Fuse #5 keep blowing

lost1117

Reaction score
City, State
andover nj
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 explorer
As soon as I start the x the fuse blows any help would be nice it is 93 x

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Do you know what fuse #5 is for? Do you have the manual, it should say.

Fuse diagram from autozone online repair guide

0900823d800ba8f5.gif

I'll check it again, but I'm pretty sure my 94 owners manual lists #4 and #5 as having to do with turn signals and hazard lights.

Mike

trun signal back up lights blower motor rear def and drl mod

...maniak, you wouldn't happen to have the picture for the relay box would you??? :D

The above pic is from the autozone repair info guide. I didn't see one for the relays.. I don't even think my chiltons/haynes manuals have a pic.

~Mark

...yea, they don't...they are only in the owners manuals...i am watching this thread to see what the results are, including mikeinri's #4,#5, fuses...i know there are variables on the first gen's fuses...:dunno:

OK, so I verified my manual (94 XLT). On pages 322-323, the fuses are listed with a diagram. (On page 324, there is a different list that is specific for Limited edition, but 4 and 5 are the same in terms of turn signals, etc.)

OK, here you go:

Fuse #4: 15 Amp: Stoplights, 4-way Flasher

Fuse #5: 15 Amp: Back-up lamps, DRL module, Rear defrost control, Turn indicator, Turn lamps

There are no other fuses listed that affect the turn signals.

BTW, the difference between the Chilton's diagram (autozone) and Ford may just be the numbering of the fuses, since the Ford manual lists 4 and 5 as 15 Amps, while the Chilton's does not.

If you got the fuse number from the fuse panel itself, I would use the Ford diagram. Again, this info is for a 94, not sure if they changed it from 93 to 94.

I think you confirmed this in one of the messages above.

Now, what is the cause? If you have DRL (mine doesn't), and if there is a way to disconnect the DRL, that might be the place to start. Everything else on #5 "should" be turned off manually before you start the truck, assuming you don't have a short somewhere.

Let us know how it works out!

Mike

Well it just stopped blowing fuse finely also replaced headlight switch

Did it "fix itself" before or after you replaced the switch?

Mike

...thanks tedj, that's perfect...i will when i get some free time would like to cross reference this against my 91...in fact, after looking at it i know it is way different than a 91...mine has the big fuses instead of the relays...but i sure will look at this when i refer to the relay box, again thanks...:salute:

Fuse #5 Blowing

A Friend Of Mine Had The Same Problem (ford Ranger 2001) The Fuse That Handles The Back Up Lights, Blower, Etc.

We Found The Problem To Be, A Grounded Wire In The Steering Column. It Was The Wires That Fed The Overdrive Button On The End Of The Gear Shift. They Were Pulled So Tight, That Everytime He Shifted From Park To Drive The Fuse Would Blow. Maybe You Might Check The Switch That That Acuates The Backup Lights Also. WE RE-ROUTED THE WIRING SLIGHTLY AND CURED THE PROBLEM.

Rick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Blown num 5 fuse

I finly descovered mine was blowing when it was in reverce and found the wiring lume gowing to the transmission was laying on the exhaust manifold , it had burnt the backup wire. Retaped it and tied it up every thing work great again

Back