Transmission went in neural while driving it. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Reaction score
City, State
Cypress , Fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 explorer sport trac
2002 ford explorer sport trac.I just got only drove 2 days out month. It shifted great next min wail driving down the road the truck shifted it self in neural while driving it. Then i had no gears couldn't start it up in park had used neutral to start it. And now it dont do nothing I dont hear the started trying. I try start it with the headlights on they dont dim. I replaced the safety neutral switch and still nothing brand new battery. I really like this truck the guy sold me it said he had no problems with it. I only drove it maybe 30 miles and can't fix it had it a months. The guy know he sold me a bad truck how can some one live with there self doing that to someone would do anything in world to help people. Please help me

20210101_175253.jpg

20210101_182339.jpg

20210101_115741_001.jpg

20201220_183900.jpg

20201220_183839.jpg

20201220_183900.jpg

20201220_183915.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum! I’m having a hard time understanding your description of what’s happening. Did the vehicle quit moving when you say it went in neutral while driving or the engine quit and won’t restart? Did you replace safety switch with new one? Is shifter cable adjusted correctly?
Brad

Welcome to the forum! I’m having a hard time understanding your description of what’s happening. Did the vehicle quit moving when you say it went in neutral while driving or the engine quit and won’t restart? Did you replace safety switch with new one? Is shifter cable adjusted correctly?
Brad
The truck never shout off when it done that. I did replace the safety neutral switch. And the cable line there is a plastic nut on it that looks to me broke the big bolt it is plastic to it was away from where it should be . My gear shifter is very lose I dont have 1st gear on there it dont move down to it. Even if you try to focused it to.

If your shifter is loose the big torx bolts that hold the assembly in are probably loose. Did you find a gold bolt on the floor at any time? Sometimes they fall right out.

I’d guess it’s worse. That transmission isn’t going to find its way back out.

My daughter's 2010 Ranger did that same thing, but it did not shift into neutral, the transmission blew and wouldn't move because the gears were slipping. Needed a total rebuild. Also happened to several Crown Victoria's I have driven of you vehicle's year and they also needed a rebuild. It happened suddenly with no prior warning with my daughter's Ranger.

If your shifter is loose the big torx bolts that hold the assembly in are probably loose. Did you find a gold bolt on the floor at any time? Sometimes they fall right out.
No they was little loose. I titen them up all ready I had to replace the bushing in the steering colony cause the gear shifter was very lose I had to hold it up to start my truck since I replaced them it's lot better but still needs be titer.

Brad
Yes i was driving it when it went in neural the truck shifted it self in neural while driving it before that happened it was shifting good like it supposed. I change the safety neutral switch all ready and still no gears. I got the truck to start after i hook up a switch from the starter So when I turn the key on I can try to start. After coulpe times starting it that way the truck starts up in park like it is supposed to be doing. My gear shifter was very loose I replaced the bushing on that . It could be titer. It's alot better now then what it was. Still some play in it . But I have no gears . HOW do fix this.? Before all this happened the truck shifted great like normal. Now I have nothing no gears at all. Please help me.

Yes i was driving it when it went in neural the truck shifted it self in neural while driving it before that happened it was shifting good like it supposed. I change the safety neutral switch all ready and still no gears. I got the truck to start after i hook up a switch from the starter So when I turn the key on I can try to start. After coulpe times starting it that way the truck starts up in park like it is supposed to be doing. My gear shifter was very loose I replaced the bushing on that . It could be titer. It's alot better now then what it was. Still some play in it . But I have no gears . HOW do fix this.? Before all this happened the truck shifted great like normal. Now I have nothing no gears at all. Please help me.
How do i do the shifter cable adjusted it.

L
My daughter's 2010 Ranger did that same thing, but it did not shift into neutral, the transmission blew and wouldn't move because the gears were slipping. Needed a total rebuild. Also happened to several Crown Victoria's I have driven of you vehicle's year and they also needed a rebuild. It happened suddenly with no prior warning with my daughter's Ranger.
Mine was shifting good like it supposed
Brad
My truck never shout off on me. It kick it self in neural while driving it down the road. Transmission is supposed be new. I replaced the safety neutral switch all ready and still no gears. It wouldn't start till I hook up a switch from the starter So when I turn the key on I can try to start it. After coulpe times starting it that way the truck starts up in park. But I have no gears. I replaced the bushing in the steering colony cause the gear shifter was very loose I replaced the bushing on that. I titen up the 2 bolts under the dash all so. Please help me

How do you know it actually went into neutral? Did the indicator go to "N"? If not and it feels like neutral, it might be the gears slipping and the transmission needs a rebuild. Like I posted earlier, when my daughter's Ranger trans went there was no warning. She called me and said the engine revs up but the truck won't move like it was in neutral.

How do you know it actually went into neutral? Did the indicator go to "N"? If not and it feels like neutral, it might be the gears slipping and the transmission needs a rebuild. Like I posted earlier, when my daughter's Ranger trans went there was no warning. She called me and said the engine revs up but the truck won't move like it was in neutral.
It shifted great like normal for me had no problems till it went in neural while driving it. The transmission is supposed to new on there.

It’s probably not actually going into neutral. You have an internal transmission issue. Your “new” transmission probably got a shoddy, or incomplete rebuild. Find out who rebuilt it, and take it back.

It’s probably not actually going into neutral. You have an internal transmission issue. Your “new” transmission probably got a shoddy, or incomplete rebuild. Find out who rebuilt it, and take it back.
I cant take it back it came with the truck when i brought it.

Find a new shop and get a new rebuild. It’s probably your only option.

I never buy anything with a “new” or “rebuilt” motor or transmission. People fixing cars to sell only care about the lowest cost, and that never leads to longevity.

Back