LED License plate lights. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

LED License plate lights.

LED License plate illunination lights

I didnt take any pictures of the actual building of these, but they are just like my puddle lights except these use 3 LEDs. They are 110,000mcd LEDs that I trimmed the ends off of to make them less directional.

Attachments

• LEDs 011 (Medium).jpg
    LEDs 011 (Medium).jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 839
  • LEDs 010 (Medium).jpg
    LEDs 010 (Medium).jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 829

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

lookin sharp, so are those clears that you got... i assume you got the "good" reds in there :)

newc5188 said:
lookin sharp, so are those clears that you got... i assume you got the "good" reds in there :)

Yes, they are clear tails. The bulbs are actually red tinted bulbs with the little APC red bulb condoms. They work really well like this. The red tinted bulbs look orange/pink by them self....but the little bulb covers fixed that. I bought some 3157 LEDs from ebay that had 27 LEDs in them, but they wouldnt fit. They lacked the part of the bulb that makes it stay in the socket. So, I figured I would mod them to fit-but after taking them apart and testing them, I found out that their design makes them be equally bright on the running light contact as the tail contact. MEANING, if you have your headlights on, there is no difference in output if you hit your brakes.

Another cool lighting feature by you Justin. Good job!

-Drew

EDIT: what size are the license plate bulbs? 194s?

Holy geez that's a great idea! I'm going to have to do that now :D

Stop beating me to it! I wanna be one up on you for once! Although I'm going to try thisone myself.

So if you trim the ends off, they become less directional? Meaning they will be more of a flood light?

Just finished mine. Not sure how well they'll work as the first gen lenses are a whole lot smaller and a lot more directional that second. I'll get a pic when it gets dark.

well, I have to admit it- I got the idea from Todd:) If you cut the ends off, they become slightly less directional. The only problem with these is that the LEDs will point away from the plate, towards the ground and the back side of the little black trim piece on the door. I will be adding some aluminum tape to the backside of the trim to reflect the light back to the plate.

Here is the panel beside the stock bulb. I think it is a 194 bulb. You could replace the bulb with the LED 194 bulbs, but they wont be as bright.

Attachments

• LEDs (Small).jpg
    LEDs (Small).jpg
    63 KB · Views: 3,175

Too bad the 95 - 97's are located on the bumper. Or I would actully purchase them from you.

Fordexplorer157 said:
Too bad the 95 - 97's are located on the bumper. Or I would actully purchase them from you.

Don't say the P word!!!!

IAmTodd said:
Don't say the P word!!!!

HAHA..we dont want to get the thread deleted now do we:)

I can't do any sales or talk about sales throught the board because I am not an EF Vendor...sorry for the confusion:)

Is there a extra cost to being a Vendor? I mean your a Elite Member already.

justin146 said:
I can't do any sales or talk about sales throught the board because I am not an EF Vendor...sorry for the confusion:)

Fordexplorer157 said:
Is there a extra cost to being a Vendor? I mean your a Elite Member already.

Yea, $100 :rolleyes: I hardly see how he's considered a vendor.

Heck, sell them on E-Bay. It would be a whole lot cheaper.

dang those things are bright! Looks good tho, jus dont know if I want that bright of light shining on my plate.

What is the description of the LED so we can make our own setups ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back