• Register Today It's free!

Factory alarm on 94

zebrex

Reaction score
City, State
effingham il
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 xlt 4x4
I am trying to figure out the factory alarm on my 94.

Sometimes when I turn off my truck the security dashlight will start flashing and sometimes it wont. I havent figured out the combination as to why or why not it flashes. I would also like to add keyless entry to it.

My 92 lincoln has a similar security system but did not come with any fobs. I was able to go on ebay buy a fob and program it to the car. Can I do that with my explorer. I am getting conflicting reports on wether or not 94 explorers came with the keyless module.

do explorers have a remote hatch release button? If it does i cant find it. but when I turn on the ignition I hear a loud click in the back like the truck is trying to make sure the rear glass is sealed before I drive away.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you not have a key fob? Only the limited came from the factory with an alarm. Dealer may have added one though. Or a former owner. In any case it should have the keyless on it. If I remember the factory unit didn't have a blinking light. Most aftermarket ones do. Take the panel under the steering wheel off, & look under the dash, & see if you can see the alarm brain. See if it has a model # or some indication of what brand it is. There is no remote hatch release. You either have to unlock it from the switch, the key, or the keyless entry of the remote.

I dont have a key fob but I do have a light on the instrument cluster that will blink after I shut the truck off. The light is next to the right turn signal indicator and looks very factory to me. the light says anti theft. This is an actual indicator light in the dash not somehting stuck to it. If I turn the truck off roll a window down and lock and close the doors and then reach in to open a door the horn blows and the lights start flashing. the only way to stop is to put a key in the door and unlock it. I also have dome light saftey if I leave my doors open for a period of time my dome lights shut off. I also have a factory looking hood pin switch in the engine compartment at first I tohught it was for the hood light but its not. I believe the hood light is on a tilt or mercury switch. I just want to add key fobs so I can have keyless entry. If this is a dealer installed alarm where should I look for the module it not under the colum I already looked there.

Ok I found the factory alarm and keyless entry module in the rear by the rear washer bottle there is a little grey connector that i jumped with a paper clip and I used the fob from my 92 conti as a test unit. I now have keyless entry on my 94. WOOT.

I still cant release the rear door or glass from it but I can arm, disarm, lock and unlock the doors with it. also when I unlock my doors I get dome lights before I open the door.
no the only problem I have is the fob I used works both my lincoln and my explorer. But I dont lock the doors at home when there in the garage and the odds of them being parked at the same store are pretty low.

Anyway as far as I can tell a 94 XLT can have a factory alarm. :thumbsup:

Nobody can release the hatch or glass with keyless entry :D

i'm sure you can POP the hatch with a keyfob(and some pretty significant mods), but not open it. also, do you have pics of your dash or the alarm brain? i didnt know 94s had keyless entry as an option(esp on an xlt)

I will take pics tonight when I get home

I am not 100% sure what I found is the alarm control module but I believe it is. just in front of the rear wiper tank there is a bank of relays and a module in front of it. I believe this is the keyless/ alarm module. this is also where I found the little grey connedctor that I bridged to put the truck in programing mode. If this module is for somthing else somebody let me know before I take pics of somthing that wont help anyone.

I hope the side affect of my find is that most of the 1 gen owners can buy key fobs on ebay for a song and get keyless entry on the cheap.

My 94 XLT has the "Anti-Theft" system with keyless entry. The fobs are all over ebay for 20 bucks a pair. It's just a passive device, so breaking a window won't set it off, but opening a door will. Go figure. Also, mine has a silly "feature" that newer VW's have... If you lock and arm with the fob, and then try to unlock with the key, it will set off the alarm. If you lock with the key but not with the fob, and leave the key turned for a few seconds, it'll arm the alarm too... It's very factory, and was only available in the highest package option. (leather, power, etc) ...Or so says my window sticker. :)

Thing that sucks about the stock alarms is that if you ever want a remote starter put in, it's a $90 box to bypass the stock alarm. Obviously it's a "tamperproof" system. (take it out, NOTHING works... at least that's what happened in mine. :) )

Glad to see im not the only 94 xlt with alarm and keyless Can you pop the rear glass or door with your fob? I have all options except leather.

here are some bad pics of my anti theft light and the dongle that I jumped to get it into programmig mode

alarm1.jpg

alarm2.jpg

plug.jpg

goobenet

can you unlatch the rear door with your fob?

No. SUV's in general don't have hatch poppers.

huskyfan23 said:
No. SUV's in general don't have hatch poppers.

my 94 rodeo and my bosses 2001 grand cherokee both did

How aboot.. SUV's with opening glass and hatch :D

The dash light flashing is telling you that the alarm is/is not armed. When you arm it, the light changes. You can arm or disarm it with the key.
To unlock the door, and disarm the alarm, you must turn the key to the lock side first, for a moment. LOL,
DonW

cool, thanks I didnt know that.

what I still havent figured out is sometimes when I shut off the truck it doesnt come on at all and some times it flashes, and sometimes its solid

there is also that LOUD click in the rear that I hear from the rear door area when I turn the key to run. I have no idea what this is.

No i cannot pop the glass or rear hatch with it, but i've thought about adding that... it's only $300 kit that people use for shaved door handles... :/ (i think it'll only do hatch and not glass, but i could see it doing the glass, just have to hide it in the rear hatch somewhere...)

Back