• Register Today It's free!

4.0 Sohc Rebuild In Progess! Pics

Jamieh560

Reaction score
City, State
Wilmington, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Sport
WELL I have been have problems with no power and rough idling and then misfires on 5 cylinders! No codes... No sensors acting up.... anything.... Then I noticed the harmonic balancer had a wobble to it. I was like how in the hell did it get bent??? When I went to remove it the bolt was a pain to get out and the Harmonic balancer fell off.... So I got to have a crankshaft. Whats fun is ford stealership had if off last when they did the front timing chain guide. well I have the engine out and apart here is some pics....

Here's the crank.. it wore the key down cause timing to be off quiet a bit....

Here's the rear guide broke....

I'm taking the heads and block to the machine shop on monday... milling and valve job for the heads.... decking the block for alittle more compresson. Has anyone bored out their engine... was there positive outcome.... Has anyone had there cams regrinded. I've ordered crankshaft and all timing components (all new chains, guides, and spockets.) I'm still looking for a rebuild kit for everything else without going to ford.... Thanks for any info... I'm post pics as I rebuild....

ALSO does anyone have the timing tool kit I could use for alittle cash... Hate to buy to use once.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry to hear of that rebuild. The compression is fairly good already, don't cut the blocks or head down very much, or you will end up running 93 octane by force. Good luck,

No the grove the key sits in is messed up and the harmonic balancer has worn the end on the crank down.. I bought a new one and its not even close to being press-fitted...

No the grove the key sits in is messed up and the harmonic balancer has worn the end on the crank down.. I bought a new one and its not even close to being press-fitted...

k i couldn't tell that pic is a bit blurry

Be very careful when you remove the E-10 size bolts holding the balance shaft to the block. (See picture five.) Speaking from experience it is very easy to strip the head of these bolts. My son was helping and by the time I warned him it was already too late. :splat:

That balance shaft is heavier than it looks, and be sure to time that chain when you install that. The manual shows how to time the balance shaft. Good luck,

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm taking the heads and block to machine shop tomorrow.... and to ford to price out bearings, rings, gaskets, and seals.

Thanks for the info guys!

I'm taking the heads and block to machine shop tomorrow.... and to ford to price out bearings, rings, gaskets, and seals.

Hmm most the time machine shops want rings and pistons before they'll do the block. i wouldn't buy rings from ford but if you want to...
I'd call up Dead Link Removed and order a Sealed power fel-pro kit save your self time and money and get the whole kit it might not be on thier site but give them a call they have good customer service people that will get you all you need

EDIT: BTW for special tools you can ussauly rent them from auto parts store for free you just gotta give them a deposit

I would highly recommend reconditioning the rods, and installing aftermarket rod bolts. Rod bolts are the weakest link, always get rid of the stock rod bolts when possible. Good luck,

EDIT: BTW for special tools you can ussauly rent them from auto parts store for free you just gotta give them a deposit

They usually have generic tools (torque wrench, pulley puller, fan clutch wrench, etc) that can be used on many different engines. The 4.0L SOHC timing kit is very specific. I would not expect to find it in an auto parts store loaner or rental inventory.

Wish I was a little closer I would like to see this done in person. I'm really interested in rebuilding mine but digging that far into a motor is scary. I'm too afraid of finding alot more problems or parts that needs replaced than my wallet can handle.

good luck

Well got everything but the rebuild kit and still waiting on my heads from the machine shop. Here's some pictures of the old and new crankshaft and my clean parts thanks to a beadblaster.

12254260_1024.ts1190771501000.jpg

12254261_1024.ts1190771509000.jpg

Mate just a quick question . How many miles did you have on the clock before this .??? because I'm wandering if I'm going to have to go that far .Cheers Barry

Mate ,I should have asked before but I didn't think of it and I may also be a bit cheeky but here goes . You wouldn't have a parts list of all that by the way.??? Just hoping Cheers Barry

It had 182,000 miles. The only reason I tore into it was the crankshaft bolt backed out and screwed the end of the crank and keyway up..... which knocked it off timing. the CKP sensor was getting a faulty reading sense the harmonic balancer was wobbling.... AS far as the main and rod bearings they looked great. I also found the rear guide broken, but there was no chain noise(rattles). Getting black and heads back tomorrow.. rebuilt kit came in. He call and said he had put in the jackshaft bearing and freeze plug in already... So I should be putting the bottom end together tomorrow night.

foxy:

I do have a parts list with all the ford part#.... I will post it when i find the paper I wrote it all on.

Jamie

Thanks Mate , Did you change your oil pump with new ?Cheers Barry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jamie,
Just curious, did Sealed Power offer forged and non forged versions? What about different compression ratios?

Back