Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials

Notices

Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases, & Differentials Transmissions, Transfer Cases. A4LD, 4R70W, 4R44E, 4R55E, 5R44E, 5R55E, M5OD, BW 1354, Control Trac, GEM, AWD. Ford 8.8", Dana 35

The Borg Warner 4405 Transfer Case Rebuild Diary

Old 04-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #21
thetoolman
Birmingham alabama
97 limited 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile tc case parts

thank you for your help I will be doing bussiness with them soon
again thank you for the thread on how to rebuild the tc4405 its has been a great help to me as well as to others i'm sure
I have a back ground in automatic transmission repair but only to 1988
as I went to work on coal mine equipment
if there is ever anything I can help you with feel free to e-mail me
jetaylor@charter.net

Old 04-24-2008, 01:06 AM   #22
AMMO_HOOAH
Spokane, Wa

1996 Ex V8, AWD XLT

Vehicle Specs

This an a fantastic writeup now I don't feel so skiddish about rebuilding my 4406 when I do the engine swap. Also I'm 10 minutes from Spokane, so parts runs should be easy lol.

Next......gears (4.56), lockers (Aussie), coilovers..... Aw heck SAS it! 79 F-150 axles in the barn
AMMO_HOOAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 01:52 PM   #23
howieallentown
Ephrata, PA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

This is a fantastic diary!!! My compliments!

Someone told me that if the chain is a bit loose and everything else is OK, that there is some kind of adjustable "bridge" (I don't know what else to call it) which when adjusted wil tighten the chain. So I'm told, the bridge is part of the race that the chain moves on. Is this true?

My problem is a "clanging" sound, especially when I shift into reverse. Obviously, something is a bit loose, but I can't tell if it is the transfer case, transmission, or one of the driveshafts that makes the noise. The noise sounds a bit like a hammer on a drum brake drum. Any thoughts?
howieallentown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 05:18 PM   #24
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
There is no chain tensioner in the TC. A slack chain requires replacement.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2008, 09:52 AM   #25
joecrna
Las Flores, CA
98 XLT 4X4 sohc

Vehicle Specs

Does this sound occur only when in 4x4? Otherwise the chain is not loaded, but it will still turn as the front axle turns. If the noise occurs when shifting to reverse while holding the vehicle still with the break while in Auto (the T-case that is), this points to something like rear universal joints.

Custom skid plates, recovery shackles
Defender rack, Warn transformer mount
and winch
joecrna is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #26
howieallentown
Ephrata, PA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

I think you are right on! I had the t-case replaced about a year ago and I can't believe that even a used t-case has gone bad this quickly. TYrue, anything is possible, but I would say that the chances are fairly slim.

Thanks!
Old 07-11-2008, 11:35 PM   #27
travelinman1962
washington, kirkland
96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Unhappy 4405 rebuild diary question.

Thanks for the rebuild diary. It has helped a lot. I am down to the planetary gear and have been having a lot of problems trying to get the snap ring under the planetary gear to release. From the picture you show of the snap ring on the bearing it does not look like it holds the planetary gear to the case. Do you still have to press the input shaft/planetary gear out of the bearing ? I cant see how taking the snap ring off of the bearing is going to release the sun gear. Did i miss something? Please help.
travelinman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 01:00 AM   #28
KPT
NC
'95 XL 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelinman1962 View Post
Thanks for the rebuild diary. It has helped a lot. I am down to the planetary gear and have been having a lot of problems trying to get the snap ring under the planetary gear to release. From the picture you show of the snap ring on the bearing it does not look like it holds the planetary gear to the case. Do you still have to press the input shaft/planetary gear out of the bearing ? I cant see how taking the snap ring off of the bearing is going to release the sun gear. Did i miss something? Please help.
That snap ring can be a pain. It does not hold the bearing in. I used two flat head screwdrivers to pry the snap ring open while pushing the input shaft jank down on a table. You are not opening the snap ring enough, it'll pop out easily when you do.
KPT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 AM   #29
travelinman1962
washington, kirkland
96 xlt

Vehicle Specs

Smile Snap ring under planetary gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by JL 3x12 Xplorer View Post
That snap ring can be a pain. It does not hold the bearing in. I used two flat head screwdrivers to pry the snap ring open while pushing the input shaft jank down on a table. You are not opening the snap ring enough, it'll pop out easily when you do.
Well, after an hour of prying the snap ring apart i finally got the planetary gear to come out (yay), and now i understand how the snap ring retains the bearing under the planetary gear to the case. Man what a hassle but now i am starting to put the case back together again after replacing all the bearings. You were right, i wasn't prying the snap ring apart enough and even when you do it still may be a bitch. I found a small pair of surgical clamps helped tremendously as there really isnt much room to get a couple of screwdrivers into that space. Also if you cant find a large enough socket to drive the new bearing onto the shaft, a piece of exhaust pipe that is the same diameter of the inner race of the bearing works perfectly. I really appreciate the rebuild diary as i don't think i would have had the nerve to try this. Thanks.
travelinman1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 01:52 AM   #30
Marlacoba
2000 Sport 4x4

Vehicle Specs

4405 front seal replacement

Can the 4405 with cupped flange be split with the front output shaft facing up? Looking for the easiest way to replace the front seal.
Marlacoba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2008, 02:34 AM   #31
IZwack
Moderator Emeritus
Germantown, MD

1998 Ford Explorer

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlacoba View Post
Can the 4405 with cupped flange be split with the front output shaft facing up? Looking for the easiest way to replace the front seal.
Yes, just be sure you lift one half perfectly straight from the other half -- or else you run the risk of breaking the shift rail's tiny pin

Old 08-15-2008, 02:44 AM   #32
Glacier991
EF Tranny Guru
Sacramento, CA 95827
1992 XLT

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thanks IZWACK. And I will throw in my 2 cents... that snap ring is a HUGE PITA and requires patience, ingenuity and a willingness to open it WAY farther than you think ought to be necessary.

I'm glad this Diary has been helpful.
Glacier991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 07:18 AM   #33
mustang3024
Awaiting Confirmation
Brownfield, ME
2001 Explorer XLS

Vehicle Specs

front shaft seal 4405-15

Thanks Glacier991 for the great post. What a great job you have done. I have a leaking front seal on my 4405-15 (2001 Explorer) and have removed the unit from the vehicle last night. As far as I can tell from your post, I need to lift the cover off very carefully and squarely so as not to break the shaft rail pin. It seems that I only need to tear the unit down to the point of chain removal and I should be able to remove the front shaft to replace the seal? Hopefully the bearing is good or maybe it is whats causing the seal to fail? Is there a sealant you recommend when closing the case? I was just wondering if you or anyone else has any insight on these issues. Thanks again
mustang3024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2008, 07:54 AM   #34
mustang3024
Awaiting Confirmation
Brownfield, ME
2001 Explorer XLS

Vehicle Specs

Rear output shaft seal

I was able to split the case and remove the parts enough to replace the seal. The front bearing was very gritty feeling and seemed to have a bad spot in it so I replaced it as well. I reassembled the whole thing and also replace the rear ouput shaft seal for good measure. The issue I have is that after driving it for a day I heard a little squeeking at slow speeds. It sounded like the noise was going with the rotation of the drive shaft. I jacked up the vehicle noticed that while turning the rear shaft, I could hear the seal making a squeeking noise as if it were dry. So I took off the rear shaft and pulled the seal. It looked like it has melted slightly on the contact surface and it was dry. I replaced the seal and lubed it liberally with some mercon. Seemed to go in nicely and there is no squeek as of yet. I bought a seal kit from TB Trans and all the seals seemed to be the same size that came with the kit. Any ideas as to why this new seal would go?
mustang3024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2008, 01:13 PM   #35
Gaylen
San Antonio, Tx
'93 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Is tear down for this case basically the same for the 13-54?
My drive gear for the VSS spins freely. Can this be fixed without splitting the case?
Gaylen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 05:30 PM   #36
Lester H
Holbrook, New York
2000 XLT 5.0 AWD auto

Vehicle Specs

Auto AWD 2000 explorer 5.0

I don't hace an electric motor to shift into 4h or4L. Now with a new GEM installed don't get any lights on in the instrument cluster and no 4WD. What can I check next?
Lester H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 08:59 PM   #37
Turdle
Moderator Masterbaker
Humboldt, Kansas

2000 Mounty

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester H View Post
I don't hace an electric motor to shift into 4h or4L. Now with a new GEM installed don't get any lights on in the instrument cluster and no 4WD. What can I check next?
You will get no lights-
the v8 awd is a full time awd system, using a BW 4404 transfer case

The dash lights are not used.

If you want true 4x4-there is a way

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/...highlight=4406
Turdle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 04:53 PM   #38
statum123
Tn
97 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Excellent post Glacier. I'm in the process of rebuilding my 4405, What is the proper way to align,calibrate the electric shift motor. I see that the back of it can be rotated. I assume this is the limit switches. thanks
statum123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 08:12 AM   #39
howieallentown
Ephrata, PA
2002 XLS

Vehicle Specs

No 4 X 4

My 2002 Explorer (automatic tranny) does not shift into 4 X 4. The dash light does not light up. I do not have 4 X 4 (rear wheel drive still OK). I think it may be the Electronic Shift Control Module and/or the mode select switch and/or the Electronic Shift motor.

Is there a thread on this site that has some pictures of these items as my Chilton repair book is a bit vague as to how to replace each or all of the items I noted above.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 12-27-2008, 07:43 AM   #40
little x
SW VA
'91 XL

Vehicle Specs

I'm trying to figure out a good method for removing these type of snap rings. Why can't they have holes in them so that snap ring pliers could be used? I've been prying at it for quite a while and haven't come anywhere near close to getting it off. What's the secret?

Well, I just got it off. 2 hours messing with it got me no where. But it only took about 5 minutes once I had an extra set of hands from a willing friend.

Last edited by little x; 12-27-2008 at 04:20 PM.
little x is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page