• Register Today It's free!

Door Ajar Light Stays On!!!

edgar_88

Reaction score
City, State
San Diego, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
'03 XLT
ive had a problem with my door ajar light for a few months now, never really paid much attention to it, but now its getting on my nerves! it stays lit when ALL my doors are closed! anyone ever had this problem???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont have my door light staying on, i have my Emergency brake always staying on now, I dont care about it though, as ling as it aint bothering me

I dont have my door light staying on, i have my Emergency brake always staying on now, I dont care about it though, as ling as it aint bothering me

my bad i forgot to mention that its not just the light, but the functions as well! my dome lights and my puddle lights stay lit for awhile, and it honks twice when i lock it, like if there were a door open, and the annoying beeping when my key is still in the ignition as if a door were open

oh wow, I dont know about all of that, you might want to go to a local dealership and see what they say. actually before you do that, maybe check the fuses which associate with the lighting inside the Ex. if you blew one, it could be the cause of the problem. make sure to check both relay boexes for any kind of blown fuses. One fuse can trigger more.

oh wow, I dont know about all of that, you might want to go to a local dealership and see what they say. actually before you do that, maybe check the fuses which associate with the lighting inside the Ex. if you blew one, it could be the cause of the problem. make sure to check both relay boexes for any kind of blown fuses. One fuse can trigger more.

ok, im ganna look into that this weekend! :D

I know i've hit the blue button on my remote opener and popped the back upper glass open before and it done that.

I know i've hit the blue button on my remote opener and popped the back upper glass open before and it done that.

no its not that either, i have the fusion key, and even though its easier to hit that button while you're turning on the car, ive checked repeatedly if any doors were open

You probably have a sticky door ajar switch, try lubricated all the door latches with wd40 and open and close the doors about 10 times after spraying them, dont for get the trunk and glass latches aswell. If this doesnt fix your light you will have hook it up to a scanner and monitor your door ajar pids and see which one is stuck open when all the doors and trunk are closed and replace that switch.

I had the exact same problem! Found out it was a loose ground wire in the driver's door harness. If you take off the driver's door panel and trace the black ground wire from inside the door into the rubber boot of the door, you'll find that the factory puts in a blue wire connector on that ground wire for some reason. My ground wire came out of that connector....so I just cut the blue connector off and extended the wire to another ground point. Works perfect now. Of course I found this out after I used an entire can of WD40 on all my locks...lol. Check it out and hope it helps.

I did the WD40 in the latches it's been over a month and so far no false warnings. It was doing it about every other day until I sprayed.Got the help here thats why I joined the forum.If you have a problem chances are there will be an answer here.

we have had this same problem with all of our work rangers
some of them have been bad grounds and others have been bad switches
we decided just to unplug the switches and live without the dome lights as you can still turn them on with the dash switch not the best solution but its free

Clean the dool latch with electrical contact cleaner instead of wd 40 since it wont attract dust and make the problem worse. This fixed my problem for over two months now. Had to do this a few times to get it all cleaned up.;)
There are also a few threads about this problem @ http://www.offroadrangers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19469

Once again, thanks to this forum for providing a simple answer to a simple problem, rather than the dealers $150 fishing expedition!

Lube the door latches....."door ajar" warning disappears......problem solved!

Thanks!

2002 Explorer 4x4 Ltd

...I just seen this..:confused:

...For those who read this thread in the future, here is "How To" fix with the WD40 method..;)
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=190221&highlight=ajar

Not sure if you confused by the thread or my post in particular. Not sure why either one would be confusing.

My post was just a thanks for the WD40 door latch lube tip that made my "door ajar" warning light go away and the interior lights work like they should again.

Dat's all I'm sayin.......

...Confused is just a smiley, and not being used in the sentence...

..Usually I see the "Door Ajar" threads pop up and reply to them..If you follow the link I posted you will see I was there..:D

...Congrats on your fix to your problem...:biggthump

Hef this wd40 fix worked for me really simple thanks
Mike

Wow you guys are GREAT !! this is why i became a member, because your specialty is our beloved explorers.
I just got a 2003 xlt 4x4, and the darn thing had the door ajar light on just out of the blue.
I got me a can of WD-40 with a straw and went to work on the exterior door handle and the latching mechanism. started the car up and the door ajar was still on. hmmm
I opened and closed the 3 times and it went out hasnt come on since (unless the door is....ajar lol) Praise Jesus for WD-40 and this Forum!
thanks so much all:thumbsup:

Well, I finally got around to fixing mine. In my case, it was actually three wires broken in the boot between the door and the body. They were the black ground wire, plus a purple and purple/green one. Got them spliced together with new sections of wire and everything works great, the dome lights, the door ajar situation, the power mirrors (both sides) and the rear passenger door lock. That door would lock, but not unlock. I'm one happy camper.

Now on to replace all of those burned-out interior light bulbs that probably resulted from this condition.

Thanks to everyone for the ideas and support here. I really appreciate it!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back