Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Got a P0153 code...what's my next step?

Old 01-14-2007, 05:30 PM   #1
kloadman97
Columbus, O.

1997 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Roll Got a P0153 code...what's my next step?

My check engine light came on yesterday and upon hooking up to the computer it showed me a P0153 code...or perhaps more to the point:

P0153 O2 Sensor Circuit Slow Response (Bank 2 Sensor 1)

Does anyone have some experience with this one? Seems that everything I am finding on the net thus far reads like your daily astrology instructions...you might not notice symptoms...it could be A, B, C, or D.

I reset the computer and the check engine light never came back on, but should I really look to be replacing the O2 sensor or the MAF sensor...or perhaps something else? I just topped 130,000 miles in the last week, so I want to be sure I'm taking the best possible care of it, not having something I could fix in 5 minutes out in the street tomorrow afternoon leading to it croaking on me on the way to work in traffic some morning.
kloadman97 is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 01-14-2007, 06:06 PM   #2
dynamite196
Glastonbury, Connecticut
97 Sport

Vehicle Specs

You can drive around with that code and nothing serious will happen. If you're like me and the light makes you want to beat your dash with a sledge then you gotta get a little greasy :P When was the last time you did a tune up? I'm guessing it's time since you're at the 130k mark, while you're doing that clean out the maf and you'll probably be okay. It's rare that the oxygen sensors actually go bad. What happens is, the computer gets a reading at the sensor that is out of spec so it triggers the code. The code will tell you where the reading is and maybe a little bit of limited info along with it however usually the problem is somewhere else along the line.
dynamite196 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2007, 12:38 AM   #3
radbear
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
1999 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

My 99 Sport posted tho O2 code also. My engine light is currently on. I changed out my plugs except the last two on the passenger side because it's past midnight and I give up. I figure that I should do the o2 sensors while I'm at it. How hard are they to remove and replace?
radbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 01:35 AM   #4
AK96XLT302wreckd
Anch, AK
96 XLT 5.0 AWD

Vehicle Specs

Check other forums

There is an awesome forum for the o2 sensor locations, one is visible from the drivers side under running board to get idea of what you looking for. The other three were a pain for me but used the 02 open slot tool and two 3 inch extenders with pivot. I had to put the 3/8 socket over the front right bank 1 and climbed underneath to actually reach around the exhaust and torque it from there with a regular 3/8 ratchet, not enough room at that angle from above unless you have a longer extension.

I have 96 5.0 302 here's links for that type.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=252653
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=209770
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...d.php?t=222998

good luck, buy the open slotted o2 socket.
AK96XLT302wreckd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 04:05 AM   #5
dcdyd
Eden Prairie, MN
98 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I had P0153 for my 98 EB for about two years. Nothing happened. Last month I replaced the sensor and the light never came back. Many people say that with bad O2 sensor the fuel efficiency could be bad. I don't think that my fuel efficiency went up after changing it. The reason I finally replaced it is because I worried about other codes in addition to O2 sensor.

Changing it was simple. Just using normal wrench if you can loose it. It may be stuck because of 13 years. Using anti-seize lub for the new sensor.
dcdyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 AM   #6
storlied
Anchorage, Alaska
98 5.0L V8 AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
...I had this code when my cat got clogged, later came major power loss. Maybe check those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joel903 View Post
These freaken explorers! Everything breaks
Ford: Fixed Or Repaired Daily. But still going, kicking and screaming all the way. =D Yeaaah.
storlied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 01:47 AM   #7
awrusso
Monterey
1998 Ford Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdyd View Post
I had P0153 for my 98 EB for about two years. Nothing happened. Last month I replaced the sensor and the light never came back. Many people say that with bad O2 sensor the fuel efficiency could be bad. I don't think that my fuel efficiency went up after changing it. The reason I finally replaced it is because I worried about other codes in addition to O2 sensor.

Changing it was simple. Just using normal wrench if you can loose it. It may be stuck because of 13 years. Using anti-seize lub for the new sensor.
Hi DCDYD,

I have the exact same problem and want to change the sensor as well. Where did you find the spare part? Do you by any chance have the part number?

Thanks from a Danish Explorer Enthusiast
awrusso is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page