  • 4.0 4x4 Manual: 2400 lbs

Any clue as to why the towing rating is so neutered on the manual transmission?

Is the limiting factor the trans or the clutch? clutch is easy enough to replace with a beefier one, but the trans might be an issue.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I didn't know they still offered a manual transmission after the 2nd gen Explorers. But I just confirmed it was an option in the 2002 Ford Towing Guide, and it does indeed show much lower capacity. Only 7000 lbs GCVWR (combined rating). That's lower than the V6 Auto w/o HD towing package.

The clutch is certainly too light for any serious towing duty. Whether the 5-speed manual itself would hold up with a stronger clutch...I don't know. The towing guide shows the Ranger with the same 4.0L 5-speed manual drivetrain getting up to 3560lbs tow rating. The GCVWR is still only 7000 lbs. So they higher tow rating is simply because the small pickup's curb weight is lighter than the Explorer's.

Do you actually have an '02 with a manual, or just making conversation?
If you have an manual-equipped Explorer, what are you wanting to use it for? Occasional towing (utility trailer from time to time)? I would think that would be fine to exceed the limit a bit for local use occasionally. Just don't get into the gas hard, so you don't slip/burn up the clutch.

But if you intend to get a camper and tow more regularly, you're doing the right thing in researching. Maybe somebody with more knowledge of that 5-speed manual can chime in, to see if it will hold up (given a stronger clutch).

Most likely the clutch is the weak leak. The automatic trans torque convertor provides much more torque multiplication.

The manual was only offered on the 2002 3rd gen, and the 2002-2003 Sport and Sport Trac (still the 2nd gen chassis). I do in fact have one.

As for use, I'm hoping to be able to tow my firebird (3400 lb) on a flatbed (1000 lb is a heavy sumbitch) in flat land, i.e. michigan, indiana, midwest states... less than 5x/year. Maybe a pop-up RV at some point. Certainly not a regular tow vehicle for a 26 foot camper, and not a work trailer for a landscaping company with 3 ride-alongs on it. infrequent use for light-to-medium duty towing.

according to the guys over at The Ranger Station, it is a CYA rating so that someone learning how to drive a stick and towing something at the same time would void the warranty if they towed above the 7,000 lb GCVWR and demolished a new clutch.

I'm mostly asking just to know.

The clutch has a lot to do with it, but it's also the construction of the internal gears/syncros, and a manual transmission model also usually has higher ratio gears in the differential vs. automatics that sometimes come with low optional gears like a 4.10 that give even higher towing capacity.

There's also the CYA aspect to it, sure. A lot of people in vehicles with a manual trans would haul 3 tons in 5th gear at 70mph on the highway if the towing capacity on paper was 3 tons.

That said, the engineers do know what they are doing - the towing capacity is what it can tow safely and reliably around the country, not the absolute maximum towing capacity no matter what. You can "tow" well over rated capacity with a manual if you're just pulling something a short distance at low speed and stick to the low gears.

You aren't going to get away with towing a 4400lb car/trailer combo thousands of miles on the interstate when the towing capacity is 2400lb.

It WILL pull it initially, since the 4.0L with an auto will pull it, but you risk severe transmission/drivetrain damage along the way. It will be quite unpleasant to have the vehicle come to a screeching halt or coast to a stop and be stuck wherever you happen to be, with a busted transmission AND a trailer. On the plus side, if your Firebird runs and drives, you have that to use.

If you want to tow a 3400lb car on a 1000lb trailer, you'll need an Explorer with an automatic transmission. Even better if it has the lower gears and the 5700lb tow rating so you have plenty of reserve capacity.

I'll have to check on the trailer weight... I'm seeing anywhere from 800-1800 lb for the weight, depending on the trailer. The ones that U-Haul uses are closer to the 800 range, but the firebird is right at the top of the capacity on them.

Not really planning thousands of miles... Plan is to get the car show-ready and go to a couple shows here in the IN-MI-OH area. Mostly looking to tow a small pop-up with it as far as "regular basis" I just wanted to be sure that once a year going 500 miles round trip with 4400 lbs isn't gonna kill my truck after about half-way there.

As for the gear ratio, book says I"ve got 3.73 gears.

I can tell you from personal experience that you will be just fine. 250 miles one way is not that much. You are not going to ruin the tranny, if anything, you might wear the clutch faster if you have a lot of stops. I too have wondered why the rating is often lower for the manual. If anything, the manual tows better because you can take full advantage of the engines torque. No stock 4.0 makes enough power to make the clutch slip. I say make sure your brakes are in good working order, and go for it.

If the vehicle is rated to tow 2400 lbs, and you tow a trailer + load that is ~4400 lbs, that is literally a ton (2000 lbs) of extra weight the drivetrain isn't designed to pull safely.

26 spline clutch?

Another factor to consider is whether you have the 26 spline clutch. Ford only made 1,000 of them in production and there are no OEM units available. There is only one aftermarket source that I'm aware of: Southland Clutch in Calif. Cost is $700 plus shipping and handling. See this thread for more information: Blown engine... need recommendations A heavy duty clutch (or even a reasonable cost replacement) may not be available. I think another forum member learned that the Sport has a 23 spline clutch and the 4 door has the 26 spline clutch.

I agree with the no-go on 4400 lbs behind that manual Explorer. Up to 5x per year is more than occasional. We only go camping 3-4 times per year. Granted, 4400 lbs of car/trailer is less weight and much more aerodynamic than my 5200 lbs camper. But double the rating is just too much.

I can tell you from personal experience that you will be just fine. 250 miles one way is not that much. You are not going to ruin the tranny, if anything, you might wear the clutch faster if you have a lot of stops. I too have wondered why the rating is often lower for the manual. If anything, the manual tows better because you can take full advantage of the engines torque. No stock 4.0 makes enough power to make the clutch slip. I say make sure your brakes are in good working order, and go for it.

Playing devil's advocate....

A lot can go wrong in 250 miles even without pulling a trailer let alone with a trailer at almost double the tow rating.

Also consider that your published ratings are your published ratings. There are no modifications that will change them. They are determined at the factory. Get pulled over for an inspection and no matter how many safety modifications you've performed, the weigh master or state trooper will probably give you a nice pat on the back followed by a big fat ticket.

I completely understand why you might be against it, but there is no reason for the low tow rating. If the only difference between the two is the transmission, the manual is more than up to the task. Is it the ideal tow vehicle for the job? No. Will it get the job done safely and reliable a few times a year? Absolutely.

Beware what you read on the interwebs is my take home message...

And that's OK. I'm often guilty of getting into arguments on these sites. But the point is to let people post questions, and let others give their opinions and experiences.

Then the OP can decide whether to do things my way, or the wrong way.:D

I'm open to hearing any reason why the manual's are always listed with less towing capacity on these. Most trucks the opposite is true. Maybe some lawsuit similar the the u-haul thing?

The lighter-duty vehicles will not get as strong of manual components compared to heavier-duty vehicles. You don't start seeing equality until the SuperDuty trucks.

Here is a link to the 2002 Ford Towing Guide
Using max GCVWR, for the largest engine & axle ratio available for the manual option:
a. Ranger and Explorer (4.0L V6): Auto=9,600; Manual=7,000
b. F150 (4.6L 3.55): Auto=11,000; Manual=7,800
c. F250/350 Pickup (7.3L Diesel 4.10): Auto=20,000; Manual=20,000
d. F350/450/550 Chassis Cab (7.3L Diesel 4.88): Auto=30,000; Manual=26,000

Playing devil's advocate....
Get pulled over for an inspection and no matter how many safety modifications you've performed, the weigh master or state trooper will probably give you a nice pat on the back followed by a big fat ticket.

none of the state troopers here really care except IL. Case in point, a subaru Forester towing another car made it all the way across OH and halfway across indiana until I stopped taking the same path as it. Passed at least a dozen troopers.

Got a point in case of an accident though.

none of the state troopers here really care except IL. Case in point, a subaru Forester towing another car made it all the way across OH and halfway across indiana until I stopped taking the same path as it. Passed at least a dozen troopers.

Got a point in case of an accident though.

Troopers not caring is not the same as not illegal. You want to risk running into the one state trooper that actually does care?

A ticket for towing overloaded is probably going to be the least of your worries if you're involved in an accident. You open yourself up to major liability, especially if your insurance company doesn't side with you...not to mention the whole risk of injury thing.

I can understand if you don't feel comfortable towing something, or if you don't want to cause damage, but being afraid of a ticket? Who is even going to know the towing capacity of the truck? We are talking about light duty towing. I see guys hooking GIANT 5th wheel campers to their pickups all the time. I know for a fact its neither safe or legal, but they do it. Towing a car? I wouldn't worry about being pulled over at all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You are obviously fine rolling the dice. Others may not be. Just pointing out the consequences. Nothing wrong with that.

Who is going to know what the tow capacity is? Anyone who decides to look it up? :dunno:

You know FOR A FACT that towing a 5th wheel with a pick up is not legal or safe? Ever hear of 3/4 ton or full ton pickups? Those are made to tow things like that.

Back