Raga's rust belt BroncoII | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Raga's rust belt BroncoII

This is Humble Pie my Fabulous Bronco II - warts and all. I named him Humble Pie because I have never been in this much of a pinch in my life as I am now and often people point and laugh but I refuse to let him go... As a matter of fact I rely on Humble to get to work and if it wasn't for Humble I might not have wanted to stay around. This project was/is a life saver. So please... have a slice of Humble Pie!

I finally decided to register my BroncoII here are some pics of my rust belt experience (not for those who get woozy at the sight of rust)...

When it was sitting in a driveway with weeds growing up around it I pounced on the opportunity, went up knocked on the door and got it for $650 - wasn't running and turned out to be a fuel pump harness..
newbroncopassside.jpg

newbroncopassfront.jpg

bothbroncos.jpg

the red one was my first B2 which I gave to my nephew after I fixed it up:
New tires, Rims, brakes, lines hoses, rotors, wbearing, tierods, shocks, leafs, shackles, hangers, and a kitchen sink :)
Dylan's Bronco In Progress:
dylsb2leafswap1.jpg

Here is what I went through after the tire fell off my truck on morning....The night before my bud Shane was helping me finish up new valve cover gaskets and intake porting (gasket matching) and he sprung a leak in his tire so I told him to grab the spare off the back of mine - well he started loosening the one ON THE GROUND - not of the SPARE HOLDER and left em loose. Drinking and fixing is baaaad... Anyways tire fell off next morning - my retarded dog was perioding so she had diapers and a space collar thingy on and I was only wearing flip flops and a hoodie and it was minus 2 degrees F outside. When I heard the clunk and BAM! The back tire rolled out in front of the truck!!! I opened the door and the dog JETTED! So I was running down Willow Road in flip flops chasing a dog in Diapers and a Space Collar while my truck was in the middle of the busy street on 3's In retrospect I can laugh about it but it was HELL then. Here's the carnage I discovered when I got the tire back on and back home...
Broken Leaf Hanger and shackle:
shackelhangertrashed.jpg

brokenleafsandshackels.jpg

Broken Shock Hanger too
brokenshockstudcloseup2.jpg

Space Diaper Puppy:
zenapuppy.jpg

Fixing Shock Hanger
Removebrokenshockstud.jpg

This is how my truck sat for almost 6 Mos
Discovered once the shackles were off there was sever rust damage to the frame too.. So it had to be reinforced:
gottalovetherustbelt.jpg

fabup2.jpg
fabuootherside.jpg
fabup3.jpg

cleanedalltherustandscale.jpg

After putting on Explorer Leafs and new Shackels and Hangers
dylsb2swapfinished.jpg

There was a period of time when I was given mandatory Furlough Days at work - So I had no $ and was really bored so I experimented on painting here is how that went...
Sanded with Dual Action Sander
restorepaint5.jpg
restorepaint6.jpg

restorepaint7.jpg
restorepaint8.jpg

beforerestore2.jpg

Also did a test spot on the RAD support
restorepaint2.jpg
restorepaint10.jpg

Here is the final product - Yes it is rattle canned - I just did a coat waited 12 hours sanded with 2K grit and repeated 3 times. and finished up with a rubbing compound and sealer -
alt13-1.jpg

More problems that got so bad it rendered my truck undriveable. Up here in WI and in IL all the B2's, Fullsize Broncs, K5 Blazers, and Ram Chargers go to the junk yard, not because they "Die" or "clunk out" it's because The beds het so rotted that they sag and it literally RIPS the truck body apart... Mine got so bad 2x4's were holding the back up...

IMG_0029.jpg

alt11.jpg
rearquarterrot.jpg

See how on the corners of the hatch it is sunk down - look at the weather stripping:
StripDown1.jpg
3_Rot_Before2.jpg
2x4_holding_up_truck.jpg
7_Chopped_Bolts.jpg

Let the fixing begin
Some new steal stock
6_Steal_Stock.jpg
8_After_Removing_Main.jpg

7_Chopped_Bolts.jpg

11_Jon_Metal_Cutter.jpg

The ugly way to get the steel in the truck:
14_theuglywaywegotitinthere.jpg
12_Setting_Stock.jpg
13_Setting2.jpg

16_finito1.jpg

here is how she sits now with the reinforcements in place:
19_not_crooked.jpg

Replaced Alternator, Radiator, Battery, belts n hoses recently too for winter
coming:
Dylan_Replace_Alt2.jpg

NewRadiator.jpg
alt2.jpg
alt3.jpg

New U&L Balljoints, tierods both sides 2 weeks ago
NewBallJointsTierodDriverSide.jpg
NewBallJointsTierodPassenger.jpg

I used the red tierod boots :)
New red Radius Arm bushings on as of yesterday (Pictured - not installed all the way yet)
InProgressnewRadArmBushings.jpg

My truck is currently outta commission - when I let the jack down it ripped the hydraulic clutch line off... That is next weekends project -

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Update

since the last post:
>Finished Rad Arm Bushings
>Installed and bled new clutch line
>Upper/Lower Intake gasket kit
>Plugs
>Wires
>Cap and Rotor

Also installed new Oil Pressure Sender Unit

So much more to do... but since this is my DD (200 miles per day) I really haven't been able to do everything I need to do to it... As soon as I get my Ex running straight I will dive right into my B2

More pics to come

Looks good!! I wish I had a Bronco II, there really nice vehicles.

That rust is no joke.
whenI was removing the leaf springs and would WAK it with a BFH it would literally shower rust. After I moved the truck and swept up the garage I weighed the rust pieces (24lbs!!!)

It is pretty much rust free now on the frame - I am still debating swapping cabs.. finding a rust free cab is difficult in the rust belt. trailering one from the south will be a challenge too.

Wow. :eek: That is some intense rust issues going on there. It would probably be safer and more economical just to go ahead and and do a cage then when the body falls apart due to rust you are ready to roll with a tube buggy. :D

But seriously that is pretty bad. I have never lived up north so the most problems I see here are paint fade and cracked rubber from the heat. Good luck keeping it together. :thumbsup:

I know and everybody (down south) is always like "yeah bronco II's are a dime a dozen..." but up here people snap pictures if you are driving a car more than 20 years old. seriously in the JY you wont find one. They have all evaporated :confused:

I take that back, some of the worst rust I have seen is down on the coast and the beach area. Half those vehicles down there older than 10 years are running rust buckets. Its really sad that such awesome vehicles are taken out by something as simple as iron oxide. :(

This is kick-ass. Great work. Love restoration jobs like this. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

After I moved the truck and swept up the garage I weighed the rust pieces (24lbs!!!)

That is what i call redneck weight reduction. I have a fair share of that...or should i say had. I just cut it all out and fixed it. Your b2 is coming along great

I take that back, some of the worst rust I have seen is down on the coast and the beach area. Half those vehicles down there older than 10 years are running rust buckets. Its really sad that such awesome vehicles are taken out by something as simple as iron oxide. :(

Yeah and the way that they are making cars and trucks now it is not uncommon to see a 3-4 year old car with rust holes in the body and frame damage..

This is kick-ass. Great work. Love restoration jobs like this. Keep up the good work! :thumbsup:

Thanks Jason it has been a real challenge since I don't any longer have a garage to work out of and because I have been relying on this truck to get me around to my jobs (almost 200 miles a day) but he is a SOLDIER and keeps on keepin on!

That is what i call redneck weight reduction. I have a fair share of that...or should i say had. I just cut it all out and fixed it. Your b2 is coming along great

Thanks, I need a welder about 300 cutting wheels, 60 hours of labor OR an less rusty cab :D

Update

So things have been going smooth after almost dying because of cheap wheel bearings:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=298275

It cost $85 for the tow and $151 for someone to replace the wheel bearings (urrrg! I can do this with my eyes closed!) but since it broke 60 miles from home and I was ill prepared I had to pay... At least he didn't rob me.

Anyways all is well and I am excited about dropping the 99 Ex off tis morn to FINALLY get the tranny installed! But naturally when you have twins there is some sibling rivalry... Humble (My B2's official name! HUMBLE PIE-Awesome Huh!?) saw me driving 99 to the shop and gave me a "special" treat when I got home.... Yeah the heater stopped working. Go figure the first snowfall and I have no blower motor. So off to the parts house (they laugh when they see me a comin and am on a fist name basis now)

Got the heater motor and new fan speed resistor installed in under 15 minutes - God I love my truck - so easy to work on! and cheap! $35 altogether for blower mot and resistor!

lookin good

I have never lived up north so the most problems I see here are paint fade and cracked rubber from the heat. Good luck keeping it together. :thumbsup:

You guys are so seriously missing out... :D

Nice work on the B2!!!

You guys are so seriously missing out... :D

Nice work on the B2!!!

Your eye HAD to be twitching as you read through this - haven't gotten around to claying Humble yet :D

You guys are so seriously missing out...

Yeah...I am just so missing out... :rolleyes:

My '98 Dodge Ram...
dodgeoxy007.jpg

dodgeoxy004.jpg

Welcome to the Southwest - Paint fade is our epidemic down here.

If only sunshine were my worries...
brokenleafsandshackels.jpg

My nephews Bronco is so rusty the door fell off this summer
HowDyldrobethebroncallsummer.jpg

Youch!! How do you deal with it every day in and out seeing these awesome vehicles destroyed by salt and water? I couldn't stand rust like that. I would literally fall to pieces if I had a single spot of hard rust on my truck.

Rust does suck, but it makes for cool multi-colored vehicles and interesting projects. And a more thorough learning experience. Hell, my Bronco would already be done if I wasn't chasing rust...

DylsBroncStripped.jpg

DylnDougputinwindowonBronc2.jpg

DylsBronconewfenderanddoor2.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back