Push Button Start

clarkkent

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
san luis obispo, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
McNeil Mountaineer
Anyone have a layout on how to wire up a push button start on a 2000?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yellow wire + red/light blue wire = vrooom :p:

Attachments

• ignite.jpg
    ignite.jpg
    26.6 KB · Views: 1,437

Sweeeet!

Are you having troubles with your ignition switch? most likely you'll still need key for the security

That's my question...what about Mr. PATS?:D Dosn't he have something to say about this?:p:

Well you'd need a key to unlock the wheel too. :)

But it would be cool to disable the starter at the ignition and throw a button under the seat or something.

I doubt Mr. Clark Kent is having trouble with the ignition. I think he just wants to fly faster :D. But about that locking steering wheel, you can disable this system mechanically under the dash by removing the perforated rotating wheel thingy and/or the plunger that goes into this wheel. Here's the perforated wheel thing (upper right corner):
steering_shaft_joint.jpg

no problem with the ignition, i just picked up a morosso switch panel thats gonna be mounted to my rollcage, and its got a push button start, thought i might be cool and install it too. i wanna still be able to have to still use the key. :)

what ya do is make sure you get the big red button one and have it engraved with "Don't touch' on it then watch someone unfamiliar with your truck go nuts trying to figure out how to start it :D

Someone told me that with the PATS keys, you can fix a key under the shroud, against the lock, as close as possible to the PATS sensor, but I don't know if this trick would work with the new SecuriLock keys. The original intent I read was to install a remote start system, but I would imagine you could do it for this trick too.

IZ, you could put a steering column optical sensor on that ring or maybe use a hall effect magnetic pickup on your steering project.
Hehe well I'm almost done with the hydraulic steering so I can switch over to an electronic system now.

what ya do is make sure you get the big red button one and have it engraved with "Don't touch' on it then watch someone unfamiliar with your truck go nuts trying to figure out how to start it :D
I think that "dont touch" sign will do the opposite -- everyone's going to want to touch that switch ;)

I think that "don't touch" sign will do the opposite -- everyone's going to want to touch that switch ;)

Good point did'nt think about that but i am sure u could find something to put on it to make people think twice about pushing it tho.

Put a reed switch with a relay behind a piece of the dashboard trim. Put a magnet against the panel to close the contacts of the switch when you want to start it. It will crank, and nobody will be able to figure out how to crank it except for you.

make the button say "Ejector Seat":D

putting the key under the shroud will not work I don't think. I have a non-PATS key for a spare that's on another key ring. I tried starting the truck with my non-PATS, with the PATS key right next to it... It didn't work:(

Yeah I always kind of thought the signal to the PATS system from the chip in the key was sent through the metal key itself into the ignition?

push butten start is cool i guess the only reason i've ever installed it was for friend in his Z28 for some reason after putting a CD player in the ignition system failed some where. After about a week of changing out parts under the dash we gave up.
so i grabed the wire schems and put in the push butten start but wired it to use the key still so you put the key in and turn it to the on position then hold down the butten and it starts right up

Running it to work without the key is kinda not all too great cause it can be stolen real easy if someone catches wind of it

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

x2, a toggle switch can be hidden in a lot of places, even in with the offroad light switches...most people won't think of that especially if you label it lights...:D

Back