Ranger to Explorer Front end swap project | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ranger to Explorer Front end swap project

Ive been watning to do the explorer swap on my ranger even before i started building my ranger a few years ago, im not sure why i never did it but this week I covinced myself that if i want it done i jsut got to do it.. so i fiqured why not make a thread on the swap cause im sure some people would be interested in seeing it done. Keep in mind the truck has probably only been painted this way for less that four months now:eek:

Started with a a realtively stock ranger front end, diamond corners and headlights and a billet grill, only bolt on mods but nothing really too labor intensive
n026.jpg

Yesterday went to the junkyard and started getting parts i would need to do this swap, since that would be the cheapest way to get the parts and also give me a oem apperence over buying the not so perfect :thumbdwn: aftermarket parts

picked up a passenger fender form a 99 4 door and a driver fender from 00 sport for $75 for the pair. Both had pretty good damage but it wasnt important becasue the very front of the fenders were stragiht and that would be all i was using anyway
2007_0218misc0074.jpg

The hardest thing to find was a non dammaged header panel from a 2nd gen explorer. i found many 1st gen front ends and even a couple mountaineer front ends in both styles but only came by one undamgaged header panel from a 01 4 door and it still had a set of good condition headlights so i bought those too. The header panel and headlights came to be $78 i had the grill in my basement that i bought along a time ago when i first wanted to do this swap i think that was $5 at a swap meet
2007_0218misc0075.jpg

that would be enough for now to do the hard part of the swap and get everything lined up right and looking good.

So today i started the actual swap first thing was diasembling the ranger, removing the header panel, lights, and bumper
2007_0218misc0073.jpg

2007_0218misc0076.jpg

now that everything was stripped i cut off just the very front of the ranger fenders where the header panel mounts, and the very front of the explorer fender about 2 inches or so back into the fender. making sure not to take to much out of the fender rangers fender or not leave enough on the explorer fenders. i left the explorer fenders alone for the most part and kept trimming back the ranger fenders until the tips of the explorer fenders met with the very tip of the ranger fender and the lower line of the fenders where they meet the bumper are even..mkaing sure the whole time not to cut our more of the ranger fender then i had explorer fender to fill the hole

trimmed ranger fender with explorer fender overlaped over it to position properly before final cutting could be done. i temporarily held the pieces on wiht a clamp and a screw up top which you can make out in the one pic...the hole form the screw will jsut be welded up in the explorer fender but will be cut out of the ranger fender inthe next step

2007_0218misc0079.jpg

one of our dogs was a lil to interested in the project:confused:
2007_0218misc0078.jpg

with the fender peices clamped and screwed together i could maunt to the header panel temporarily to check for fit and it bolted right up and aligned fine, with the lower front fender bolts out to allow some play in the front of the fender
2007_0218misc0080.jpg

everything fit with the header panel well so i closed the hood and ran into the first problem i had:mad:. the hood fit fine as far as bottom of hood to top of header gap, but the curve on the ranger hood is much flatter then the curve of the explorer header panel. sorry i was busy trying to fiqure out what to do and forgot to take pics:banghead:. but then i looked over at my 97 explorer and fiqured id take some measurements....turns out the ranger and explorer hoods are the same width and the same length at the fenders so they fit the same hole. so i took the hood off my explorer and sat it on the ranger and it fit fine and lined up perfect with the grille curve. the only problem was that the hinge bolts are in deffernt places but i will address that later when i get a used explorer hood since my daily needs a hood and i cant use that one:D

only other problem i ran into is that the mounting brackets for the header panel on the core support are simmilar but not exactly the same as the ranger ones so i will either modify mine to work or get explorer brackets and modify them to mount to the core support
2007_0218misc0081.jpg

with that said i removed the fenders formt he truck and got ready for the next step of mating the explorer fenders seamlessly to the ranger fenders.
i left the pieces i cut form the explorer fenders on the ranger fenders and basically grabbed a sharpie and traced those onto the ranger fenders and then cut out the excess ranger fender..ther wasnt much to it....all the contours form both fenders match up pretty well and should be a breeze to body work

i ground everything down and got ready to weld and had no welding gas so you all will have to wait a few days for the rest...

both fenders cut ready to weld
2007_0218misc0082.jpg

dont be afraid to ask any ?? you may have i know this post lacks in some areas but it should give a good idea about this process and ill have more pics and progress in a few days when i can get back to it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

very ambitious, hope it turns out well, seems to be going pretty good so far! btw, is that a fuji f10? i recognize the little strap hanging in front of one of those pics :D

interesting question-lol im not really sure what it is, but now that i just looked im highly impressed you knew i had a fuji from a pic of the blurry strap-lol

Very cool project. Looks like it'll turn out well! Good luck :thumbsup:

-Drew

I too am looking forward to the rest of this write up.

Is your Ranger half red and half white ?

What part of Baltimore do you spend time ?

See I have always wanted to do the opposite swap. Put a ranger nose on my explorer:confused:

thanx for all the positve compliments guys...good motivation to keep goin even quicker then i had planned-lol

As for putting a 5.0 in the ranger ive debated over doing it and acutally have a complete HO motor from a lincoln mk8 and another complete motor and aod trans from a cougar but my 2.3 runs too well for me to pull it and i think the 302s are gonna be saved to for a body dropped explorer that might be built down the road

and the truck is actually a three tone all based on the king ranch theme...which incidentelly is the entire theme of the truck interior and exterior
but its half dark copper half white...over arizona beige at the body line...divided by a gunmetal stripe with a sligthly brighter gold pinstriping.

And MONMIX im in the parkville/carney area of baltimore just east or maybe south east? of towson

but any way i did a lil work done on the rang today enough to keep pregress along

i got both fenders welded up
DSCF0391.jpg

DSCF0388.jpg

and got the passenger fender done with filler and topcoat and is now ready for primer
DSCF0389.jpg

DSCF0390.jpg

hopefully tommorow i can get the driver fender to the state and get some primer and paint on this stuff shorty

Ohh and STIC-O i kinda had the same idea since i didn't feel like buying parts at one point-lol i did just want to swap the front off this ranger on to my ex and vice versa but realized i was tired of that front end anyways and ill just leave my expo the way it is

this is a horrible picture and im not sure why its the only picture i have of my ex but this is pretty much what im going for with the ranger except it will have the 2001 painted xlt bumper
DSCF0392.jpg

looks like that fender has been painted more than a few times.

I work down in Crofton, but spend most of my time in Annapolis. I'll keep my eyes pealed for your Rangplorer ( Exranger ? ) when I am up that way this summer

you think that fenders been painted alot you should see the drivers one-lol....but this is the last paint job this trucks getting i know its getting a lil thicker then i would like but it will be ok.....and yeah i havent decided what to call it yet..i think ill stick with ranger-lol

I had thought about the same type of mod on my 94 ranger but using a mountaineer front end. ( mountainranger) Keep us informed on the progress

Tim

well i got the grill, header panel, and fenders painted last night but didnt take any picture today...but those things are going on the truck tommorow and i will take a bunch of pics and post them up since there really any wasnt anyhting too technical about this part....we'll just call it painted.

here the pics of the primed fenders from weds night
DSCF0394.jpg

DSCF0393.jpg

all the body wrok out real nice and i got a chance to paint everything on thursday night so it would be ready to reassemble today

today i got the fenders mounted....header panel mounted...core support modified to clear the head light harness. and grill mounted...i think i did pretty good in a week:D

fender painted and mounted back up
DSCF0395.jpg

this is the area of the core support i had to remove to allow clearence of the headlight harness plug...it was about the same amount of area removed from both side of the core support
DSCF0398.jpg

and finally for today the header panel and grill mounted up and fitting very well:D
DSCF0399.jpg

DSCF0400.jpg

im very happy with the way its turning out so far and how everything still looks very oem and fits the truck..ill hopefully be able to get a hood this week or next weekend, and the bumper and corner lights are being worked out with Scruff from the expo he is parting out for his project..so hoepfully wihtin no more then two weeks i'll be able to button this project up. thanks for all the great comments so far and ill def keep the forum posted:cool:

Looks good :thumbsup:

I can't wait to see the finished product...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looks really nice

Back