How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How To: Replacing Front Hub / Bearing 1995+ Ford Explorer IFS

ncc

Reaction score
City, State
Manchester, NH
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Eddie Bauer
Okay, continuing on my list of how-to's it's now time to change the front hub/bearing assemblies.

Work was peformed on a 1997 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC 4x4.

I purchased a DynaPak hub assembly from Advance Auto for $177. Seems to be a solid unit and I've heard from people in the past that have not had any problems with them. They do have a one year warranty against defects.

newhubassemblywithtext.jpg

You should also purchase a new axle nut. They're not that expensive and since you're going to waste a lot of lactic-acid getting it off, you may as well put a new shiny one in its place.

Tools you will need:

Jack
Jack stands
Lug nut wrench (should be with your jack in your vehicle)
1 1/4" socket OR
32mm socket
1/2" drive breaker bar
1/2" drive ratchet
3/8" ratchet
15mm socket
3/8" drive 3" extension
1/2" drive 3" or 6" extension
8mm wrench
Rubber mallet
Safety glasses
Long bar that will fit over your breaker bar's handle
Anti-Seize
Lok-Tite (blue tube)

*If you haven't noticed by reading my other how-to threads, I am an anti-seize *****. I believe in the stuff very strongly as I tend to hang on to my vehicles long enough to run into these repairs more than once. So it's a good way to plan ahead for the next time and you WILL thank yourself when that day finally comes.*

Hub Removal:

1. Loosen lug nuts

2. Loosen and remove axle nut with either 1 1/4" OR 32mm socket on a breaker bar. Try not to use your ratchet as you could damage it with the amount of force you'll need to get this nut off. You may need a long bar to put over your breaker bar for leverage.

3. Jack up vehicle and support it securely with jack stands.

4. Remove wheel.

5. Remove brake caliper. Two 15mm bolts hold this on.

6. Remove brake rotor. This just floats on the hub so a few good whacks with your rubber mallet should break it free.

7. Remove dust cover. Three 8mm bolts hold this on.

This is what you should now see:

Hub.jpg

8. Remove the 8mm bolt that holds the ABS Sensor wire to the back of the steering knuckle:

abswirebracketwithtext.jpg

9. Disconnect the ABS Sensor wire quick-connect under the front bumper and any other clips securing this wire to the body:

absconnectorwithtext-1.jpg

10. Remove the three 15mm bolts holding the hub assembly to the steering knuckle:

hubboltswithtext.jpg

11. Hit the lug side of the hub with your rubber mallet a few times; it should break free. Then it just slides off the axle splines and into your hands.

You should now see this:

axleendandknuckleracewithtext.jpg

Notice the huge amount of rust, fried grease and debris that was in the hub/bearing aperture.

12. Thoroughly clean and inspect the axle splines and hub/bearing aperture. Use a degreaser spray if necessary. Lay a film of anti-seize along the mating surfaces of the aperture and center flange of the axle.

cleanaxleendandknuckleracewithtext.jpg

13. Install new hub assembly by sliding unit onto axle splines and pushing back until it mates with the steering knuckle. Put some Lok-Tite on the axle threads and install the new axle-nut (just needs to be finger tight at this point). This will help hold the unit in place while you line up the three bolt holes and install the bolts.

Since this is a piece that usually does not come off the vehicle until it's time for replacement, I choose to Lok-Tite the three mounting bolts and then torque them down.

FinishedHubAssembly.jpg

Tada! Pretty easy, wasn't it?

14. Connect ABS Sensor to connector. The DynaPak hub assembly comes with new retaining clips to hold the wire to the frame. This was a very nice feature of the unit. Simply pop out the old crappy clips and pop the new ones in.

15. Reinstall dust shield, rotor and caliper assembly. DON'T FORGET TO TORQUE THE CALIPER BOLTS DOWN TIGHT!!! These have a very bad habit of falling off on people.

16. Reinstall wheel and lug nuts (don't forget to anti-seize the lugs!) and lower the vehicle.

17. Perform final torquing of the lug nuts and axle nut (250ft/lbs).

That's it. You're done! No more God-awful rubbing noises announcing your presence wherever you go.

Jeremy
'97 Eddie Bauer 4.0L SOHC

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :cool:

:D
Thank you. I've gotten a lot of help from this site since I bought my first Explorer last year so I thought I'd try and give something back with a few How-To's.

Jeremy

My first post and I must admit this is pretty thorough. I will be ordering both from hubs this week and will install next weekend. I have seen some post here that directed you on doing this, but nothing like this. Thanks again!

Jeremy,
Great thread! This is definately going into the Useful Threads Forum.

ncc said:
:D
Thank you. I've gotten a lot of help from this site since I bought my first Explorer last year so I thought I'd try and give something back with a few How-To's.

Jeremy

I appreciate that. I'll set you up with 3 months worth of Elite Explorer status for your efforts :thumbsup:

Hey Rick, that's really nice of you, thanks!

Jeremy

Thanks man, this guide will come in handy when I go to do this job in the near future. Well written! :thumbsup:

I'm having trouble getting the assembly off that holds the calipers. I have them off, and the pads, but the bracket that holds the actual calipers has 4 bolts on the backside attaching it to the wheel assembly. I have a 95' XLT and the bolts are just un-movable. I have sprayed bolt loosener on them and have tried heating them but I can't get them off. I have a stud that I need to replace and it seems that the only way is by taking off this bracket so I can get the rotor off since it seems the rotor needs to come off (the hub is attached to it) in order to get at the studs. Does this make sense? Anybody know how to get these bolts off, or if they are reverse threaded or something, or if I'm doing the whole job wrong and there's a different/better way of doing it.

Thanks,
Greg

Excellent - I have just done this job following these instructions. The only thing I found was that to undo the 3 nuts holding the hub on I had to use a 15mm spanner as my socket wouldnt fit due to the axle housing. Plus I used a 24" breaker bar and the hub nut came off easily. The hardest nuts to undo were the hub nuts on the steering assembly.

Once again - Thanks

Awesome Write up you just saved me $900!!!!!!!!!

Excellent post! Wish I had found this a year ago to save my broke butt money. Excellent Web Site also.

:( I wish I would've read this thread 24hrs ago, I just signed the paper to pay my mechanic $500 to do this 01 Limited. They said the part alone was $345 I assumed that becuase there was a drive shaft in there that repalcing the bearing would be a big deal...AAAaarrrh. this makes me agry:mad:

I look forward to spending more time on this site before I take my explorer in next time.

keep up the good work

When I did mine, I bought the bearing assembly from Pep Boys with Lifetime warranty. The bearing assembly was made by Timken the same company that Ford uses. Maybe a good idea to spend a few extra bucks for peace of mine....

Well, I finally got around to doing my right side tonight, this is a great write-up.

Took me about 2 hours, not in a rush. I must admit, either my torque wrench is off, or I'm stronger than I think, 215 Lb/ft didn't seem to be as much effort as I expected. I didn't even need a cheater on my 3' breaker to get the other one off.

Just to add a bit of help to those who might try this, the nut you should replace is Ford part # N808985-S100 (Nut and washer) Cost me $16 with tax (ouch).

I looked at the online places, they were all back ordered, of Autozone, O'Riely's, Advance, nobody had it listed, or they would give me the wrong one.

Also I used the Timken hub from Autozone, #242591 $154, best price I've seen for these hubs.

To those that have done this, is it me, or does that nut seem a little smaller than 32mm? My socket seemed loose, on both the one I took off, and the new one.

Anyways, I'm bummed, I think I have to do the left too, my front end growling got quieter, but not quiet enough.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes id also like to know if its the same for a 2001 sport. I think it might be a one piece hub with the brake disc also though????

Back