Painted my bumpers and cladding last weekend! Here are the results! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Painted my bumpers and cladding last weekend! Here are the results!

dgonz

Reaction score
City, State
Porterville, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLS
I'm pretty happy with how it turned out :D

Before:
100_8264.jpg

100_8262.jpg

100_8260.jpg

100_8261.jpg

IMG_20110402_172336.jpg

After: (Sorry about the glare, i know it's pretty bad)
100_8273.jpg

100_8266-1.jpg

100_8272.jpg

100_8271.jpg

100_8270.jpg

100_8268.jpg

100_8267.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Looks great man, just a suggestion but you might wana add another layer to cover up some of the plastic discolor lines.

They can be a ***** to cover up, usually takes a couple of layers and some wet sanding to get cover them up.

:thumbsup::biggthump

Looks great man, just a suggestion but you might wana add another layer to cover up some of the plastic discolor lines.

They can be a ***** to cover up, usually takes a couple of layers and some wet sanding to get cover them up.

:thumbsup::biggthump

I stared at these pictures for like 45 minutes after I read this lol then I went out and walked around my truck 7 or 8 times. I think what's showing in the picture is glare. I was sunset when I took these because I can't find any discoloration lol. You made me all paranoid man!

nice! thats pretty good if thats your first time painting anything like that. the rear bumper came out especially nice. tomorrow im going to find out whether i will be getting a new set of black wheels or if i will be painting my stock rims black. if/when i do it, ill document it and post up my results too. the red on black looks nice with the dual pipes on the rear!

I was really nervous. I'd never painted anything before so I'm pretty happy with how it came out all things considered. Yea I'm real interested in the painting the stock wheels idea. I'm eventually going to get some Cragar soft 8's in black but I kinda want to throw on the TT/Shackles/new tires/new wheels all at once lol so I have to buy in increments. Thanks for all your advice it really helped.

Thanks a lot!

I used the Satin Black Krylon Fusion paint. That stuff is awesome.

Oh, ok. Yeah, glare will do that. Looks really good man !!!

Really looks good... your first time? dude your a natural spray painter!

Thanks man! It took me almost 8 hours lol I was exhausted and filthy on Saturday but definitely satisfied.

Did you prep while cladding on the truck, or did yoou take off? Looking to do the same to mine.

Did you prep while cladding on the truck, or did yoou take off? Looking to do the same to mine.

you need to prep after you take it off. its important to get all the dirt, clumps and other crap off of all sides of the cladding, including the side that rests against the body of the truck. if you dont, you will get all that stuff mixed into your paint job. easiest way to prep: remove the cladding, scrub with water and car wash soap, rinse, do it again, rinse, dry, then give it a good nce over with simple green and a rag, dry, and then paint. the painting is the easiest part. the preparation is everything. good luck and post pics!

Back