Solved - 91-94 MAFS Fix | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Solved 91-94 MAFS Fix

Prefix for threads that contain problems that have been resolved, and there is an answer within the thread.

Gary Simpson

Reaction score
City, State
Vineland,NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
97' Ford Explorer
91-94 Explorers always had problems with the mass air flow sensors new or old. To fix this problem that I have come across is using a 89 mustang mass air flow sensor it increased throttle response, air intake and with a little horse power. Being cheap and easy to get at any junk yard or brand new. Ever since I have corrected this problem its never let me down.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Aldive has a thread about using the larger throttle body from the V8 on the V6. Besides having a larger opening, is it also recalibrated for a slightly different output signal? Do most years cross reference over?

Brooklyn, the cross reference signals dont matter they dont effect anything in a negative way. The only thing it does improve performance.

89-94 pony cross match with explorers

for u explorer lovers if u do this go to your nearest autozone to get the cone filter u need, which u need get the biggest one they have 3 1/2 inlet filter to on the mustang mass air

What is the actual difference between both of them? Is it because they are bigger, so they let more air volume pass through, or is there something else that is different? Would other years work too, like any other one from a 5.0? Ford Motorsport sells performance models for the 5.0. Would that be even better, or would something too different throw a check engine light?

thats hot but it still bolts to ur stock air box not gaining anything. with the mustang u can adapt snorkel or a cone filter

They also make adapters for this, so you could use cone shaped air filters. I saw them in AutoZone, and PepBoys. What do you think about what was mentioned in post # 5? By the way, what were the original problems with the stock MAF sensors used in the Explorers?

the were pinging none stop no matter wat and poor throttle response

Please keep the thread to it's topic - not about other modifications to other vehicles or, as already done, your post will be deleted. Do not make me close the thread

-Drew

What is the actual difference between both of them? Is it because they are bigger, so they let more air volume pass through, or is there something else that is different? Would other years work too, like any other one from a 5.0? Ford Motorsport sells performance models for the 5.0. Would that be even better, or would something too different throw a check engine light?

The difference between the 2 r this r better throttle repsonse, better air volume, and more horses. Also the high performance mustang Mas airs will be even better but they can be expansive but it is the thing 2 do makin ur exploxer think its a race car. Another thing is they make explorer mas airs but its not as good as this.

Are you talking about just the sensor, or the sensor and the housing?

Yeah probably the housing really, i think the housing i have is off a stang, fit the biggest cone filter i could find on it. I also tried 3 different maf sensors in it with no difference between them. One is my spare sitting in the middle compartment lol.

Then i wonder were in the heck is my housing from :confused:
picxs_158.jpg

The mounts on the bottom look very simmilar to the ebay one :p

Brandon, are you using the stock Explorer electronics in the the stang MAF? Was any reprograming of the computer needed for this?

Well im running alright next to a couple unrelated problems. It even ran fine with the stang sensor (if it even is the stang sensor). I was just amazed the first time i put it on.

Also ive changed filter to one twice as long and that would fit right onto the mafs housing without the adaptor, that pic showed the housing better though.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

brandon that looks kinda cool and i've wanted to put something like that on my truck. Where did you and what did you use to put that together? If you can PM about what you did it would be great. later, Steve

Back