Indiana record snow/ice+ADD= projects | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Indiana record snow/ice+ADD= projects

Jonathan46237

Reaction score
City, State
Indianapolis, Indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 mountaineer
I have been going stir crazy this winter and with a extreme case of ADD this is what I have so far.

IMAG0318.jpg

IMAG0354.jpg

IMAG0355.jpg

IMAG0356.jpg

IMAG0360.jpg

IMAG0021.jpg

IMAG0024.jpg

IMAG0366.jpg

Its too cold to finish the fiberglass so this one is on the back burner.

Homemade Prochamber
IMAG0050.jpg

IMAG0051.jpg

IMAG0052.jpg

IMAG0220.jpg

Dont grab hot pipes

IMAG0053.jpg

Half way done but waiting to remove the tcase so I can run a better setup..... So this brings my Biggest project so far.... GM 3800 M90 $40.00

IMAG0074.jpg

IMAG0127.jpg

IMAG0167.jpg

IMAG0168.jpg

IMAG0383.jpg

IMAG0382.jpg

IMAG0386.jpg

IMAG0394.jpg

IMAG0395.jpg

Heat exchanger??? maybe?

IMAG0381.jpg

CCEUewCWkKGrHqJiIE0F9KtlRwBNJ8Gk2lw0_12.jpg

Aftercooler pump new online $150... pull a part $8 (notice the snow)

IMAG0126.jpg

I am coping the tork tech secondary belt drive system

IMAG0207.jpg

SBC camaro pulley bolted to my factory crank pulley

IMAG0209.jpg

the only thing I have left to do is have a plate welded to the sc so I can bolt a intake tube to it, I have that planed for tomorrow. I wish I had a tig for this aluminum that's why I chose steel for my intake. I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself.

I need to make a trip to pull a part to get a Lincoln Mark VIII throttle body, MAF, 8 Injectors from SC 3800 GM cars 38#ers (I am kinda struggling on the injectors, I hope they work, I plan on getting wiring adapters and changing the fuel rail height to seal but I cant figure out if they are the same size O rings or not)

I need to go to the metal yard and get some metal for my secondary pulley plate

and then the tune..... ahh the tune.... I really wanted to go sniper but apparently they cant figure out how to make it work with our ecu, so it is going to be SCT :( I really have no problem with it but it goes back to why pay someone to do something you can do yourself, the sniper gives me the opportunity to do everything myself.... when I want... how I want. I know Im probably in better hands with a experienced tuner but it takes all the fun out of it knowing you did it all on your own.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Great photo's mate Holy sheep s***, you haven't half been busy!!:thumbsup:

Great work so far! WOW! Wish I had the tools and skills you have.

I live on the south side of Indianapolis and would love to see your work when you're all done!

Yea sounds good, Im a south sider too I live off stop11

You are literally right around the corner. I'm at Banta and Bluff.

Great work so far! WOW! Wish I had the tools and skills you have.
+1

Good looking project there! I too have been trying, mainly thinking about, doing little things (very little things compared to your work :D) to my X. I last about 2.5 minutes and head back inside due to the cold. Oh well...here's to looking forward to the summer.

Anyway, checking in from the opposite side of town; 31 and 126th St.

If you Indianapolis guys are interested we should all meet up sometime this spring and show off all of our hard work

I have a 97 Mountaineer and am in Lafayette but I might be down for a meet.

...........the only thing I have left to do is have a plate welded to the sc so I can bolt a intake tube to it, I have that planed for tomorrow. I wish I had a tig for this aluminum that's why I chose steel for my intake. I hate paying someone to do something I can do myself.................

.......................and then the tune..... ahh the tune.... I really wanted to go sniper but apparently they cant figure out how to make it work with our ecu, so it is going to be SCT :( I really have no problem with it but it goes back to why pay someone to do something you can do yourself, the sniper gives me the opportunity to do everything myself.... when I want... how I want. I know Im probably in better hands with a experienced tuner but it takes all the fun out of it knowing you did it all on your own.

Nice work, but why not just get a spool gun for the MIG welder.? Then you can weld aluminum, which would be much better/lighter/prettier for that blower adapter. Not to mention, when things heat up, and the aluminum lower intake and the steel adapter expand at different rates, you may end up with some serious intake leaks, especially after you throw boost pressure into the mix. for what you would spend, paying someone else to the TIG welding on the blower, couldn't that go a long way towards a spool gun setup? For that matter, I think Northern and/or Harbor Freight have relatively inexpensive TIG machines.

As for the tune, you're much better off w/ SCT. I had looked into the Sniper stuff at one point. It just "feels" like SCT is much more competent, and has better quality stuff. As for doing it yourself, you can get the Pro-Racer Package from SCT (or your favorite SCT dealer). You'll still need a handheld tuner (like the Xcal3, Livewire,etc...) as an interface with the vehicle, but the PRP is the software which gives you full access to tuning all the PCM parameters. From what I understand, it is exactly the same stuff the SCT dealers use to write custom tunes, except your software would be limited to only being able to write tunes for your PCM boxcode. In other words, it won't let you use it to tune a friend's Mustang or something, or even another vehicle you own (unless you pay an additional fee for the "tables" for that boxcode).

Now, if somebody would make that secondary drive plate for a 4.0L SOHC, then I could do an M90 while keeping my underdrive crank pulley, and without the need for some crazy small blower pulley.

Oh, also, I was curious what is that pump you got from the junkyard? (year/make/model/"original" function)

I wouldn't suggest using the heater core for a heat exhanger. I just don't think they are "tough" enough to handle the vibration,etc... that they would experience on/near the engine. I think you would have a leak pretty quickly.

I totally agree with you on the aluminum part but this has been a how cheap can I do it and doing it just to say I can do it. I have read so many forums where people say its too much work, don't waste the money, and the M90 is too small. I just want to show people anything is possible and with some creativity you can do cool things. I think once I get this mess of parts together and it runs it will be time to go back and upgrade part by part as needed to make it bullet proof. Believe it or not I'm less than $200 into this, I just got a mark viii throttle body (same as cobra) and 80mm mass air for $40, Im getting 8 36lb injectors from a newer GTP for less than $100...... I will post some pictures of how I'm making my drive plate tomorrow....... The pump is a heater core circulating pump from ehh 00 ish cadillac catera. And for the heater core I'm with you on that, that was my biggest fear so I have scraped the idea and I'm waiting to get the thing started then go back to the aftercooler...... Ohh BTW I got a really nice expansion tank for the cooler out of a crown vic for $4 and it looks perfect sitting next to my factory coolant tank. Sorry if this is hard to read or misspelled , I am replying from my phone.

8mm studs, You can also see the new drive pulley bolted in place

IMAG0417.jpg

poster board for template

IMAG0418.jpg

IMAG0411.jpg

Bolts welded from behid

IMAG0414.jpg

IMAG0412.jpg

IMAG0415.jpg

If you Indianapolis guys are interested we should all meet up sometime this spring and show off all of our hard work

Absolutely, although my stock truck isn't going to be much to look at! ;)

And that M90 sure brings back memories to my old 2000 Bonneville SSEi and the performance mods I had on it.

i am in south bend might have to meet up someday

I am on NW side of Indy, would love to have an explorer meet up sometime. Lowered mine and planning a engine swap soon. I already have the engine, just need to get some money for the little bits.

Very cool. I have an m90 lying around but have more experience with turbo charging and a couple turbos lying around. Never did find a good tuner for my 4.0 02' so just gave up.

Back