Serious Explorations Ford Explorer and Ranger Message Board
#1 Resource for Ford Explorer and Ranger Owners - By Enthusiasts, for Enthusiasts.


Ford Explorer Generation Guide

EF Swag Store 2015 Ford Explorer Forums Elite Membership Chat Room My Posts Reviews Explorer Photo Gallery
Go Back   Ford Explorer and Ranger Forums "Serious Explorations" > Ford Explorer Ranger Repair - Troubleshooting - Modifications & Detailing Forums > 1995 - 2001 Explorer Ranger Mountaineer - Sport thru '03 - 2nd Generation > Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers

Notices

Stock 1995 - 2001 Explorers Questions related to non-modified 1995-2001 Explorer, Mountaineer, Ranger and '02+ Sports and Sport Trac. Problem solving, maintenance, TSB, service bulletins, owner reviews, specifications.

2000 Ford Explorer hood stuck

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #1
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
2000 Ford Explorer hood stuck

My hood release is not releasing, which is causing me some understandable concern.

I searched this site and found some useful information, however, try as I might, I cannot find any way to release the hood from the front of the truck.

Could someone post a detailed explanation, possibly with pictures? I am just a bit stupid about this area of my truck, I have never had a problem with hood releases.

Last edited by LesMinton; 08-20-2009 at 02:49 PM. Reason: phrasing
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
( Join the Elite Explorers )

For only $20 per year you can become an Elite Explorer member. Explorer Forum has probably saved you that much already, and will continue to save you money as you learn how to diagnose and fix problems yourself, and learn which modifications really work without having to experiment on your own. Elite Explorer members can change the forum "styles" to eliminate most ads, including blue underlined links, and no ads on photos. Other benefits include the ability to store 1000 Private Messages, upload photo attachments directly to your posts and to our Photo Gallery and more. Join the Elite Explorers today.


Old 08-20-2009, 03:47 PM   #2
corkey
Moderator Emeritus
Elite Canuck,
 
corkey's Avatar
96xl,99xls,old Rangers
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 5,651

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 55 Post(s)
sometimes if you have somebody push down a bit on the hood when pulling the handle it will release right away , others bump it a bit with the palm of the hand,, but not tooo hard, , it might leave a dent,,,




__________________
Log Roller,, Fox Coilovers 35's and others, ,
Truck of the month
Ranger Of Danger,,,project truck,
also look for Blues Traveller Elite registry, ,
corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:23 PM   #3
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by corkey View Post
sometimes if you have somebody push down a bit on the hood when pulling the handle it will release right away , others bump it a bit with the palm of the hand,, but not tooo hard, , it might leave a dent,,,

I wish it were that simple. That was the method I had to use previously. Now there is a noticeable difference in the tension on the hood release.

I know there is a way to get this stupid hood to pop, I just cannot figure it out, short of taking a saw to the hood.
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 12:35 PM   #4
BrianDye
Michigan
2009 Edge Limited
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 5,600

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Is the hood STUCK (like you can pull the release but nothing happens)...or is your hood handle not popping it?




__________________
[CENTER]'09 Edge Limited AWD
'14 Jeep Patriot
BrianDye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:24 PM   #5
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD
 
briwayjones's Avatar
'00 XLS, '03 Sport
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,357

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The hatch release probably needs cleaning and lubricating. I had to do that to mine a couple months ago. You have to keep trying to pull the release and push down and up on the hood to get it to release. Once you get it open, take the latch off which is easy, spray the mechanism with some WD-40, clean it up, then lubricate it with some grease like lithium grease.




__________________
2000 XLS, 4DR, 4x4, OHV, Manual ; 2003 Sport, 2DR, 2WD, SOHC, Manual
My 2000 Explorer
My 2003 Explorer
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #6
Garretthomas
Independence
96 explorer xlt
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 60

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
you didnt happen to get the saftey catch hooked into the hood release did you this happened to my explorer 2 3 months back and it was a real BIT*H to get realesed it consisted of prying with a big ass crowbar and some wiggling and pushing and pulling i dont exactly remember the trick to it but my grandpa a mechanic of 30 years had some trouble with this one himself we finally did get it without tearing things up to bad just cracked some plastic on the inside of the hood a little but nothing to serious good luck to you man i hope this isnt the case but its known to happen
Garretthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:35 PM   #7
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianDye View Post
Is the hood STUCK (like you can pull the release but nothing happens)...or is your hood handle not popping it?
I pull the release and nothing happens. I know people think that I just need to tap the hood a couple of times, but that has been tried, and the hood release is not pulling on anything, so I can beat on the hood until it falls off and it will not make a difference.

If I can get it open it will make replacing the cable infinitely easier, which is what needs to be done. Is there a way, or do I need an angle grinder?
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 03:37 PM   #8
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
I am getting a little frustrated with this, as you might imagine.
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:03 PM   #9
briwayjones
Elite Explorer
Sykesville, MD
 
briwayjones's Avatar
'00 XLS, '03 Sport
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Posts: 4,357

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
The release is super easy to pull? I wonder if the cable came unhooked somehow. If the problem is the latch than it should be real hard to pull the release.




__________________
2000 XLS, 4DR, 4x4, OHV, Manual ; 2003 Sport, 2DR, 2WD, SOHC, Manual
My 2000 Explorer
My 2003 Explorer
briwayjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by briwayjones View Post
The release is super easy to pull? I wonder if the cable came unhooked somehow. If the problem is the latch than it should be real hard to pull the release.
Maybe that is what it is, if I could open the hood I would examine it, but that brings me back to my original problem.
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009, 07:22 PM   #11
michael2474
Elite Explorer
Columbus, Ohio
1996 XLT - RIP '92 1G
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 11

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Try this...in the future

Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMinton View Post
My hood release is not releasing, which is causing me some understandable concern.

I searched this site and found some useful information, however, try as I might, I cannot find any way to release the hood from the front of the truck.

Could someone post a detailed explanation, possibly with pictures? I am just a bit stupid about this area of my truck, I have never had a problem with hood releases.
I imagine you already found a bad solution to your problem but if anybody else is reading this I may have a suggestion. The Hood Latch has a secondary release lever to the right of the main lever. This can be tripped with a flat blade and a little twisting patience. I discovered this after I cut my cable and now have been fruitlessly trying to push a rope (the cable) back into place. Once you get the hood popped I suggest taking apart the latch mechanism...it's real easy...and clean and lube it up. works like a charm afterwards.
michael2474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 09:43 PM   #12
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael2474 View Post
I imagine you already found a bad solution to your problem but if anybody else is reading this I may have a suggestion. The Hood Latch has a secondary release lever to the right of the main lever. This can be tripped with a flat blade and a little twisting patience. I discovered this after I cut my cable and now have been fruitlessly trying to push a rope (the cable) back into place. Once you get the hood popped I suggest taking apart the latch mechanism...it's real easy...and clean and lube it up. works like a charm afterwards.
I reckon thats what I need to find. I need to get under the hood to work on some other things, and it is doubly frustrating. I am going to get out in the morning and try to work on it, but I really wish I had a diagram or a good exploded picture to check out how it is laid out.
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #13
Sbyrne97
Mason Neck, Virginia
97' Mountaineer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Posts: 540

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
try a to stick something in between the header panel and the press on the hood latch ...I had to do this when a screw driver got jammed between the hood and the header panel and my hand was caught too...was not fun




__________________
97 Mounty inherited from my Pop's
Warrior 153, TT, Rancho 5000's, PA 853...BFG Mud Terrains KM 33x12.50x15 on Black Steelies/w 4" bs, power slot rotors and hawk pads, Mac intake w/K&N air filter...Stock 5.0!!! gotta love that 302..its getting there
Sbyrne97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 09:32 AM   #14
bpopp
99 Explorer 4.0 SOHC
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 39

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesMinton View Post
I reckon thats what I need to find. I need to get under the hood to work on some other things, and it is doubly frustrating. I am going to get out in the morning and try to work on it, but I really wish I had a diagram or a good exploded picture to check out how it is laid out.
bpopp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009, 03:00 PM   #15
JCsEvo
Colorado
2001 XLT
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 36

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have the same problem with mine. what i do when i need to get the hood open is

-pull the release out as far as i can
-take a pair of pliers and grab the cable
-yank to all hell, and it pops right open.

Just a warning thought make sure that you are not pinching to hard otherwise you'll snap your cable. I did that this past Saturday.

If you happen to snap your cable, undo it from its housing strip the black plastic and latch on with a pair of pliers and then pull, it opens really easy that way... but your now stuck with a broken cable, hanging there...

hope it helped a lil




__________________
'01 Sploder, XLT
Custom hail damage and duct tape
JCsEvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 01:08 PM   #16
knappy
steamboat CO
2000 Explorer 2 Dr.
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsEvo View Post
I have the same problem with mine. what i do when i need to get the hood open is

-pull the release out as far as i can
-take a pair of pliers and grab the cable
-yank to all hell, and it pops right open.

Just a warning thought make sure that you are not pinching to hard otherwise you'll snap your cable. I did that this past Saturday.

If you happen to snap your cable, undo it from its housing strip the black plastic and latch on with a pair of pliers and then pull, it opens really easy that way... but your now stuck with a broken cable, hanging there...

hope it helped a lil
thats what i did with mine!
knappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 11:11 PM   #17
LesMinton
Augusta, ME
2000 Explorer XLT
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 19

Vehicle Specs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Original Poster)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCsEvo View Post
I have the same problem with mine. what i do when i need to get the hood open is

-pull the release out as far as i can
-take a pair of pliers and grab the cable
-yank to all hell, and it pops right open.

Just a warning thought make sure that you are not pinching to hard otherwise you'll snap your cable. I did that this past Saturday.

If you happen to snap your cable, undo it from its housing strip the black plastic and latch on with a pair of pliers and then pull, it opens really easy that way... but your now stuck with a broken cable, hanging there...

hope it helped a lil
After many attempts I was finally able to open the hood with this method. I was not able to access the "C" thing for the secondary release, I couldnt get to it through the grill, was too high.

Anyway, now on to my next problem, in a new post.
LesMinton is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Suggest this thread to friends:



Join the "Elite Explorers" Today!



Search Explorer Forum


Top of Page

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:22 PM.



US Flag
We Support Our Troops!

Explore the site!


Copyright 2014 - 1996 Rick Horwitz Photography



Ford Motor Company is not involved in the management of this site in any way.



All tips on this site are for use at your own risk and discretion.

Modifying the suspension on any vehicle will cause changes to its handling characteristics.



Vendor Tools vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.