HELP! My 1999 Ford Explorer keeps flooding, and won't start. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

HELP! My 1999 Ford Explorer keeps flooding, and won't start.

missymae11

Reaction score
City, State
Adams, Ne
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 Ford Explorer
OK, we have a 1999 Ford Explorer 4.0 SOHC, its seems to be flooding it self out. Have replaced the coil pack, spark plugs, wires, fuel preassure regulator, sensors, ect. It sits there and cranks over, but wont start.
Real strong gas smell. When we take the plugs out, they are wet, really bad.
Before we where getting miss fire codes. So, we are now out of ideas. Can get it to run on either, when we shut off the fuel pump, but once we turn it back on it floods.

HELP!!!!!!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome

We know it floods, what to know why?
What can be causing it.
Why it wont start?

I would hope you have disconnected the battrey for 15+ mins. to reset computer. Then see if you get new codes

Yes, have disconnected the battery, and get no codes.

The next step is to check all Fuse and Relays. I have aassumed in past that there ok. And found a bad one most times a relay. you can try to swich the A/C relay to others. And did you check for spark at plugs.

I think on your car check manual fuse 18 in fuse panel is for oxygen sensors. if runs on either could be one that,s bad. And if runs on either you should get a code

I know you said you replaced your fuel pressure regulator, but that's sure what it sounds like. Have you tested your fuel pressure?

Yes, replaced fuel pressure regulator, and got better, now it wants to starts but back fires.
Thinking timing.

Have great fuel pressure, and just checked cylinders, they are pushing air, so now in the process of taking front end out and check timing sense that seems to be what we think it needs.

The problem may be too great of fuel pressure... I don't have the specs handy, but it should be lower at idle than it is under load. If it's cranking out full pressure at all time, that would cause flooding.

But, replaced fuel pressure regulator, and the first one pushed to much fuel to the point it shot it across the garage, now its just fine. Not doing that anymore, and the plugs are not soked like before, so now thinking timing jumped.
That is what we think might have happened.

Welcome to this forum! I've renamed, and moved your thread to the stock 95-01 section. Do you have any stored codes? Does your fuel pump run constantly when you turn the key to the on position without shutting off after a few seconds? Your fuel pump relay could be sticking, and cause the pump to run more than it should.

Fuel pump runs right when you turn it on, but then stops, have checked relays, not that.
Its got alot of miles on her, so thinking the timing jumped, and if that is the case, we might just replace the whole engine.

do a compression test (at least one cylinder and each side). With the SOHC, not a good history in terms of timing as you suspect. Even though you have "watered" down the cylinders with "unfired gas", the test will quickly tell if things are "fine" or :-(. Good luck. I suspect you lost a cam drive on one side (common problem).

Of course, you have seen your check engine light go OUT during cranking right... this gives you at least some indication that the engine is trying to "spark".

This sounds like the same problem I am having,
Did this get resolved?

I'm having the same problem with my 1998 4.0L ohv. Its flooding at start up. I've relaced all the fuses and relays, plugs, wires, coil pack. The fuel pressure regulator and ambient air temp Sensor as well. Some times if I trip the Fuel shut off it will stay but not all the time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did you check the resistance of the coolant temperature sensor to see if it's within specification? Maybe the fuel injectors are leaking?
I would check the resistance of the coolant sensor. If it is way off the signal being sent to the computer is that it is too cold and starving for fuel.

Back