Transmission Torque converter drain??? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Transmission Torque converter drain???

elester12

Reaction score
City, State
Fairfax, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT
Hey guys. I have just purchased a used ford explorer 2002. I am changing all the fluids including the transmission. I know i have the sealed transmission and have to fill it using that fill port on the bottom.

Does the transmission have a torque converter drain plug? Is it a good idea to remove the pan and change the filter as well? I'm excited to see how the fluid looks after 80,000 miles. I will be more than happy to take pictures and put them on here too!
Thanks all

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Thanks! I've heard some people say that there is a fill plug on the side of the sealed transmission... is this true?!

I don't really know- not too familiar with the 3rd gen drivetrain. I'd think there is a plug on there somewhere, but don't know there.

I'd suggest you search some different keywords on here, you will probably find your answer. In the meantime, maybe someone else will jump in here.

The 5R55W has a fill plug on the side of the case located at the back on the passenger side. It also has a torque convertor drain plug.

The 5R55E has neither.

Glacier991, where is that torque converter drain located?! I can't find it! Thanks! --also after draining the torque convertor, how much fluid am I looking to put back in? 18 quarts I've read?

more like 8 quarts with a pan drop.
If your converter has a drain there should be a rubber plug directly under the converter, then you turn the crankshaft over by hand or bump the starter, until the drain comes into view

Is your 02 a V6 or V8?

Great, thanks. Anyone have any pictures of this torque converter rubber plug?

If you have a 5R55W at the bottom of the bellhousing there will be a black rubber plug about the size of a silver dollar. If you have a 5R55E there won't be one.

thanks guys! i got the job done except i'm not sure about what temp. the transmission is at when I check the fluid. I know some people on here have put transmission temp. guages but I'm not hauling anything to need it. Which scan tool do people use to get the transmission temp? I want to be sure the fluid is at the right temp..

and off subject. does anyone know what size that plug is on the read diff drain? Its huge!

Welcome to this forum! Check the above sticky threads, such as the 5R55W fluid fill, and installing a transmission temperature gauge. They should answer all of your questions. Both have excellent illustrations.

Back