Hella 500s on Grizzly Oval Guard 1st Gen | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Hella 500s on Grizzly Oval Guard 1st Gen

I recently went wheeling with V8boatbuilder and have always liked the look of his Hellas... Anyway I dug out my old Grizzly grill guard (removed 4 years ago due to an accident). I sandblasted, Por-15, and then sprayed with rustoleum gloss black..
I located the switch in the stock fog switch area. I kept the switch to the left so I have room for an additional 2 switches in the same area. The switch gets power from the stock light switch (when running lights on).
18205102_02131.jpg

After loosening up the dash, I used a Dremel rotary tool to carve out the backside of the stock fog location. As you can see in the pic there is some boxed shaped plastic that needs to be removed.
18205102_02121.jpg

Back of dash with stock fog plastic box removed.
18205102_02111.jpg

18205102_02141.jpg

18205102_02181.jpg

18205102_02171.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice clean job

It's nice to see a modification done by a craftsman. I'll definately use your switch location (if I can) and procedure when I install lights on my X. Thanks.

Looking gooooood........

Thank you for the compliments. I have found Hella's Instruction sheet to be inaccurate and lacking in detail. I am enclosing the following diagram to facilitate wiring the lights. The diagram's wire colors match those in the Hella wiring harness. By taping into the Parking light circuit for the Switch's source power you will have the benefit of the "Lights On" Warning Chime.
18205Hella_Wiring_WEB.jpg

Nice diagram...I'll try to save that.

I rigged up my Hella's to Turn on with the Brights. And then I have an switch to turn them off. I love it that way because I use my hella's all the time through neighborhoods and when the freeway is clear.

My roof rack lights I hooked up to my stock foglight switch which is modded so it will work whenever the parking lights are on :)

Thanks for the tip Matt.. Now that I've driven around for a week I see/appreciate what you mean.. It would be better to tap into the High beam circuit instead of the parking circuit, that way you only need to toggle the high bean stick on the wheel instead of fumbling around for the switch.. :thumbsup:

The funny thing is it was my wifes idea and I was like "nawwwww" it also works well for getting peoples attention in the day! :) (like when a rice rocket cuts you off by 2ft)

I just put my hella's on and was not sure about puting the switch where you did. Now that I see the pics I will do the same.
Nice work.

Ok, I went home last night and re-wired the switch feed. I am now using the High Beams wire to power my Hella switch. I must say it makes a world of difference. You can leave the Hella switch on all the time and whenever you fire up your High Beams the switch will glow green and fire up the Hellas.
So a slightly modified diagram.
18205Hella_Wiring_WEB1.jpg

And here is the 1st Gen High Beam Wire to tap into. The Haynes manual lists it as being Red/black, but as you can see it was Light Green/With a black Stripe.
18205102_0221_WEB-med.jpg

Holy crap. Now thats wiring. I just took the signal for the highbeams from the headlight wiring harness.

Are those underdash wires?

When I was doing my BL and had some of the carpet/pannels up I couldn't believe how much wiring our trucks have. Its gota be miles worth.

The wiring in the photo is under the dash right behind the E-brake. The wire pointed to by the arrow connects to the High Beam switch. I found it was easier to tap into it here (otherwise I would need to remove the dash again)..

SSSSSsswwwwwwwwwwweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeetttttttttttttTTTTT :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Here is an updated picture of my X after being lifted...

18205Cape_2005.jpg

just found your thread nice truck
great job on the wiring

Back