Time for an exhaust change... again. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Time for an exhaust change... again.

Blacksheep Josh

Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Reaction score
City, State
Statesboro, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Ford Ranger, RIP 93 X
Well after jtsmith's thread about his exhaust... again. I've decided to go ahead and start figuring mine out.

Just a quick recap... So far what I'm running is 2" tubing from the catalytic converter all the way to the end, with a Flowmaster 40 Series muffler installed.

Overall it sounds great, it's what I want, but at the same time I'd like it to be a bit louder and meaner. So here's what I'm thinking...

I'd like to remove the stock catalytic converters and replace it with a high-flow, most likely a single high-flow unit. From the catalytic converter to the muffler I'd like to use 2.25" piping, and then after the muffler to the end of the tail pipe use 2.5" tubing.

Opinions would be nice. This most likely wouldn't happen until Spring when the refund checks come in, or possible Christmas.

I am looking at a set of Pacesetter Headers, but like I said, this probably won't be finished or done until Spring. But I'd definitely like to have everything figured out.

-Josh

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd do 2.5in piping from the high flow on out. The first cat's inlet is an oval shape so you might can squish the new cat's inlet pipe to fit it. If you dont have to go through inspections you can pound out one of the cats to get some improvements in loudness.

Oh yea and no matter how much you want it to be louder DONT get a glasspack, yea I know there super cheap, they make the v6 sound like crap.

I really enjoy my exhaust. 2 1/2" starting at the y-pipe flange into a single aftermarket cat into a 40 series, then over the frame and out before the rear tire, the last foot is 3", mainly for cosmetic purposes.

Using pacesetter headers (which are a total ***** to install ill let you know..), no catalytic converters, cherry bomb glass pack, followed by a muffler off a chevy 307 at the very end :). Im lovin the sound.

-still passes the etest here

They cant be any harder to install than my headmans, big piece of junk, there always leaking. I'm running no cats with 3in pipe(which if you smash it down will slide right into the y-pipe flange) from the headers back to a cherry bomb pro muffler(not a glasspack) with dual 2 1/4 turndowns. And it sounds awesome. I also mounted the muffler as far back as possible to reduce interior noise.

Perhaps.. i still have to figure out how to bend out the EGR valve port a bit.. for now its capped and im running no egr now.. it tries once in a while out on the test drive but realizes its just not there lol. think im just gonna heat it and bend it.

I used to use the cherry bomb mufflers, definately went through at least one a year lol.. they rust so fast here, but for $40, it wasnt a big deal. Yours must sound pretty mean, and i didnt know you could just smash a 3" pipe to work at the flange :D.. for now im stickin to the gutted cats :p:

What would be the gains of running 2.5" piping the entire way vs. what I thought of? Any? I'm not looking for best possible, but I do plan on building up the 4.0L at some point, and having the exhaust finished by then would make life easier.

Just so you know, I don't have any sort of emissions testing or vehicle inspections where it's registered (yet, knocks on wood), so the idea of just forgoing the cats in general is in the back of my mind. But when I graduate college, I don't' want to move somewhere that does have them and have to start over.

But yeah, question now is what are the gains of running 2.5" the ENTIRE way from the cats back, vs. from the muffler back? I'd like to gain some economy, not lose any. :0)

I doubt you'll see any difference, the souod IMHO is better with the 2 1/2" pipe. I'll let you know right now with no cats it will be loud as hell, my rig used hurt my passengers ears when I wasn't running a cat.

I'm really not sure what the gains vs economy loss would be with going to a bigger pipe would be, I just went by the bigger is better theory:D. But since your engine is primarily stock, going to big might actually cause a loss of economy and low end power, but the question is how big is too big?

Yea I didnt know a 3in pipe would work either but its a perfect fit and I got lucky cuz my 91 isnt equipped with an egr system. I think hollowed cats make the exhaust sound different, I guess the hollow chambers does something to the tone.

FWIW I did not care for the hollow cat on my rig at all, no cat or a good cat sounds way better, if you're going to go catless, might as well remove the whole thing. Here's mine with the old 2.9 with a cat(which sounds identical to the 4.0 except it's a bit louder and the 4.0 is a slightly deeper.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9wPRy-jg-fU&feature=user
Here's an outside video without a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mFgxBSVxT4&feature=related
Inside video without a cat.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYjD6ypQ8uM&feature=related

I doubt you'll see any difference, the souod IMHO is better with the 2 1/2" pipe. I'll let you know right now with no cats it will be loud as hell, my rig used hurt my passengers ears when I wasn't running a cat.

Yea I'll agree, my exhaust with no cats is pretty loud but thats a sacrafice I'm willing to make for sound quality:D. The loudness may also be contributed to the exhaust resonating through that fat 3in pipe. Also he's talking about using a high flow cat.

Yea I'll agree, my exhaust with no cats is pretty loud but thats a sacrafice I'm willing to make for sound quality:D. The loudness may also be contributed to the exhaust resonating through that fat 3in pipe. Also he's talking about using a high flow cat.
He also mentioned.
Just so you know, I don't have any sort of emissions testing or vehicle inspections where it's registered (yet, knocks on wood), so the idea of just forgoing the cats in general is in the back of my mind.

May I suggest a super 44?

I have some videos on YouTube of mine. Look up seth2472006

I beilive the bigger diameter pipe will lower the soul d even more and possiy reduce the drone mine gets onto around 1800rpm.

I'm only running dual 2"pipes at the moment.

Thanks Seth,

I looked at your videos, the Super 44 is just WAY TO LOUD for what I want. I wish I had a video camera accessible so I could get a clip of mine. I love my sound, but I just wish it was louder. Not to the point you always hear it, but just a little bit more aggressive.

Wait... my room mate has a video camera, let me see if I can use it. brb.

great yeah get a vid if you can.

Keep in mind, according to flowmasters site the 44 is not much louder than the super 40.

The difference is the tone, the reason it was over loading my camera is causenthe sound was SO LOW. The trebley cam mic couldn't pick it up clearly.

Buy I fear when I go v8 that it will be too much to handle. Two super 44's attached to a high cammmed 331 may be too obnoxios for even me.

I'm thinkin about the delta 40 muffler. Cause I want
Loud but I want TASTEFULY load. ::eek:xymoron:

I really need to get a video clip of this. Then it'd be really clear what I'm trying to do.

The camera is out in the living room, but it's not mine. Just waiting for him to get home from class to take it.

That's exactly the type of sound I'm looking for, just with a lower overall tone. But I"m thinking Im ay need a v8 engine for that.

Rob, is this setup right? I got it from your Youtube information, Just making sure I have it right. I'd like to keep everything single, meaning I don't' want to run duals yet. But if I need to I will. I kinda like 45' exhaust tips :)

Attachments

• muffler system.jpg
    muffler system.jpg
    18.5 KB · Views: 274

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

that's sounds a lot like mine. Sept mines lower.

Back