2005 explorer towing capacity - is it true? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2005 explorer towing capacity - is it true?

Hi guys looking for some clarification here.

Just looking through the owner manuals at https://www.fleet.ford.com/maintenance/owners_manuals/results.asp

and finally came across the towing capacity for the 4.6L Class III/IV towing package.
is it true that this model is capable of towing 11600 pounds?

if so, i was wondering if anyone knew the towing capacity of the 4.6L Class III/IV towing package on the 2003 & 2004 model? as the owner manuals dont show any loading or towing details for all models before 2005.

or are all gen 3 explorers around the same ratings?

Thanks in advance for your time.

Bonz.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Close, but, I didn't post capacities past 2001 I believe.

I can't imagine an 04-05 towing 11k. The transmission and IRS are the weak points, IMO, prohibiting such a high payload. You should be able to tow in the 6-7k range I'd think though.

GCVW is 11,600lbs. That means truck, contents, trailer (Gross Combined Vehicle Weight). With a class III/IV hitch and the V8, the trailer weight can be up to 7140lbs (4x2) or 7000lbs (4x4).

MountaineerGreen u are correct.
thankyou for the insight cozmik, im just learning along the way, appreciate it.

if im to get a second hand 2005 explorer 4.6L, am i sure to find that it will already have a class III/IV hitch?
or is it not a standard option..
if not, am i able to arrange it to be added, also i live in australia.

again thanx for your help.

Bonz

Nah it's not 11k.

My aftermarket class 3/4 hitch will hold 10k I believe.
But the truck can only hold around 7k if I remember correctly.

I've pulled 5k behind me before, it wasnt effortless or anything, but she pulled it nicely, it was VERY stabil and controllable on the highways, i had virtually ZERO sway under pretty steady winds.
You could definately feel alittle more heat in the cabin of the truck, especially near the floor/ center console area.....but the temperature never moved at all.

If you're towing heavy, PLEASE make sure the load is distributed evenly....meaning the load isnt too light or too heavy in the front area near the hitch. Also do the same in the back areas of the truck, dont pack it too heavy or too light........common sense.

I saw the statistics on U-haul and something like over 70% of accidents are caused with SUV's and people NOT evenly distributing the loads.
(i know the u-haul enclosed pull-behinds, you gotta put 60% of the load in the front or just on top of the axel or something......just a heads up)

ur aftermarket hitch?
is this a hitch that was machined/custom made or?
when u say it will hold 10k? are u talking about towing or the total weight.

and thanx for the info!
i 100% agree with you.

Just looked at it, max gross trailer weight w/ weight distribution 8000lbs.

Im gonna find the book, i dont know where i was getting 10,000 from.

Back