4WD dash switch does not appear to be working | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

4WD dash switch does not appear to be working

Stone-ok

Reaction score
City, State
NE Oklahoma
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport Trac
I have a 2001 Sport Trac with 4wd, and selector switch in the dash. I have recently tried to switch from 2wd to any of the the 4x4 settings (high or low), and the selector light in the cluster panel will not light up, nor does the differential switch. I have taken the in dash switch out and tested with continuity tester. The switch had a plug with black, yellow (w/ blue stripe), white (w/ black stripe), and a red (w/ black stripe) wires. I tested the corresponding prongs for each of the wires. There was a complete circuit when I tested the red & black prongs. However, when I tested the red (or black) with any of the other two - I received no complete circuit (with moving the switch to those related positions). To my old way of thinking, this tells me that the in dash switch is bad. Is this the correct way to test this switch, or is it possible that something else could be my concern?

Thank you for any help that you can give.

Stone-ok

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Same Here

I also have a 2001 trac that has just recently did the same thing... I brought it to a buddy that works for ford and he said, the the power modules go bad behind the center of the dash... I have a 4wd schematic right from ford if you would like me to scan it and send it to you...
Like I said... I know how you feel...
I am hating life without 4 wheel now...

Ahh, im having the same problem, found out last night from first night of snow fall..that schematic would come in handy.. Thanks!

Have '01 sport with same problem. Other threads mention 4wd module. I'm trying to figure out where the problem is. Schematic for sport trac might help, but really need to know more about the 4wd module, location and removal. I think it's behind the glove box based on sounds made when switching (when it worked). Any help, pictures or advice could save me 3 or 4 hundred $$

Going to bump this. I have a friend that has a 2001 Sport Trac. His 4x4 switch is not working. Any help would be great.

Thanks

bump

The problem is not the switch, but the module that is located in the passenger side kick panel. Swap out this module and your 4X4 will work.

Hi do you still have the wiring diagram of the sport trac switch, my truck has the same problem, it doesn't shift to 4x4 low or high lights off, they only on for a while when I crank my truck.
Sifter motor works fine I took it off and tested with a 12v battery and works perfectly.
So I think must be a 4x4 controller or computer module I almost 100% sure switch is fine.
Any body got the wiring diagram?

How much did you pay for the module?
where is located?

How much did you pay for the module?
where is located?

Mine was fixed under warranty dont know the price, location was at the Ford dealer. I assume this is the location you are asking about since I already said where it was located in the truck.

Hi Chad:
I did find the module thanks.
I will dig to find out if there is a way to test this module!!
Cause I read in another forum that if the lights are on when you crnk the car the module is fine!! wht do you think??

How to test the switch!!! OK here it goes:

1.-The switch has 4 wires, the two on the sides Balck and Red are to iluminate the 2H, 4H, 4L indicator and has 6v when you turn on the lights.
2.-Inside the switch are 3 resistors that are selected when you move from
2H 4H & 4L. so place an Ohm meter (multimeter) on the two middle wires it must read:
3.9K ohms in the first position then move it to next position and you read 1K ohm then move it to last position and it will read 363 ohms those are the values of the three resistors inside.
If so your switch is fine.

if you need a switch, let me know, I'll sell you mine cheap. I have a manual and is now just decoration. :rolleyes:

Thanks but after digging on this I will need the 4x4 module not the switch.
Do you have one?
I think I am gonna leave it like that for a while I barely use 4x4.

Correct name for the part is "Transfer Shift Control Module"
Ford Part # TM 101
Ford Price $231.00
Note: Local auto parts doesn't carry it.

i recently had the same problem with my 4 wheel drive. well i got it diagnosed and some computer something or another went bad on the 4x4.the chip was $230 and to program it was $100. i was pissed. but it works great now

Back