Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

Bad Fan Clutch?

Old 06-26-2007, 10:42 AM   #1
So Sick
Roanoke, VA
98 2dr-99 TransAm-90 5.0

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Bad Fan Clutch?

I been getting terrible gas mileage and someone told me my fan clutch was bad because the fan is staying on all the time. Anyone got instructions on changing this thing so i dont have to pay $200 at a shop? Please help!
Thanks alot!!!

1998 White 2dr. 4.0 ohv
1999 Heavily Modified Navy Blue Metallic LS1 Trans Am
1990 Heavily Modified Maroon Metallic 306 Mustang Hatch
2005 Scion TC
So Sick is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 06-26-2007, 11:08 AM   #2
Willard
Elite tree-smasher
Bloomington, Indiana

04 Ranger Edge

Vehicle Specs

usually a bad fan clutch would stay off all the time, thus not allowing proper cooling to take place. mine went bad, and thats what happened. i had overheating problems when i wasn't moving. now, if it is staying on, you could probably hear it all the time and it would be running abnormally cool. if you do have to change it, go to autozone and rent out a fan clutch wrench set. this makes it much easier to get off.

'04 Ranger Edge DD "Black Knight"

You want to see my face?

Willard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 11:18 AM   #3
So Sick
Roanoke, VA
98 2dr-99 TransAm-90 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thats just what a guy at a rinky dink shop told me it was. I tried to get my doorlock fixed there and i asked him to take a look. Ive never had a fan clutch go bad in anything i dont guess. Could it cause the fan to run nonstop or is it something else causing it to??

1998 White 2dr. 4.0 ohv
2005 Scion TC
Old 06-26-2007, 12:27 PM   #4
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

grab the fan (when your engine is not on of course) and spin it. If it spins, then it isn't your fan... at least it is not always "running". Related to the "keen" observations by your "service guy", as was mentioned, what does your temp gauge say.... cooler than normal? I wouldn't think that your fan "always on" isn't going to cause a "noticable difference" in gas mileage.... especially "terrible". You are likely looking at some else more "sinister"... when was your last tune up?
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #5
So Sick
Roanoke, VA
98 2dr-99 TransAm-90 5.0

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
once i get off work ill check the fan and temp gauge and post back later this afternoon. he said if the fan is constantly on that it would cause parasitic loss thus causing worse mileage. ive only had the vehicle like 1000mi and it has 86k on it so i figure it hasnt been tuned up. The plug wires look like a p.i.t.a. to replace. i need to do the plugs atleast, what kind of plugs and what gap are good for the 4.0 ohv? Im not even getting 12mpg city with the AC on low driving like a granny lol. I cleaned all my induction sensors, changed the fuel filter, and made sure i had 35psi in the tires so im hoping that might help a little on the gas mileage.

1998 White 2dr. 4.0 ohv
2005 Scion TC
Old 06-26-2007, 01:12 PM   #6
budwich
Ottawa, Ont
96 XL

Vehicle Specs

Well, I would say "welcome to Ford's Ex gas mileage efficiency"... :-).... :-( It isn't noted to be very good and I would say your city mileage is "average" to slightly below. I would drop in some new plugs as it is likely that they haven't been done. They are "doable".... back ones are reached thru the fender areas by removing the wheels and skirts.
budwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 12:55 AM   #7
hunterdan
Fairless Hills, Pa
2010 Chevy Silverado

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
To check the fan clutch, first with a cool motor, the fan should spin relatively freely, some resistance, but should spin, when the motor and radiator are hot, turn the vehicle off and the fan should be harder to turn than when it was cold. If your fan does not turn by hand when cold, and if it turns by hand when hot, there is a problem with the clutch. I have not seen many of these fail, but it does happen. It was about 95 with high humidity here in Central PA, my truck was a dog in stop and go traffic, A/C was on full blast, and fan was constantly engaged. I found this website that gives a pretty good explanation of a fan clutch, how it works and failure signs http://www.haydenauto.com/installati...tutorial-1.htm

HTH
Dan

Gone: 1998 Ford Explorer Sport, lifted with all the cool stuff
hunterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2007, 07:28 AM   #8
gijoecam
Village Idiot
Trenton, MI
98 ExSport, '00 F-150

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Ummm, 12 in the city with temps in the 90s and with the AC running constantly should result in no more than 12 mpg and a fan that's engaged at all times. Sounds like normal operating conditions to me.

To check the fan clutch (a rudimentary check), with the engine OFF and COOL, spin the fan. It should move with a little resistance, but should not be tight. Now, start it up, get it hot in the heat of the day, and repeat the check. It should be stiff. A thermostatic fan clutch will turn the fan ALL the time, but it'll allow less slippage when it's hot than it will when it's cool. It'll be running all the time.

-Joe

"We need to allow Darwinism take it's course and let the idiots weed themselves out of existance." ~ Rick Horwitz
We must believe in free will we have no choice.
~ Isaac Bashevis Singer
I'm not smart, just a resourceful idiot. ~ Me
gijoecam is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page