DeRocha

NEX Vice President
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Brockton, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 XLT 4x4
My restoration project actually started out as just a weekend project to replace my Radius arm bushings. Unfortunately as I got into the tear down I kept discovering worn parts that needed to be replaced. So instead of just replacing the Radus arm bushings I ended up replacing every single factory suspension bushing with an Energy suspension Polyurethane counterpart... I also replaced all body mounts with Polyurethane Bushings from DayStar (see my DayStar Body Mount install thread for info and pics) As I was tearing into everything I decided It would be best just to do everying at once and get it over with. Therefore after removing everything I wired brushed and sandblasted all metal parts down to bar metal and coated everything with POR-15.

For additional info see Ted's 1st Gen Ball and U-joint replacement

New Ball joints, U-joints, Outer tie rods
Radius arm bushings, Axle Pivot Bushings, Sway bar bushings.
Rotors, Wheel Bearings, Spindle Bearings, Axle Seals, brakes

Bushings (Energy Suspension)
Radius Arm 4.7110
Axle Pivot 4.3133
Front Sway Bar 4.5115
Rear Sway bar 4.5116
Leaf Springs 4.2124
Ball joints (Moog) greasable Rockauto.com
Upper (2) K8546
Lower (2) K8563
U-Joints (Brute Force)
Wheel Joints (3) 1-0297BF (front axle U-joints 1 drivers, 2 pass)
Front Shaft (3) 1-0153BF
Rear Shaft (2) 1-0153BF
Brakes
Rotors (2) Lappens (lifetime warranty)
Wheel Bearings (4) Timkin LM
Wheel Seals (2) 4950
Pads Front
Pins caliper (4)
Hoses Left F130435 (Wagner) Rockauto.com
Right F130436 (Wagner)
Spindle 40-50ft/lbs
Bearing (2) (Timkin B2110) {within the spindle}
Seal inner (2) (Motorcraft BRS-88 F3TZ-1S175-AA) {End of spindle}
Seal outer (2) (Timkin 722109) {Attached to the stub Axle}
Tie Rod (Perfect Circle) Autozone
Outer L DS1177
Outer R DS1176
Oxygen Sensor (2) Bosch 7115

Here is a picture of the Right side coil spring retainer nut being removed.
18205Coil_Spring_removal_WEB.jpg

TTB, Radius Arm and Sway bar mounted bracket
Copy_of_FORD_001.jpg

Radius arm after being wire brushed.
Radius_Arm_cleaned.jpg

Here is the double cardan front drive shaft.
Double_Cardan_U-joint_1.jpg

Here are the TTBeams Sandblasted, washed, and ready for some Por-15
18205TTB_Sandblasted_WEB.jpg

Restored Radius Arm Mounting brackets.
18205Radius_Arm_Frame_Brackets.jpg

Steering Knuckle with new Moog ball joints and ABS sensor protector. 6mm x 1.00 cap bolt
18205Restored_Steering_knuckle_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

Here is the TTB Dana 35 restored and ready for re-installation. New Energy Suspension Axle pivot bushings.
TTB_and_components_ready_for_install_WEB.jpg

Front_Sway_bar_After.jpg

18205Restored_Steering_knuckle_WEB.jpg

18205Right_side_new_WEB.jpg

Restored Left side.
18205Restored_Left_front_WEB.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

niiice, now when you wheel and scratch it, its gonna suck.

That looks real nice.

Here are some pics of the restored from driveshaft. The first pic is of the centering ball stud, while the other 2 are of the double cardan joint.
MY_PI050.jpg
MY_PI054.jpg

MY_PI058.jpg

Do the new body mounts improve the ride at all? I've been thinking about doing this because mine are shot. Where do you get the mounts and how much were they.

DeRocha - I have always been impressed with your informational threads and this is just another to add to your list. Very good job. Everything was done wonderfully. You're showing people what time and effort can make. Looks like you had a great outcome. :thumbsup:

-Drew

It sure looks perty, great job making everything look newer than original! Later - Nate

EMG7895 said:
Do the new body mounts improve the ride at all? I've been thinking about doing this because mine are shot. Where do you get the mounts and how much were they.
I installed new body mounts since the originals mounts were deteriorated pretty badly as can be seen below. The body mounts help tighten up my loose ride .. The ride wasn't bad, but just a little loose..
I had ordered the DayStar Body mount (KF04009) kit from Rocky Mountain Suspension ~$135.. All this info can be found in the Daystar link in my 1st post...
18205Body_mount_3R-med.jpg

red detailing?

hey DeRocha, did you paint the red details with a different color of por 15? or did the parts come red? ie coil springs.

hey DeRocha, did you paint the red details with a different color of por 15? or did the parts come red? ie coil springs.

All the red accents are from (red) Rustoleum applied over the Por-15.

awesome, still after 4 years that is one pretty TTB

DeRocha you still running the moog ball joints?

I have 3 sets wear out on me very quickly... I have switched from Moog (downhill fast) to Mcquay norris extreme duty... oh my they are nice!

awesome, still after 4 years that is one pretty TTB

DeRocha you still running the moog ball joints?

I have 3 sets wear out on me very quickly... I have switched from Moog (downhill fast) to Mcquay norris extreme duty... oh my they are nice!

The moog ball joints lasted about 2 years.. I switch to some extreme duty Spicer joints last time... so far they are ok, but I've been light on the wheeling for the past year..

soo mutch wonderful work of this pretty yhings are this you called por 15 some type oc thin paint for a can or an brush ?? well any way me love this way you do the work man pretty nice done

do you go to restore the rest of frame to and body ??? tell us if you got some idea in the time nice done rocha

Back