• Register Today It's free!

Lifter knock/tap?

35Remmy

Reaction score
City, State
Binghamton NY, Hazleton PA, Northern NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
'88,'99 Ranger, '00 EX
So I change my oil today (5W30 Motorcraft and Motorcraft filter) on my '99 4.0 OHV, FOR THE FIRST TIME since I've owned it (82,000 miles), and I notice a marbly sound coming from the truck.

I'm like, oh, that sounds good.

I got under the truck and it sounds like an intermittent marble tapping the inside of the oil pan.

My Jeep made this noise, although worse, and it was my lifters (I replaced my cam/lifters and the sound completely went away.

Also, when I drive the truck the sound isn't there. Rev it in neutral it's not there. Only at idle. I would think a rod knock would be heard throughout the RPM range?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've got the same situation on my 98 4.0 ohv. I'm at 140.000 miles, and it's been doing it since about 133.000. I just hope it's not something with the timing chain and it's just some carbon from using ****ty gas ( I gave up that 7-11 gas a few months ago). So have you found a solution for this problem yet?
Thanks
Joey

subscribing, i too have that anoying knock it does it periodicly throughout engine speeds. any tips would be awesome

Well, I've cleaned my mass air flow, that didn't do it.
The only thing that really concerns me is if the timing is off.
It's got new plugs and wires. Hopefully it's just carbon buildup, I plan on seafoaming it soon so we'll see if that does it. I've read that it could be a piston wrist slapping, but I'm also concerned that it's low oil pressure. I gotta find some1 who has a reader to check that because the stock gauge only measures low, medium, or high from what I've heard.
If anybody else has experienced this problem and has found a solution I'd appreciate some pointers.
Thanks
Joey

Also, I run 5w30 in the winter and 10w30 in the summer either castrol high mileage or Pennzoil high mileage with a Purolator filter.
The knock is only at idle
Thanks

Back