Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rebuilding a 2nd gen Explorer with a 1st gen rear clip

CDW6212R

Hauls the mail.
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 Limited AWD 302
Hello, here is my mail vehicle upgrade project. I have a 93 Limited 4x4 which was going to start costing a bunch of money to rebuild the chassis, to last another 5-10 years. The engine and trans have tough miles on them, the brakes are trouble now to service every year from mail delivery. It's a truck that is more trouble to care for, than to change to something else. So rebuild a bunch of things, or find something else that's better.

I decided to find a less expensive method to do that, including less than buying a later model. I found a 99 Limited 4x4 last Winter, for $1500. I originally wanted to swap only the chassis, not the dash or any body parts.

I discovered the differences in the two front clips, and decided to lessen the front end fabricating, wiring labor, etc. The front clip of the 99 was still good, so I am swapping the whole rear clip. By using the whole clip, with wiring, dash, AC, and everything under the hood, the clipping process is the hard part. So I'm rebuilding the 99 with the 93 rear clip, and some new 98-01 front end parts.

Feel free to comment or ask any questions, I'll do what I can to help. Regards,

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wnat pictures of the work.:D Good luck also, sounds very challenging.

You could describe this as fixing the 99 with my 93 body, but I'm not trying to change vehicles, titles, or values. I'm only interested in maintaining the 93 body interior space, for my work. This is my work vehicle, it will not be sold, and I will wear it out.

Of course with any big project, there are changes in plans, and possible better solutions. I couldn't wait for some amazing deal on a later model, I don't usually get those. So this was more likely to get me a final product that I can use for work for many more years to come.

This picture is of a 94 Limited, just like mine started as. I had my 93 Limited painted in 2000, so it looked original except for the pinstripe.

Attachments

• Stock94Limited.jpg
    Stock94Limited.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 4,899

I have been collecting parts for a long time. Finding time to work on the big stuff has been hard. I have had the 99 chassis and SOHC fully serviced for quite a while. I started this week on the actual cutting and body separating of the 93.

Attachments

• Projectthread001.JPG
    Projectthread001.JPG
    97.1 KB · Views: 4,835
Last edited:

Here is the 99 Limited as it began, basically only one fender and the fender flares outside were usable.

Projectthread002.JPG

Last edited:

o ya ! this is going to be good ...
popcorn2.gif

This is the 93 body being set onto the 99 chassis, before finishing the cuts. The center section accross the tunnel has already been cut. Regards,

Attachments

• Projectthread003.JPG
    Projectthread003.JPG
    75.7 KB · Views: 4,770

dude this is an awesome project!

The cut accross the 93 body.

Attachments

• Projectthread004.JPG
    Projectthread004.JPG
    70.4 KB · Views: 4,835

Sounds like one heck of a project. Good luck :)

VERY awsome project!! i cant wait to see it done.

are the fender flares/running boards any good from the '99 wrecked truck? are you planing on using them?

Yes, I debated about using just my 93 running boards, the 99 type with flares, or the 95-978 style. I didn't run accross any of the 95-98 style easily, so I will use the 99 pieces. Other than glass damage, they're good.

Attachments

• Projectthread005.JPG
    Projectthread005.JPG
    56.1 KB · Views: 4,806

I would just buy another one. Time and mony put in ain't worth it.

You have a lift in your driveway. I hate you. :D

Looks great so far!

wow thats ALOT of work, my kinda people!

A Frankensplorer...93/99 hybrid, those are always neat to read about, even neater to see in person.

Um now wait a second.
First the Gen I front clip looked in good shape.

It is my understanding that the 2nd gen front clip will fit a Gen I, all you have to change out is the radiator support? fenders. header panel, hood, should all bolt up, no?

What is the purpose for the entire 99 clip?

CDW6212R said:
Yes, I debated about using just my 93 running boards, the 99 type with flares, or the 95-978 style. I didn't run accross any of the 95-98 style easily, so I will use the 99 pieces. Other than glass damage, they're good.

Are you keeping the 1st gen Limited grille? If you're just going to throw it away, I'll take it.

The 93 front end is all good, all parts.

I could have sectioned the top half of the 99 front clip. That would have retained the fender mounting points, the radiator support match, and headlight space. That is the only good way to mount the 91-94 front end onto a 2ng gen. clip. Plus the bumper mounts are far different.

I chose not to do that because of that difficult sectioning. I didn't feel comfortable trying to do that myself, nor did I want to pay someone to come to do it. I left the clip intact, and found the other 95-01 parts to complete the front end. I only had to get two fenders, a hood and bumper.

I'll sell any of the 93 Limited front end parts. The 93 chassis is the big piece that I need to get rid of. The engine is really the only thing I'd rather not scrap. I don't have time to take everything apart. Regards,

Last edited:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the 93 clip cut off, and the start of fitting the 99 clip.

Attachments

• Projectthread006.JPG
    Projectthread006.JPG
    69.2 KB · Views: 4,632
  • Projectthread007.JPG
    Projectthread007.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 4,644

Back