• Register Today It's free!

brown wire mod

JEFF hILLYARD

Reaction score
City, State
lakeland fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer 4x4 sport
I cut the brown wire under the seat and disconnected the 4whd but the front drive shafts still turn. Got to be the hubs?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I believe that the front drive shaft will still turn thru the hubs when the truck is in motion. The brown wire mod only stops the transfer case from supplying power to the front drive shaft which gives you 2wd. If you lift the truck (all 4 wheels) off the ground and put it in gear, only the rear wheels should turn with the brown wire cut.

Lee

is there a reason y u would wanna disconnect 4wd?

You might want to do a search on "brown wire" or "brown wire mod" before posting. There are a ton of these out there and a couple with a multiple star rating with pics, why's, and how-to's.

Thanks! :)

*****inexplorer said:
is there a reason y u would wanna disconnect 4wd?

The brown wire mod does not apply to first generation X's. It only works on 2nd and 3rd's. And yes there are good reasons for disconnecting 4wd. Gives you full time 2wd option in low and high, saves on transfer case wear and may save some mpg.

Lee

JEFF hILLYARD said:
I cut the brown wire under the seat and disconnected the 4whd but the front drive shafts still turn. Got to be the hubs?
The front driveshaft will still turn because the Gen II Explorers do not have locking hubs like earlier versions. the wheel hubs are permanantly attached to the axle shafts, so the front driveshaft will spin all the time. What the brown wire mod does is releases the clutches in the xfer case so that power is not applied to the front driveshaft. (didn't I just explain this somewhere else?? :p )

Back