Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Loose gear shifter... and what is this bolt?

Reaction score
City, State
In the Middle
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Ranger 5.0
Quick story: I was driving home last night with my stereo up loud (it shakes the dash a lot) and a bolt fell from under the dash onto my foot. Today the shift lever for the transmission has a lot of free play and doesn't want to go all the way into "Park" and the needle doesn't line up with any of the letterers on the dash. I have to pull the lever towards me to get it to move down into "Drive" (actually OD). So, does anyone recognize this bolt as something that would cause my problems if it fell out? Or is this strictly co-incidental? The bolt is about an inch long.

DSCF0004.jpg

Edit by Turdle, because I feel it needs to be in the first post

I recently had this same problem but found this website and it told me exactly what to find and how to fix it. So I thought I would add a photo to help others with this problem
IMG_0203.jpg

Its not easy to get under there and fix it but it can be done, also I found it easier to put the shifter in neutral to help align the two bolts. Hope this helps

More information can be found in this thread
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=266031

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You need to take your steering column and lower dash apart pronto
That bolt is a retainer for the shifter mechanism or something related to it
If you dont fix it you can break the shifter assembly then you are looking at big $$$ to fix it unless you go pull the parts from the junk yard yourself.

Not a huge ordeal but it does take some work to get back in there and fix.

I have seen alot of problems with the Gen II column shifters, breaking, wires for OD button break, the indicator out of adjustment, and worst case broken lever = need parts.

Worst case however you can drive the truck by pulling/pushing the cable with your hands :) LOL been there done that

Thanks, I'll leave it parked until I get time to fix it. It's a good thing you mentioned the severity of the problem, otherwise I would have kept driving it... only to cause more problems.

This was the easiest thing I've ever fixed on this Explorer. I was able to lay on the floor on my back and reach up in the dash and put the bolt back in with out taking anything apart. You have to be thin (scrawny) and very flexible to get at it though...

I also found out today that my A/C will cost about $500 to fix! :mad: The compressor, accumulator, and 1 hose all leak.

Those AC parts are not $500 at the junk yard!
good job fixing the shifter

This was the easiest thing I've ever fixed on this Explorer. I was able to lay on the floor on my back and reach up in the dash and put the bolt back in with out taking anything apart. You have to be thin (scrawny) and very flexible to get at it though...

Ok, I layed down on my back, I met all the human built requirements, can't feel a dag on thing in there. Do I have to take the steering column off and lower dash as was said before? Mine is still in but there is lots of play in the shifter so I want to tighten it before it falls out

D a n a

shine a good lite up in there while your moving the shifter a little .you will soon see the area you need to be working in .only 2 star bolts your looking for.

Just fixed that two days ago on my 97 thanks to the guys on this forum. Layed on my back with a good light. There are two bolts like you have to hold the shift lever to the coluum rod. They are just above the steering shaft it self and about 15" up from the fire wall, So your head has to be planted under pretty good.

Had the same problem, I found the bolt in the floorboard. I figured out where it went and got the right tool to tighten it and handed it over the the misses. Yep the wife was able to do this fix due to her size and me just having shoulder surgery.

wow, this same thing just happened to me..I am not mechanical with cars at all..is this something that is fairly easy to fix??? can somebody please tell me!! I need my car working badly!!

Very easy fix if its the loose bolts. Look at previous threads

I had to remove the drivers seat...

But I am 6'4" and weigh a lot...My Sport dropped that jewel out right after reinstalling my gauges and installing the bolt was oh so easy with the seat out of the way...

Is there a diagram showing where the bolt goes? This has happened to me.

Amazing the information you can find on the internet! Found this site and thread, fixed the problem and saved me about $100, I figured, from the shop.
Easy fix, but I did have to remove the cover to find the exact location, I found there were several of the same bolts. I also had to disconnect a couple of wires that were in the way. Have some pics, but can't figure out how to post them.

Amazing the information you can find on the internet! Found this site and thread, fixed the problem and saved me about $100, I figured, from the shop.
Easy fix, but I did have to remove the cover to find the exact location, I found there were several of the same bolts. I also had to disconnect a couple of wires that were in the way. Have some pics, but can't figure out how to post them.

PLease post the picture and that will help more people. Here is the way to post picture.

1) Open account at flickr.com or whatever free photo sharing site you like.
2) Update load the photo you have taken.
3) For each photo, right click it and get the property of the photo which contains the address of the photo. For example, here is one photo I took for posting in this forum.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/58841332@N06/5628280249/in/photostream

4) Then you can use 'Insert Image' icon when you post message in this forum.
Or
5) You can just copy and paste the photo's address as what I did above.

Hope this helps.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I was a little worried I might not be able to do this after the scrawny comment. I'm 220 and I was able to get this done in about 10 minutes. You just gotta stick your head way up under there.

Back