Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.

Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1991 - 1994 Explorer Ranger Navajo 1st Generation > Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1991 - 1994 Explorers For questions related to the base Ford Explorer. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications. No modification questions.

The infamous Ford Explorer OHV knock/tap

Old 08-19-2008, 09:34 AM   #1
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
The infamous Ford Explorer OHV knock/tap

I have spent time searching and reading on this. I am posting this new thread as I guess I am not really getting anywhere and have basically stopped driving the EX until I can figure this out.

I have done 2 rounds of Seafoam through the intake, my neighbors are questioning. I am sure it helped something, but not this noise.

The sound is not present at startup. It is present after things warm up, the warmer the louder. In order to hear it, I have to drop it into D and rev, while braking. IT DOES cycle with the motor, but does not sound like a rod, not 'heavy' enough. At idle it is about 4 times a second and picks up as I rev up a little while in gear, although I think I can detect it while driving, usually slow on my street where it is quiet. In any event, it is not real loud or real noticeable while driving, but it is very distinct, not the noise of a lifter IMHO, but who knows?

I am told (here) that it also may be in the tranny, perhaps the torque converter? Again, I know and have read plenty of posts on this, and I guess I am thinking 'lifter not pumping up' but I want to eliminate rod knock and be assured that a flat lifter will not hurt me while driving as long as I take it easy?

Ideas?? Thanks in advance and I also looked on you toob to see if I could find a video of my sound, and I could not. Anybody know of one?

Last edited by ernzo; 08-19-2008 at 10:41 AM.
ernzo is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn what modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to see less ads, no green underlined links, and many other benefits such as being able to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.

Old 08-19-2008, 10:55 AM   #2
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD

'00 XLS, '03 Sport

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Hmm, if you have to put it in gear to hear it than it's not the typical lifter noise. Which would likely means it has something to do with the tranny.

Mobil 1 & Amsoil Synthetic Fluids, 2WD switch Brown wire mod, KKM air intake, overhead console, lighted sunvisors, custom 2nd HU install, '03 Ranger Fog lights, Hurst short-shifter, 75MM MAF, BBK 66MM Throttle Body
My 2000 Explorer
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 04:46 PM   #3
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

If you can, get an audio clip.
Masterd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:15 PM   #4
mshuler009
Centerville, Ohio
1998 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I too just had this probelm arise yesterday. I didn't get it to do it yesterday because I had it in park. But when driving it today I heard it. So I powerbraked it slightly and hear a really soft sound louder than valve noise but quieter than a rod knock.....I'll try to get sound

mshuler009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 07:11 PM   #5
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

I might know what sound youre talking about...

Try and get that clip.
Old 08-19-2008, 08:48 PM   #6
seth247
Tulsa, Oklahoma
'92 XLT 4X4

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I also have a noise that I fear is not a lifter noise.

However mine is present at startup.

seth247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 PM   #7
Blacksheep Josh
Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Statesboro, GA

1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
i have a tapping sound from the engine and got two opinoins from two different mechanics. one said it was a fuel injector clicking, another said it was a lifter. but both agreed that i shouldn't worry about it with the amoutn of miles i have on the engine.

you might try the stethoscope method. it's like one a doctor uses but it's a little tube you can put against the engine, you might be able to pinpoint about where it's coming from. if it gets louder the warmer it is, then chances are it's making the sound at all times, you just can't hear it. the stethoscope should make it easeir to hear it when parked.

1991 Nissan 240sx Drift Pig
"You can hear me when I'm coming" - Yung Joc
Blacksheep Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:55 AM   #8
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Update NOW WITH VIDEO / AUDIO !!

http://media-mobi.com/en/?play-bk4v5...ozxw3kjc07d7nv

and another

http://media-mobi.com/en/?play-7l7qg...a038ohis2ttjk5

This is with me holding the camera phone while sitting in the drivers seat. I have the brake on and and reving about 1000 or so.

Masterd: I (now have) an audio/video clip of the sound that I can post. I regret that I have yet to do the steth-test ( I use a long piece of wood), but I talked to my wife about helping me today and will check.

This is no fuel injector tap that I have ever heard, but I do know that noise.

Briwayjones: You mention the typical lifter noise as (likely) to be heard at all times, and I agree, although this is my first explorer and I am not real familiar with all the noises.

Anyway, I have the video and will try to post this am.

Thanks!!

Last edited by ernzo; 08-20-2008 at 11:21 AM.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #9
Shen2187
Medford, Oregon
1991 XLT 4x4

Vehicle Specs

Sorry but I have no idea what that noise is. But I can tell you it doesn't sound good.

ZAPV #47

My Truck's Thread.
Shen2187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
mshuler009
Centerville, Ohio
1998 Explorer

Vehicle Specs

I've tried the TSB on the carbon knock on acceleration. Cured it. Runs faster than a mechanic from the toolman....lol

mshuler009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 09:18 PM   #11
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Thumbs up Torque Converter Bolt(s) loose?

Let's say the noise is tranny, and it is loose torque converter bolts (one possible diagnosis)

Can I tighten them? Without taking out the tranny (T-case etc. etc.)?

Ideas???

Old 08-21-2008, 12:38 AM   #12
allout
Nanaimo BC Canada
93 Sport

Vehicle Specs

My diagnosis would be either loose torque converter bolts or a cracked flex plate. On the older trannys there was an inspection/access plate, if not then just remove the starter to get at the bolts.

Old 08-21-2008, 03:59 AM   #13
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

If thats not a cracked flexplate (which is somewhat common, considering its construction), then I'd say bottom end noise.

Hows power? Does it smoke? What RPM is the noise loudest at?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:17 AM   #14
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Flex Plate inspection

Allout: I will climb under it this weekend and look for an inspection plate. As I have never actually done anything to a tranny, except some peripheral stuff, I assume I look for anything loose (and tighten it up) or anything that is cracked?? As a shade tree mechanic, my experience only goes to jobs I have done, and while I replaced a T-Case, I did not have to take out the tranny to do it!! And it was on a Jeep, not a Explorer. So, new territory.

masterd: Absolutely no smoke, runs like a champ, plenty of power has been extremely well maintained over the years by the previous (1) owner.

When cold, it absolutely does not make the 'noise' - In any gear, or N. This AM, if I started her, and put her in D with the brake on, engine sounds like it was new.

When she has been driven for awhile, and I THEN stop, put her in D with the brake on, she makes the noise at idle, and if I apply the gas some, the noise picks up and gets more noticeable.

Old 08-21-2008, 04:15 PM   #15
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Check the oil pressure.

Cold oil is thicker than oil at regukar engine temp. The thicker oil will cushion the noise until it thins out.

Oil pressure, engine hot and at 2k Rpms, should be at least 40 pounds.

I'm thinking a cracked flex plate would be making noise 24/7, to at least some degree.
Old 08-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #16
Blacksheep Josh
Slinky+Escalator=Fun
Statesboro, GA

1993 Ford Explorer XLT

Vehicle Specs

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just one more idea I had, it's not an exhaust leak/tap is it? After hearing that noise it reminded me of the sound my buddy's Dakota has, and he says it's a leak around the headers/engine.

We can figure this out!

1991 Nissan 240sx Drift Pig
"You can hear me when I'm coming" - Yung Joc
Blacksheep Josh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 04:41 PM   #17
Masterd
Upland, CA
1993 Explorer Sport

Vehicle Specs

Agreed with Josh. You need to get us some oil pressure numbers so we can rule out the bottom end and focus on it being:

A) Lifters

B) Rocker(s)

C) Exhaust leak

D) Flexplate
Old 08-22-2008, 09:05 AM   #18
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterd View Post
Agreed with Josh. You need to get us some oil pressure numbers so we can rule out the bottom end and focus on it being:
A) Lifters
B) Rocker(s)
C) Exhaust leak
D) Flex plate
Hmmm, well the idiot guage reads about in the middle, and I am not going to be able to get real oil numbers in the short term, however, it does not run like it has oil pressure low enough to cause this noise (like I would know! )

I am pretty sure I will be able to better sus it out with a sound test when I am underneath. If it is coming from the oil pan area.....

I will get back on this and thanks everyone for the notes.

Old 08-22-2008, 01:32 PM   #19
Aceofdaspades
Oskaloosa, IA
1991 4x4 XLT

Vehicle Specs

Well I had a 99 explorer sport, which had that little rattle on start up and the tick while in gear. The rattle turned out to be the starter gear hanging up on the ring gear and the tick turned out to be a bad torque converter which shot metal shavings through out my whole tranny.

I have learned that the first gen 4.0L have a bad oiling issue with the upper portion of the push rods and eventually wear out causing play and creates a lifter like tapping. My current explorer xlt 4x4 has the lifter tapping issue, I have already replaced the heads, valve train, lifters and push rods and there was no tapping until about the first couple hours. My oil pressure guage is all over the place, but I have heard it is just an on/off switch and is probably faulty; another mechanic mentioned that I may need a new oil pump which is not providing enough oil pressure to inflate the lifters. I have not replaced it yet because it requires pulling the engine, but the sooner the better because the original heads had about six valves that were pounding the valve seats into the head by at least an inch.
Aceofdaspades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2008, 09:59 AM   #20
ernzo
Elite Explorer
Denver, Colorado

1992 Explorer 4x4

Vehicle Specs

(Original Poster)
Update, I listened while under the EX!

Got the Ex up on ramps and had my wife put her in gear, parking brake on, while I listened. I could easily hear the clunking.

Remember, it really does NOT make the sound until warmed up.

I listened at the oil pan and heard it, as well as felt it - a slight taping feel in time with the sound. IT seemed to be coming from the rear part of the drive-train, around the bell housing, but I could not be sure. It is real distinct while lying under the ex.

Pull the oil pan?

Suggest this thread to friends:

Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!

Search Explorer Forum

Top of Page