• Register Today It's free!

Bad Fan Clutch?

So Sick

Reaction score
City, State
Roanoke, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
98 2dr-99 TransAm-90 5.0
I been getting terrible gas mileage and someone told me my fan clutch was bad because the fan is staying on all the time. Anyone got instructions on changing this thing so i dont have to pay $200 at a shop? Please help!
Thanks alot!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

usually a bad fan clutch would stay off all the time, thus not allowing proper cooling to take place. mine went bad, and thats what happened. i had overheating problems when i wasn't moving. now, if it is staying on, you could probably hear it all the time and it would be running abnormally cool. if you do have to change it, go to autozone and rent out a fan clutch wrench set. this makes it much easier to get off.

Thats just what a guy at a rinky dink shop told me it was. I tried to get my doorlock fixed there and i asked him to take a look. Ive never had a fan clutch go bad in anything i dont guess. Could it cause the fan to run nonstop or is it something else causing it to??

grab the fan (when your engine is not on of course) and spin it. If it spins, then it isn't your fan... at least it is not always "running". Related to the "keen" observations by your "service guy", as was mentioned, what does your temp gauge say.... cooler than normal? I wouldn't think that your fan "always on" isn't going to cause a "noticable difference" in gas mileage.... especially "terrible". You are likely looking at some else more "sinister"... when was your last tune up?

once i get off work ill check the fan and temp gauge and post back later this afternoon. he said if the fan is constantly on that it would cause parasitic loss thus causing worse mileage. ive only had the vehicle like 1000mi and it has 86k on it so i figure it hasnt been tuned up. The plug wires look like a p.i.t.a. to replace. i need to do the plugs atleast, what kind of plugs and what gap are good for the 4.0 ohv? Im not even getting 12mpg city with the AC on low driving like a granny lol. I cleaned all my induction sensors, changed the fuel filter, and made sure i had 35psi in the tires so im hoping that might help a little on the gas mileage.

Well, I would say "welcome to Ford's Ex gas mileage efficiency"... :).... :-( It isn't noted to be very good and I would say your city mileage is "average" to slightly below. I would drop in some new plugs as it is likely that they haven't been done. They are "doable".... back ones are reached thru the fender areas by removing the wheels and skirts.

To check the fan clutch, first with a cool motor, the fan should spin relatively freely, some resistance, but should spin, when the motor and radiator are hot, turn the vehicle off and the fan should be harder to turn than when it was cold. If your fan does not turn by hand when cold, and if it turns by hand when hot, there is a problem with the clutch. I have not seen many of these fail, but it does happen. It was about 95 with high humidity here in Central PA, my truck was a dog in stop and go traffic, A/C was on full blast, and fan was constantly engaged. I found this website that gives a pretty good explanation of a fan clutch, how it works and failure signs http://www.haydenauto.com/installation/fan-clutch-tutorial-1.htm

HTH
Dan

Ummm, 12 in the city with temps in the 90s and with the AC running constantly should result in no more than 12 mpg and a fan that's engaged at all times. Sounds like normal operating conditions to me.

To check the fan clutch (a rudimentary check), with the engine OFF and COOL, spin the fan. It should move with a little resistance, but should not be tight. Now, start it up, get it hot in the heat of the day, and repeat the check. It should be stiff. A thermostatic fan clutch will turn the fan ALL the time, but it'll allow less slippage when it's hot than it will when it's cool. It'll be running all the time.

-Joe

Back