Replace Rear Shocks on 02 Explorer?? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Replace Rear Shocks on 02 Explorer??

Rar

Reaction score
City, State
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer EB
Has anyone replaced the rear shocks on a 2002 Explorer, 4x4.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

No, but I did replace the struts and springs :D

It very easy only thing you need to know is to get the strut out you have to disconnect the lower control arm from the knuckle and the sway bar end.

Get yourself a manual and read up on it. Be careful with a compressed spring. Get a spring compressor.

yes...it was painful

I was replacing my spings, but doing so got me down to the shocks. you need to disconnect the tyrod, and at least loosen if not remove the wheel nut. I can't remember if I had to remove the half shafts or not to weasle the strut out. Either way there are 3 hard to get to bolts on the top of the strut, which would be even harder if you are doing this with just jacks & stands.

and if you don't have a spring compressor you're better off replacing the whole struts (depending on how many miles you have)...I've got 140k and had both rear springs break....heard its common due to bad metal used or something?!?

Sorry carguy that you did all that but you really did not have to.

1 - remove tire
2 - disconnect the stabilizer bar link at the lower control arm
3 - remove the bolt from the lower control arm to the knuckle
4 - remove the 3 nuts at the top of the strut (not a lot of room but not bad)
5 - remove the bolt at the bottom of the strut
6 - push the lower control arm down as far as it will go
7 - remove the strut

First time I did the X took me about 30min one side, now takes about 15.

I do not know of any one selling a new complete assembly so a spring compressor is a must when replacing the strut.

Sorry carguy that you did all that but you really did not have to.

1 - remove tire
2 - disconnect the stabilizer bar link at the lower control arm
3 - remove the bolt from the lower control arm to the knuckle
5 - remove the bolt at the bottom of the strut
6 - push the lower control arm down as far as it will go
7 - remove the strut

First time I did the X took me about 30min one side, now takes about 15.

I do not know of any one selling a new complete assembly so a spring compressor is a must when replacing the strut.

Tower, good info:thumbsup: Is the front harder to replace?

I work at a local auto repair shop and we use NAP:A parts. I know they sell "quick struts" for other vehicles but not sure if they do for Explorers. The "quick strut" is a fully assembled strut and spring. We put them on quite a few vehicles and have had no complaints. If you have a NAPA around give them a call and se if they carry them.

Anybody know what size the 3 nuts at the top of the strut are? I'll be changing out the struts (both springs and shocks) soon and from the looks of it, the nuts will need replacement due to rust.

Thanks!

Pretty sure they are 13mm

Remove the rear caliper too. They free up a lot of room for the install and removal. Made it easier for me anyway and it's just 2 bolts.

Thanks. Great info, I'll be doing this soon.

I am in the middle of this job and I can not seem to get the strut back into the lower control arm I am wondering if the struts are side specific I put the top in and tightened the top nuts pushed down on the lower control arm and though the bottom of the strut is above the control arm it will not move back and into position

I'll bet the knuckle isn't lining up with it's slot in the lower control arm, preventing you from pulling the lower control arm back up to the strut.

Oh, and to really give yourself room to pull out the old strut/spring assembly, put a 2x4 in between the frame and front portion of the lower control arm, and have someone push down on the other end of the 8 foot 2x4. It'll really push it down, and give you plenty of room to work, without removing the tirerod or caliper. I just did this last night, and installed the Monroe Quick Struts, and it was quite easy.

Greg

I just spent 5 hours removing and install a new quick strut on the rear passanger side of my 03 explorer i looked all over for an easy way to do this and couldnt find anything even check the haynes manual i finally took the lower mount for the wheel hub off and the front stabalizer bar and it was a piece of cake after that. so anyone who is looking to do this just pull those two things off after you unbolt the strut and rear tierod end and you will be done in no time

The real problem is if your spring are broken...then removing all that doesn't help..THink tomorrow i am going to have to retract the broken spring in order to get the old strut/spring out..

Hello new guy here. Just found out both my rear springs are broke. Thinking about doing this myself. Can I use some very BIG zip ties on the spring to keep it from breaking loose on me while removing the assembly. Will they hold the pressure. Im talking the big 1/4 inch zip ties here.

Hello new guy here. Can I use some very BIG zip ties on the spring to keep it from breaking loose on me while removing the assembly. Will they hold the pressure. Im talking the big 1/4 inch zip ties here.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I'm thinking you will be playing with a loaded gun using plastic zip ties to hold the compressed spring in place. Do you have a death wish? Better wear body armor and riot helmet prior to doing it that way. I've used those large zip ties handcuffing convicts in my day, but they aren't made for holding the kinds of pressure of a vehicles spring load. Far as I know, you can borrow a spring compressor tool from parts stores, usually for free. Just might have to leave a deposit just to make sure they get their tools back and when you return the tools, you get your deposit back. BTW, why change the spring by itself and go thru all that work seperating the spring from the old strut? You'd be better off just buying a whole new spring-strut assembly that comes pre-assembled. It would be less work and less dangerous and easier to do. Prime Choice Auto Parts has a brand called "Strut Teks" that many in here have used and like, and they only cost around $78 each. Much cheaper than Monroe's.

Hello new guy here. Just found out both my rear springs are broke. Thinking about doing this myself. Can I use some very BIG zip ties on the spring to keep it from breaking loose on me while removing the assembly. Will they hold the pressure. Im talking the big 1/4 inch zip ties here.

you are going to hurt yourself with zip ties, buy yourself a complete strut assembly (check struttek if you're on a budget) to finish the whole setup in a day.

avoid this redneck method, might work for cars but for trucks?.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqiaca7bK2g

here's my write up. http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.204265239641635.48139.110528882348605&type=3

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer?sk=photos

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Oh I decided against that idea hours ago. Im very safety concious so I don't know why I ever came up with that idea lol. Going to get a compressor. they are cheap compared to the price of a lost body part...or worse. But any pointers on getting it off and on would help. Im going to use a coplete assembly. Im only thinking about the compressor because the spring is broken at the bottom.

Back