Should I pull both heads ? '93 4.0L | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Should I pull both heads ? '93 4.0L

sunrse777

Reaction score
City, State
New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
'91 XLT Supercab 4X4
So here's the situation.... it's a '93 4.0L with 145Kmiles. It overheated and has symtoms of a blown head gasket or cracked head,,,, like bubbling into the coolant overflow tank once warmed up. Also, ran very rough.... like a miss.. but this was pre-existing, before the overheat.... So here are the compression numbers .... Cylinder#1 = 125psi, 2 = 125, 3 = 135, 4 = 0 !!! , 5 = 150, 6 = 165..... Tried #4 again after squirting in some oil ... still 0 .... :mad:
OK, so the left head has to come off.... But what would you do with the right one ( cylinders 1,2,3 ) ?? Pull it or leave it alone ? I will probably put a rebuilt on the left side ...... Any recommendations on where I can get a good rebuilt ??? Thanks for your opinion.... :thumbsup:

If I was doing it and it was my vehicle I would do both. Since you are that far in to it, there is not much more work to do both heads. You said it had overheated, so, you probably have damaged the other head or head gasket anyway. Even if that head and gasket are good, it is a good time to do a valve job. I don't think it is a good idea to have one side in top working order and the other somewhat worn.

Sorry, I don't have any suggestions as to where to go for a rebuilt head.

I would do both heads if you are planning to keep the truck.

Thanks Ranger Al -- I pulled both heads over the weekend. Left one was a mess. Burnt / cracked exhaust valve on #4 cylinder. Also I believe that head is also cracked. Plus one of the headbolts was so corroded by one of the exhaust ports that I had to drill it out ... Other one looked OK... But I am going to put two new heads back on ..... I hopefully will get a couple of more years out of this truck ..... :rangerred:

Back